Author Topic: Reflex silver touch-up....  (Read 4793 times)

Offline ABOO

• I live here
Reflex silver touch-up....
« on: 31 May 2010, 19:05 »
Need some touch-up paint for my mk4, LA7W reflex silver gti.

Firstly I guess a kit from VW is perfect match compared to similar from Halfrauds???
Has anyone got part number from VW, and know how much I'm looking at??

Cheers, Kev.. :wink:
2001 aum 1.8T

Offline ABOO

• I live here
Re: Reflex silver touch-up....
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2010, 19:30 »
Just had a look on eBay, and VW reflex silver touch up on there is --8E. Is this a new code for same colour? Or completely different??
2001 aum 1.8T

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2010, 16:48 »
I have the touch paint from VW and it is slightly darker than the original paint. No touch up will ever blend in unfortunately.

I have used a tin of Halfords reflex silver spray and it is such a bad match it looks like a different colour.

Hope that helps.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Birksy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2010, 20:10 »
Unfortunately, high metallic silvers like Reflex never touch in properly as the metallics never get to sit the way they do when sprayed correctly. The result is that they look dark.

Don't buy Halfrauds, it is garbage. Order some paint either from VW or from a motor factors (if you do order it from a factors, ask for the lightest variant/shade). If you get a VW touch in pen, don't use the brush that is supplied as it's far too big and clumsy. Instead, use a very fine artist brush that you'll get from any art or modelling shop, failing that even the end of a cocktail stick will do the job.

The trick is to get the smallest and thinnest amount of paint possible into the chip. Flash it off with a heat-gun (or hair-dryer if you don't have one) for 30-60 seconds and then repeat the process until the chip is sealed. It will never be perfect, but it will be subtle.

HTH
It's been a long time since I rock and rolled