Author Topic: Build week 10  (Read 4856 times)

Offline somersetred

• Not said much yet
Build week 10
« on: 15 March 2015, 18:52 »
Hi, i've been reading this forum since August pretty much every day but never registered and posted before.  Currently waiting on a build week 10 car that I believe is in Emden (text tracker doesn't seem to work for me, tracker on web site changed to 5 Friday 6th March).  Having put the order in in September i'm starting to struggle with the wait.  I resisted the R due to the size of the boot and (more realistically) the extra cost, however have been studying the R forum build week thread to try and get an idea of the delivery schedule (I can't seem to find an equivalent on here - sorry if i've made a newbie error).  I am getting the impression most people are migrating from the GTI to the R from reading this so am wondering if I might be in a bit of a minority here?  Really looking forward to moving onto the GTI though, i'm just thinking in reality i'll end up with it in April but am desperately hoping it might end up here in March, in an ideal world next weekend.  I guess the real reason for posting is in case anyone else is in the same boat and / or has any leads as to when a build week 10 might turn up at a dealers in the South West?  This and of course to introduce myself to the mk7 section of the forum.   
GTI pp tornado red

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Build week 10
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2015, 19:08 »
Hello!

Depends on a number of factors.

General concensus is that wait at the dockside in Emden depends on proximity (timewise) to new plate week and where it's going. Tyne bound cars (generally Tyne-Tees region + Scotland) usually get moving in a week, Sheerness and Grimsby cars can sit at Emden for 2 to 3 weeks.

Once on a ship, the crossing to the UK is less than 24 hours, to either of the 3 destinations. Tyne-bound cars going to a dealership close to Tyne dock can go to the dealerships in less than 4 days, Grimsby/Sheerness cars usually take 1-2 weeks.

Your car will probably be going to Sheerness. If you're very lucky, now the rush to get cars to dealerships for March 1st is out of the way, your car could be ready to collect 3 weeks after arriving at Emden. As the plate rush is now passed, the dealership will be a lot quieter,,  so your car may not be at the back of a long queue to get PDI'd for handover.

I've had a car less than 8 days from arrival at Emden, but my dealership is about 7 miles from Tyne dock.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mikeok

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2015, 19:26 »
Hi Welcome.
I'm bw 11. Also text tracker not working for me so may be a issue there.
My R is built and I think at Port now. My dealer said there had been a big back log but as above the rush should be going down now.
GTI is a great car btw you will love
GTI PP,CSG, dsg, DCC, keyless, park assist 19"Santiagos.
Climate windscreen, Nav.

Golf R on order. 5dr dsg, 19", keyless.
Passat Estate Biturbo Black, on order.

Offline somersetred

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2015, 19:49 »
Thanks for both your replies, its appreciated.  Interested to read Monkeyhangers comments regarding the wait from different ports, confirming what I was starting to deduce.  The whole wait has led to me becoming sadly obsessed spending far too much time reading through forums and now even looking at ship movements (thanks to the r forum)!  After reading this forum so much it now seems strange to be actually writing on it, perhaps this is something I should endeavour to keep up (but please let me know if you would rather I didn't).  I guess I am now starting to feel like i'm almost a golf owner so have some degree of legitimacy in doing so.  I was really hoping in September to be taking ownership at the start of March but I guess good things come to those who wait (it really has been a long one) and the alternative was a Focus ST or Alfa guilietta QV, which I am led to believe, aren't quite as.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 20:10 by somersetred »
GTI pp tornado red

Offline mikeok

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2015, 20:30 »
You made the right choice. Don't worry. People queue up for a reason...because they are good cars. It's still frustrating however. Lol
Having run a GTI PP for a yr you will love it.
Climate windscreen, Nav.

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2015, 20:43 »
Mike... Any suspension noises from your PP car during your ownership?

Offline mikeok

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2015, 21:21 »
Hi
No none... done just under 10k now. Had a early oil change at about 7.5 k due to some...very high speed runs to Germany and back about 4X
tyres wore tho...but not changed due to R any time soon..
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 21:23 by mikeok »
Climate windscreen, Nav.

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2015, 21:27 »
I am getting the impression most people are migrating from the GTI to the R from reading this so am wondering if I might be in a bit of a minority here?

You're not the only one around here that has chosen the GTI over the R. I've had my GTI PP for 9 months now and I love it, I am enjoying driving it every day. Fuel consumption is also quite decent for the amount of power and don't regret not choosing the GTD. Anyway you've made the right choice. Enjoy the car when you'll get it.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2015, 23:15 »
Welcome Somersetred,

It's good to see new owners and share their enthusiasm and excitement. So keep posting away!

There used to be build week threads and lots of info in here but it all died off a bit at some point.
The oldest R's are only barely 12 months old so it's no surprise there are lots more threads on the subject on that forum (not that I spend time there as it always seemed to be about bragging and pointless bickering over there) and due to the cheap lease deals the R kind of eclipsed the GTI somewhat but you get that with every generation of Golf as GTI/D owners trade up if they feel the need to.
I've had my GTI PP for nearly 18 months now and have never felt short changed by it and despite the lack of 4wd it still has amazing grip, poise and traction and arguably better looks, better economy (happily running on 95RON) and an engine that does it's thing at lower revs meaning you don't have to ring its neck to make it go!
I think in the (almost) 18 months I've had my PP GTI I've missed having 4wd twice and been thankful I don't have it every time I fill up at the pumps!  :laugh:
Ok, only kidding, but the GTI is a great car that has a breadth of talents you'll appreciate more once you've owned it for a while and then go and drive a different car...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline hastd2

• Here all the time
  • Gti the Ultimate Hot Hatch...
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2015, 16:52 »
Hi am a BW 10 aswell, and mine has arrived at Tyneside today. was in past the dealer and they are hoping to see my Gti PP next week. This is my 2nd Gti Performance and after the hassle I had with my 1st one it hasnt put me off getting an other as they are great cars...you will love the Gti feel.. :whistle:
Build Week 11.04.16 - 2016 Mk7 Golf R, Lapiz Blue 5 door manual, 12 months R/Tax, 2 yrs free service, full tank of fuel, sure guard, and private plate transfer

2015 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Carbon Steel Grey, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.

2013 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Pure White, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.