Author Topic: How much will this cost me??  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
Re:How much will this cost me??
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2003, 10:10 »

Cheers lads, if its only going to cost my a ton ill take it to a garage. I know that mesing with the camber on MK1's can lead to all sorts of probs if you mess it up. Only suspension work i have done in the past is lowering my old beetle and that is dead easy!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2003, 11:54 »
Is the audi coupe the complete strut with hub? i know the early ones were. I done the top mounts on my dads Audi 90 quattro and it was a pain. It did have a separate strut and hub, but the track rod and the anti roll bar linkage mounted on the strut.
Have you tried setting the camber with spirit levels, it really is quite effective. Shame i haven't got a way of setting up the toe..

Sounds like my coupe is similar to your Dads Audi 90, although fortunately I haven't had to do to much to mine.........yet. Only thing I've done so far is the n/s wishbone bushes.
Never done the camber with spirit levels although I have come across a procedure for it. I usually take the car to my local tyre place if that needs doing. They have the full laser geometry kit.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2003, 12:00 »

Cheers lads, if its only going to cost my a ton ill take it to a garage. I know that mesing with the camber on MK1's can lead to all sorts of probs if you mess it up. Only suspension work i have done in the past is lowering my old beetle and that is dead easy!

I can remember having loads of grief once I messed up that camber angle on my previous Mk1's.The eccentric bolt that you're required to mark is a bit hit and miss and not exactly precision alignement......I guess thats why I have it mind nowdays, never to mess with it unless absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2003, 12:00 by richandhazel »

golfvr6

« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2003, 12:57 »
When changing shocks on mk3s you have to reset the camber, as they are not inserts but complete struts.