Author Topic: Rear seat noise  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Tyce

• Just got here
Rear seat noise
« on: 22 March 2015, 22:19 »
I have an annoying rattling or shuffling sound, coming from around the rear seats, whenever I drive over bumps. I've tracked it down to the split between the two parts of the rear seat. The sound is caused by the fabric of each half of the seat split rubbing against each other. Putting the rear armrest down stops the sound as the fabric isn't in contact any more, but I don't want to leave the arm rest down all the time. Not sure if this could be the rattle you guys are reporting too? Unfortunately, I havnt worked out how to stop the sound more permanently. Any help much appreciated!

Offline Jimi

• Not said much yet
Re: Rear seat noise
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2015, 02:07 »
I get this one. It's a bit annoying but the sound of fabric rubbing doesn't grate like the other rattle I have - one that I thought was the instrument cluster or A/c vent but is in fact the driver's side knee airbag!!
Australian spec MY14 GTI | Pure White | Manual | Bi-Xenons as an option (vs UK: minus LED tails, plus DCC, plus RVC, plus Discover Nav).

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2015, 10:11 »
Sounds exactly like the problem I posted here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272641.msg2495120#msg2495120

Dropping the large part of the rear seat or the armrest cures it. My car went into the dealer and their only solution was some felt tape on the right side of the armrest as you look at it from in the car, as well as removing / re-seating the armrest. Did it make any difference? I'm not sure. I do know though that my new GTI has exactly the same problem so I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it's a sporty car on 18" wheels and that there will be some noise when going over bumps.

Out of interest do you have leather or cloth seats (I've got leather).

One thing you might want to consider is a product from the below:

http://newgateonline.com/products/application/automotive/squeaks-and-rattles.html

Let me know how you get on if you do.

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2015, 11:40 »
Excellent link Golf-Ball, i could have done with that 4 years ago for my Mk5 GTI, there was a plethora of rattles, squeaks, creaks etc from all over the interior which drove me insane.

Offline Tyce

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2015, 22:59 »
Thanks chaps,

Mine has the cloth seats Golf-Ball. Thanks for the link. The only one that might work is the felt strips. Think I'll swing by the dealer to see if they have any official fixes before I try hem. Will post back.

Cheers

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2015, 09:47 »
Interesting that cloth and leather seem to have the same issue. What's so weird is that I tried stuffing various bits of felt backed card in the gap between armrest and seat and it seemed to make no difference; nor am I convinced the felt strips the dealer fitted worked. Dropping the armrest (but leaving the through load hatch up) definitely makes the sound go though so it's got to be either:

a) Something to do with the armrest mechanism;
b) Something to do with the edges of the armrest rubbing against the edge of the seat;
c) Something to do with lowering the armrest having an effect on the seat in general - such as perhaps loosening how tight the fit is;
e) Evil spirits located somewhere within the rear seat.

I can also tell you that it's not the plastic cup holders in the armrest, nor is it the base of the through load hatch which sounds very cheap and nasty when you tap it.

Evil spirits it is.

Offline Jimi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2015, 10:38 »
I also have cloth. I think the only way to work it out is to get someone else to drive the car and sit in the back. Requires a patient +1!
Australian spec MY14 GTI | Pure White | Manual | Bi-Xenons as an option (vs UK: minus LED tails, plus DCC, plus RVC, plus Discover Nav).

Offline Tyce

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2015, 22:28 »
I sat in the back myself, with the missus driving. It's almost definitely b) golf-ball. I'll have a look at the weekend to see if there's a way to tighten up the pivot point, to reduce opportunity for movement.

Cheers

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2015, 22:30 »
Good luck Tyce and let us know how you get on.

Offline Tyce

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2015, 22:02 »
For those interested, I have managed to fix the rear seat fabric rattle. 

As I posted before, in my car's case the noise is caused by the fabric on the 2 halves of the split rear seat rubbing against each other, when bumps in the road cause the seat to resonate.  I can reproduce the sound by hitting the top of the rear seat with with my fist.

Here's how I fixed it:

Firstly, pull the rear arm rest down, and you will find 2 torx bolts that attach the arm rest to the seat back (see pic below). 

Loosen off these bolts so that the armrest is free to move around a little.  Then push the armrest to the left, as far as the play in the bolt holes allow, and then re-tighten the bolts whilst holding it in that position.  This small amount of play (~2mm) helps to add some clearance between the 2 surfaces of the seat split that make the noise.

This clearance helps, but was not quite enough to completely eliminate the sound.  So I then manipulated the seat bolster (quite forcefully) in order to deform the foam within the seat a little. 

This added a little more clearance, such that the 2 seat split halves were no longer in contact.  3 days and several journeys later, the noise still hasn't returned. 

Would like to hear if this works for anyone else!