Author Topic: Hello there - Newbie with Questions  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Redscouse

• Not said much yet
Hello there - Newbie with Questions
« on: 31 October 2011, 08:46 »
Hi All,

My name is Paul and im new to this forum and website, but definitely not new to car forums.

Currently own a 2011 Audi TT-RS which is tuned to around 410bhp. Unfortunately due to my circumstances and wanting to save a bit of money for events next year im looking at selling her off and putting my ''sensible head'' on, with me currently looking at some lovely GTD's to replace her with!
Dont get me wrong, im not jumping down into a totally different league here, only 8 months ago i had another TT which had the same 170bhp engine in her as the current GTD!

Few questions if i may?

Looking to more than likely get a 2nd hand GTD ;
Anything i need to look out for or be wary of (any known issues)?
Which optional extras would you recommend i get?
Which optional extras would you recommend i avoid?

Anything else which may benefit me whilst searching for the perfect GTD?

Looking for a nice 3dr i will more than likely modify slightly, starting with a REVO remap!

Thanks for any help that comes my way, its very much appreciated!

Regards

Paul
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 16:28 by Redscouse »
Currently looking for the perfect GTD

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: Hello there - Newbie with Questions
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2011, 11:12 »
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Well it appears you don't keep your cars for long considering you have a 2011 Audi TT-RS and 8 months ago you have a Audi TT.

Well buying 2nd hand you do have slight problems, colour and what options you would like on the car. The only option that I added was the Flat Tyre Indicator which is well worth the £35 (I believe this can be enabled afterwards). After driving it for a while you also miss other options like front and rear parking sensors. The back isn't to bad its the bonnet that drops off sharply that you have to guestimate where the bumper is.

The other thing is I should have opted for the RNS 510 satnav radio though these can be fitted afterwards. Now depending where you have this GTD from you will need the radio code if you decide to swap radios later and sell yours. Wheels are another personal choice but I don't find anything wrong with the standard 17" Seattle Shodows.

I don't know of any known problems with the GTD. I think the final factor will be what it has fitted and how much they are asking for it?

After you have driven a 410bhp Audi TT-RS you will want a remap but I think they only goto 210bhp for the GTD. There maybe companies that do more but I believe the gearbox and clutch won't take it.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline danski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2011, 12:33 »

Welcome Paul.  :wink:

Wish I ordered Xenons when I got mine, I still dont see why they`re so bloody expensive, but hey-ho.
I love the reversing camera in mine. I have a manual and I`m glad for that - I drove a DSG as a courtesy car and didnt like it, but I think thats personal preference really.
I have 18" vancouvers and prefer them over the 17" seatles, but then, the world is awash with aftermarket wheels anyway.
When I ordered, loads of people were saying that theres no storage, so I ordered the storage pack and have never used the little drawers under the seats, nor the netting it comes with.

As said, about 210 is the most you`ll get from the engine - though mine isnt remapped yet - but I also hear that the REVO map is quite harsh.

Besides that, good motors, I really like mine.
Golf GTD, 2010, 3 Door, Deep Black Pearl, Leather, RCD510, Reversing Camera, 18" Vancouvers, Storage Pack, R LED Rears, More GTECHNIQ protection than I can shake a stick at....

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2011, 12:59 »
danski have you never thought of putting your car spec in your signature so we know what you drive?

Its sometimes confusing when users comment in thread and you wonder what they drive as we do get GTI users commenting in here.

Its a pity there isn't a car section in the user control panel as alot of forums have?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline danski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2011, 15:17 »
There you go Keith, I remember you asked me to do that a while back...just wanted to keep you guessing.  :smug:
Golf GTD, 2010, 3 Door, Deep Black Pearl, Leather, RCD510, Reversing Camera, 18" Vancouvers, Storage Pack, R LED Rears, More GTECHNIQ protection than I can shake a stick at....

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2011, 15:35 »

Thats nice but you've missed the year off?

Offline danski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2011, 16:00 »
Grrrr....

Dont push me Keith  :evil:

Hopefully that now has all you need, including how many doors.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2011, 16:10 »
Grrrr....

Dont push me Keith  :evil:

Hopefully that now has all you need, including how many doors.

Don't forget your location so we know where to pinch the car from  :lipsrsealed:

:tongue: :grin: :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2011, 16:12 »
Hello Scouse Paul,

Your TT sounds like a bit of a beast! Get some pics up or link to where you may already have posted some seeing as you're not new to forums  :grin:
Would love one of those engines in any car.

REVO remap would be good, very good in fact, but you could always try out one of the forum sponsors remaps.  :smug:

As for options, the Charleston Shadows look lovely, 5 doors make far more sense than 3 on such a big car (it's not a coupe like a TT you know!) and can't be retro fitted afterwards when you've realised your mistake!
There aren't that many 'must have' options for the GTD; xenons are useful if you drive a lot in the dark but are rare on GTDs second hand, sensors are very useful but you can live without them and can be retro fitted like most things. In fact nearly all the most useful things can be easily retro fitted so just search out the best deal you can find.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Redscouse

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2011, 17:35 »
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Firstly Keith i see you live in S-O-T, just down the road from me then as i live in Market Drayton, Shropshire  :smiley:

I want the GTD as a 3 door and thats just my personal preference, dont think i will regret this choice. I already have a good idea of what modifications i would like to do and im no stranger to modifying (dont worry nothing chavy) as my Audi TT TDi which i owned for 2.5 years became known at alot of car shows for the way it looked.

Personally i would love a 3 door White GTD, maybe with the 18's on, Bi-Xenon headlights and im not sure which other options yet. Would love the RNS as i have similar systems in both my TT's but i can always retro fit one cheaper if needs be.

Cant really order one new as the lead times are a bit too high and i would preferably want a GTD in the next few months, so currently looking at what is out there, and i think in the next week or 2 ill be down to VW to see if they have any highly spec'ed demo's i can prize from them  :grin:

This is my current car - Audi TT-RS 2.5 in Ibis White, REVO remapped to around 410bhp, 20' RS4 style chrome faced alloys, plus ALOT of other toys. Got this from Stoke Audi in March 2011 - As ive said my circumstances have changed, this car is a mortgage on its own and unfortunately i need to sell it.

Nice video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR1XsGSAIyQ

Thanks

Paul
Currently looking for the perfect GTD