Author Topic: will I be ok with a wheel offset of 25 on a mk2?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
Right i'm currently looking at two sets of wheels that are for sale. One set is from a BMW with an ofset of 12 which sounds very low. the second is for a set of ronal 5 spoke flat milled style alloys that are 15 x 7 and with an et of 25. My car is lowered I think by about 60mm (Previous owner) and i currently have a set of 15's with 195/50/r15 tyres with no running probs. What is the correct offest for the Mk2 is it 35? If this is the case will this simply mean that the wheels with an offest of et25 will simply stick out by an extra 10mm over standard? If this is the case then i can probably get away with them but the et12 will probably be a no go?

My dilema is that the rial wheels with the et12 offset are bbs esque but are currently for sale for only 10 pounds with a day to go! My idea is to powder coat em black with a polished rim and should have some nice rims for peanuts. Simliar idea with the ronals but i don't think it will be quite as effective.

Advice?

Offline mcrisp

• Not said much yet
Re: will I be ok with a wheel offset of 25 on a mk2?
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2005, 23:00 »
Correct mkII offset is 35.

Careful here though.  Not just a case of how much the wheel sticks out.

Imagine looking down on the car from above.  If your wheels are a different offset, they no longer rotate about the same point when they turn for steering... eg if they are sticking out more, they are further and further away from the centre of steering rotation which is basically the shock absorber (strut).  Which means steering geometry is all messed up.

Secondly, if offset is further out or in, the suspension geometry is also messed up, because the wheel is carrying the cars weightfurther out (or in) from where its supposed to.  If your wheels stick out further, the wheels begin to tilt inwards and the car rides lower on your suspension.

Before you know it, tyres are wearing unevenly, suspension bushes are wearing out, car is handling badly (sometimes horrific understeer), grip is reduced, braking is reduced...  manufacturers put a lot more thought into suspension geometry than it might seem.  Stick to as close as 35 as possible, and if you get the car lowered get expert tracking done or even consider adjustable track control arms for camber adjustment.  Trust me its worth it.

When playing vauxhall games many will know that Vauxhall use a pain in the arse offset of 49mm.  Many alloy wheel manufacturers do not go any greater than 38 or maybe 42, so most settle for that.  However, after having 38's on a nova for ages the difference when I got a set of proper 49 courtney alloys was phenomenal.  The car drove straight and true like it should again!  a difference of only 11...

Offline marcogolfo

• I live here
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2005, 00:09 »
for real? shouldn't make that much difference should it?

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2005, 08:20 »
Thanks Mr Crisp, most informative! I knew it would make a bit of difference but hadn't really thought about the susp and steering. After three years of Mechanical engineering degree you thought I would have!..... All makes sense though and the calcs that VW would have done in the first place will have designed with that offset for a reason so it would be foolish to differ from that other than very small tollerances. I suppose the price to pay for getting the correct offset will be compensated for by slower tyre wear and less chance of knackering your steering/susp components. Wise words indeed....

Ez