Author Topic: Heated seat warmth a bit.....pathetic ?  (Read 11357 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Heated seat warmth a bit.....pathetic ?
« on: 25 October 2013, 07:46 »
Hi guys,

Had my heated seats on this morning for the first time (as it was a bit chilly), with my cloth interior. I have to say, whilst they do work, they get no where near as hot as they did in my older Scirocco or then MK5 Golf (with leather) I had before that. Had them on for a good 10 minutes and they just got warm ish on the full setting. At the lower settings (1 & 2) I could hardly feel them. In the Rocco, I could only have them on 3 for about 5 minutes before I had to turn them down.

Anyone else noticed this, and know if this is something that can be tweaked with VCDS. I have seen a whole section on the heated seats within the Central Electronics adaptation channels, and wondered if the current settings could be adjusted form here ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
Re: Heated seat warmth a bit.....pathetic ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2013, 07:54 »
I tried mine too for the first time yesterday. I found after 2 minutes on full the seats were hot enough.

This is the first non-leather car I've had with seat heaters and they certainly seem to work at least as well as I'm used to.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline allycat45

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2013, 08:08 »
I tried mine too for the first time yesterday. I found after 2 minutes on full the seats were hot enough.

This is the first non-leather car I've had with seat heaters and they certainly seem to work at least as well as I'm used to.

I second what Morro says. One press on the seat heater button sets it at 3 bars of heat and within 2 minutes it is too warm and I have to turn it down or turn it off. Like Morro it is the first time I have had seat heating without leather and it does work just as well as it does with leather seats.

Have you checked the passenger seat to see if it is the same ? If it is then either you have, ahem, a well insulated posterior  :whistle:, or it could be faulty. There is certainly no need for an adjustment or VCDS tweak in mine.
Arrived: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Carbon Steel Grey, Service Plan, Winter Pack, Side Airbag, DCC (or ACC - the Adaptive Chassis thing, ok?), Park Assist, Rear View Camera

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2013, 08:08 »
Is seat heat warmth tied in with aircon eco setting? Just thinking if you set your aircon to eco to save fuel, maybe the car saves a bit of energy by only putting out a moderate heat with the seats also?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2013, 08:27 »
You could be onto something there MH, as I was set to Eco mode when I tried it, so maybe that limits the current. I'll try it in normal mode later and see if it makes a difference.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline watson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2013, 09:14 »
You could also see if there is any difference in the 'consumption rate' shown on the 'Convenience Consumption' screen with either setting perhaps.

Jules Winfield

« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2013, 09:22 »
I had heated seats in my Mark 5 and have them now in my Mark 6, and the ones in the Mark 6 aren't nearly as good.  The '5' had five settings for the level of heat; the '6' only has three.

Initially, they get nice and toasty (on levels 2 and 3), but after a while, they don't seem as hot.  Either my derriere gets accustomed to the heat or the seats turn the level of heat down after a while.  If I increase the in-car temperature upwards, the heat level rises again.

Offline Johnc41

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2013, 16:11 »
Hi guys,

Had my heated seats on this morning for the first time (as it was a bit chilly), with my cloth interior. I have to say, whilst they do work, they get no where near as hot as they did in my older Scirocco or then MK5 Golf (with leather) I had before that. Had them on for a good 10 minutes and they just got warm ish on the full setting. At the lower settings (1 & 2) I could hardly feel them. In the Rocco, I could only have them on 3 for about 5 minutes before I had to turn them down.

Anyone else noticed this, and know if this is something that can be tweaked with VCDS. I have seen a whole section on the heated seats within the Central Electronics adaptation channels, and wondered if the current settings could be adjusted form here ?

Every new car I have had has been like that recently. Vw cc mercedes and mk6. The heated seats are sh!t. What's the point of them if they take that long to heat up. Mk5 was great.

Offline blueheaduk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2013, 20:50 »
I think the Mk7 seats are really warm! 3 bar for me heats up within a minute and then after a few more minutes i find it uncomfortably warm... Maybe that'll change in winter but so far very happy :-)

Offline Buddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2013, 23:07 »
Ditto. I've found them nice and toasty.