Author Topic: My Red Tornado Golf 7R: A Mini Review + Golf 7R vs BMW 330d M Sport  (Read 20049 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Get well soon Asker, that doesn't sound nice. Hopefully Spring will have sprung before long and it'll warm us all up and our winter blues will clear the hell out. I had a flu type bug weeks ago and just can't shake it.

Your handover just demonstrates how complicated modern cars are and there's just a bewildering amount of buttons on the Golf steering wheel. You do get used to them all eventually but they're not exactly intuitive. At least they have a good solid feel though.
I jumped in a colleague's R32 the other day and was blown away by a) how good the mk5 steering wheel still is and b) how much simpler cars were just a few short years ago without all of the pointless extras we've come to expect now. You get in and drive a mk5 and can concentrate on driving rather than fiddling around with dozens of pointless sub-menus and settings.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
You get in and drive a mk5 and can concentrate on driving rather than fiddling around with dozens of pointless sub-menus and settings.

Amen to that!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Amen to that. Too much tech which I would probably never use. The button-fest steering wheel is crazy IMO.

I think a lot of manufacturers have forgotten that  less is more.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Amen to that. Too much tech which I would probably never use. The button-fest steering wheel is crazy IMO.

Even parking sensors are overkill imo  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict

That being said, I would have appreciated one of the buttons on the steering wheel to be assigned to cycling the driving mode, or overriding the stop-start for one of those stops at a junction where you know the lights are about to change or your path is about to be cleared (without having to keep the clutch dipped) - just to stop it kicking in on that particular stop.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Nice to hear your enjoying your new R and everything went well on the hand over.  Sorry to hear tour not well.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Very nice Asker. You certainly picked the best colour.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Nice to hear your enjoying your new R and everything went well on the hand over.  Sorry to hear tour not well.

Thanks Geoff for your kind words.

Got 'poisoned' quite badly with incorrect medication from a top Harley Street Doctor.

Once I recover fully, I'll give Red Tornado lots of TLC.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 22:39 by am1w »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict

Thank you kind sir.

Tornado Red on an R is really a stand out colour. I would choose no other. Everytime I look at Red Tornado I feel elated. So many positive comments about the colour and the Cadiz wheels. Plus both items are free. Win, win!

Offline KyleB

• I live here

Thank you kind sir.

Tornado Red on an R is really a stand out colour. I would choose no other. Everytime I look at Red Tornado I feel elated. So many positive comments about the colour and the Cadiz wheels. Plus both items are free. Win, win!
Have to admit I'm not a massive fan of the Cadiz Wheels normally (think the prets look perfect) but seeing them on your car they look spot on.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 22:14 by KyleB »