Author Topic: MK3 Golf GTI Diamond Black!  (Read 12751 times)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
MK3 Golf GTI Diamond Black!
« on: 10 October 2011, 17:07 »
Hi all, Just imported this from another well known forum. Seems to be abit more MK3 loving on here so thought id share.

Right this is my new motor, got it for £381.12 off ebay odd amount but hey ho!
So anyway got mot till march and tax till end of the month and showing 70k on the clock but must of had engine changed at some time in its life, no service history but not really fust for that amount.

So here she is let me know what we think:

And the good bits has A/C which is always nice! and has got adjustable headlights aswell:

And no rust in some of the usualy spots:

Unfortunately the drivers side aint as good as the passenger:

Appologies for quality of some photos my camera is an **** lol.

And now for the bad bit my clocks are showing Cerr and have searched and doesnt seem anyone else has been able to shed any light on the cause of this fault?!?

Now what the images dont show is that most of the panels excepts wings and passenger rear quater have been sprayed by some idiot with a paint can for no apparent reason, all look straight only thing i have noticed is some rust coming through one area so may have tried to cover that up?!?! who knows.
Also drivers side sill looks as though its a little flattened so see what shes like tomoz.

So plan is to rip her apart tomoz and see what iv got to deal with and hopefully get a list to gether of parts i shall need.

So today had abit of a mess with the car, in the centre console someone had wired in a push start button and it also had an alarm fitted (not working) so stripped the dash out to investigate.

Removed the push start fairly quickly jus ta few orquadly placed cable ties to contend with and the alarm actualy turned out to be an original vag one:

Which made removal fairly straight forward, So anyway thats all sorted now so thought id have a quick look under the carpets as there normaly damp and flat as a pancake but too my suprise the underlay was bone dry and doesnt appear to ever have been wet, WINNER!

Unfortunately thats as far as the good luck went as i decided to investigate the flatish sill on the drivers side:

Brilliant im well chuffed and passenger sides not far behind:

Im sorry but im struggling to understand why anyone would weld a repair in and then not try and put any sort or underseal or protection on it?!?!?!

anyway that bad news didnt stop there, tops of sills:

And rear arches:

So over all been a good productive day lol. Looks like iv got my work cut out here!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: MK3 Golf GTI Diamond Black!
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2011, 17:31 »
Doesn't seem like such a bargain now! Unless your handy with a welding torch that is!  :grin:
Glad your getting it sorted though, another mk3 saved.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2011, 17:33 »
Don't really think that is worth saving.

Break it for spares and you should see most of your money back.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2011, 17:49 »
Nah i like a challenge, couple of sills and new arches and should be fine....maybe a respray aswel lol! always good to save a MK3 as majority of VW fans have a hatred for the MK3 but i think its coming into its own now. Plus iv just sold my MK2 project so this will keep me occupied for a while.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2011, 18:07 »
Now ive always wondered what a £381 car looked like and now you've shown me  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Be a good car to fix up if you can do the work yourself if your giving to a garage you could easily spend another £300 getting that welding done before paint !

Good luck !
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2011, 18:32 »
Now ive always wondered what a £381 car looked like and now you've shown me  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Be a good car to fix up if you can do the work yourself if your giving to a garage you could easily spend another £300 getting that welding done before paint !

Good luck !

Mine was £320 and boy it was 10000times better than this, break it for spares mate, Break it get some cash back, i wouldnt touch it, there are some really clean cars about £600 plus

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2011, 18:45 »
Yeah mine only cost £300, but with no MOT. £120 for a new bush and 1 sill welded and was on the road!  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2011, 18:47 »
Jeez man, thats a lot of welding needed! Good luck!

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2011, 18:52 »
Yeah mine only cost £300, but with no MOT. £120 for a new bush and 1 sill welded and was on the road!  :smiley:

Mine needed a new box and clutch but I would have changed the clutch anyway with it having 87k on the clock

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2011, 19:04 »
Bargain with that milage. Pity about the box though. Mine had 142k which still isnt mega high! Cant even get a dog sh!te corsa for this sort of price!  :smiley: