Author Topic: Wiring issues!  (Read 2511 times)

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
Wiring issues!
« on: 30 August 2010, 10:04 »
Have just completed a loom for my mk2 project, its a pre 90's CE1 type loom if that help.

The loom was a standard loom, i have lengthened/shortened most of the loom so i can hide most of the wiring whilst running no dash, and hide the engine bay loom! I have also removed alot of wires i do not need as it will be running an after market ECU and carbs!

Have plugged it back in this morning, and all seems to work, except the relay 8 (Load reduction/x-over relay according to rub johnny's fusebox thread) is buzzing like crazy as soon as i put the ignition on! any ideas what could cause this? everything (except wipers, but that could be a fuse or something) seems to work properly.

Please don't tell me to start from scratch, or leave it as standard...its a bit late for that lol.

Cheers
Mark
2 Mk2's, both in bits, 2 Rocco's soon to become 1, and a Polo 1.3.....
The polo is the only car with MOT and in working order...Doh!!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Wiring issues!
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2010, 11:11 »
have you tried swapping the relay for another? also remove relay and try the headlights, if they work that suggests the wiring from the ign switch is ok.  could be an earth problem, the CE1 fusebox is a bit odd the way it earths, the main earth for it comes out with the wiper wiring
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2010, 08:30 »
ok, have not been doing anything on the car for a while, so decided to have another go yesturday, and found that it was the Indicaor relay buzzing franticly when it is not in use!

Faults are:

Ignition off - Everything seems to work fine, except when i put the indicator Left (parking lights come on as they should) but so does the indicators on that side (dont flash, just on)

Ignition on - The Relay buzzes constantly. Nothing happens when i use hazards, or indicator, unless the lights are on, then they work fine!

Any ideas, I have tried a different relay, and did the same thing, also have uprated all the earths and now are massively over the top, but better than not enough!

Thanks Again
Mark

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2010, 13:46 »
i think you need to go back over your wiring, it seems you removed an earth you shouldn't have or a mistake was made when splicing. the alternative is to go back over all the lights and check all the earth wires for continuity to ground. also check the main earth for the fusebox is ok, the one you are looking for is pin D/22 this should have 1 wire to the wiper motor and the other to a earth jumper block. this jumper block then has a wire from there direct to the battery -ve.  oh and make sure the earth claw above the fusebox has good continuity to ground.

also check the wiring to the left indicators, looks to me like they could be shorted to earth or the loom is earthing via the left indicator bulb somewhere

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2010, 18:06 »
ok, so far all earths seem fine, and cant seem to find anything thats earthing where it shouldnt. The only thing in the indicator/hazard light loom i can see that im not sure about is from A13, black/blue wire goes to the 32pin connector in the dash, and through to the hazard switch, but also has a black wire coming out the same pin (or going in)....but goes nowhere! should this be connected anywhere!?

''the loom is earthing via the left indicator bulb somewhere''

Shouldn't this happen, surely the loom will always earth through bulbs as there is a connection there direct to earth???

Sorry to be a pain!

Mark
« Last Edit: 29 October 2010, 20:06 by tonsofun »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2010, 09:51 »
that's not right, a/13 should ONLY go to the hazard switch, nowhere else. the dash only gets an indicator feed from A/17 which is for the indicator warning light.

if something else is earthing thru the indicator bulb, it'll trigger the lights when you dont want it to. the only thing you want to earth via the bulb is the indicator/hazards ;)

Offline tonsofun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2010, 23:17 »
only one wire come out of the a/13 pin, but it through the 32pin dash connector (and on to the hazard switch) but on the fuse box side on the 32pin connector in the same connection, there is a black wire coming out (which i seem to have snipped :s) does that make more sense? and can anyone look on there loom (if visible) and see where this black stray wire goes! This does appear on a haynes diagram i have, but just stops as if it would be in a different picture, and the rest of the picture seems to be missing!

Also if it helps, i have plugged everything back in, and everything works except.....
The handbrake/brake fluid light (which i can see an obvious mistake on)
The fuse blows for the wiper when it is put on intermittent (havnt look into why yet)
The indicator/hazard relay buzz's like made when the ignition is on, and indicators/hazards are off (work fine when in use)

So somehow the light all work as they should, and i dont think i changed anything! just stripped the cover off the loom, and re-tapped a few connections.

I am confident there are no shorts to either other wires, or earth as i have been over the complete loom again! could be a wrongly soldered wire!?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2010, 10:07 »
that goes to the handbrake warning light :)

the indicator fuse is linked to a wire which goes direct to the wiper motor. D/20, black/green wire.

next step, disconnect the indicator stalk entirely and see if that stops the buzzing. if it does, check stalk wiring but id say it requires another stalk.  check fusebox for water damage as well, round the frotn as well as round the back. if relay hasn't been changed, do so :)

when buzzing, does the light on the dash come on?