Author Topic: pd 130tdi into mk2  (Read 2562 times)

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: pd 130tdi into mk2
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2009, 01:20 »
diesel v's petrol is getting an intresting one.

diesel kick's petrol every time when it comes to torques ATF  but petrol has revs. what matters is what the wheels are getting.

with diesel you need tall gears   power band is strong but it dosent rev.     300 torques at 3000 rpm  or 150 torques at 6000 rpm   if the road speed is the same  power at the whees is going to be the same ish.   

when it comes to fun  i think petrol engines will allways be top  but those diesels do have  lots of grunt  a decent well setup motor on the right gearbox should be good.   defo orth going to the effort of the proper gearbox i would think

all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline wil0

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2009, 03:38 »
what kind of mpg are the pd motors getting in mk2s? it seems like an interesting swap... i heard its straight forward too?

3Door Oak Green 91 MK2 16v GTi

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2009, 12:45 »
it's  NOT a straight forward swap,   easyer than some swaps but compared to 99%  mk2 motor swaps it's more involved

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2009, 12:55 »
there is a reason why there are only a handful of PD converted cars.

Offline blackbeautymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2009, 13:41 »
@diamond hell:

well i believe that is an opinion. always someone to put a dampener on it! :drool:

i never had any troubles with the skoda, i drove it a fair few times and never had any problems with it, in fact i thought it a well balanced, good hadling car and i would be surprised if there was much weight difference between the two lumps and i presume your talking with experience having driven both a mk2 with an abf and a mk2 with a tdi lump right?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2009, 13:43 by blackbeautymk2 »

Offline blackbeautymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2009, 13:44 »
diesel v's petrol is getting an intresting one.

diesel kick's petrol every time when it comes to torques ATF  but petrol has revs. what matters is what the wheels are getting.

with diesel you need tall gears   power band is strong but it dosent rev.     300 torques at 3000 rpm  or 150 torques at 6000 rpm   if the road speed is the same  power at the whees is going to be the same ish.   

when it comes to fun  i think petrol engines will allways be top  but those diesels do have  lots of grunt  a decent well setup motor on the right gearbox should be good.   defo orth going to the effort of the proper gearbox i would think

well its either that pd lump or i look into 2.0 fsit but i then think handling would be an issue as its a big old lump !
« Last Edit: 21 August 2009, 13:50 by blackbeautymk2 »

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2009, 13:54 »
@diamond hell:

well i believe that is an opinion. always someone to put a dampener on it! :drool:

i never had any troubles with the skoda, i drove it a fair few times and never had any problems with it, in fact i thought it a well balanced, good hadling car and i would be surprised if there was much weight difference between the two lumps and i presume your talking with experience having driven both a mk2 with an abf and a mk2 with a tdi lump right?
whilst I may not like the way DH puts his views across, you don't need to drive both to have an opinion.

My mk2 ran a 2.0 16v 180bhp/150lbs 9a/kr set up before I had the PD150 and 02M box installed.  The difference between them is huge.  The valver is a real drivers set up - revvy, fun and no lag.  The PD is much much faster but all you hear is the turbo, there is huge lag and it is noticeably heavier handling wise.

Offline blackbeautymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2009, 14:04 »
thanks for the help, i find that constructive, you have experienced both, and although it was a negative input its still valid from diamond.
Like you say the abf lump and the like are a drivers car, noise etc but i have been there, id like something smooth and quiet and would be very economical.
im in two minds however, the tdi lump, the 1.8t or 2.0fsit or an abf lump? knowing what you tdi is like would you do it again?

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2009, 14:50 »
diamondhell has driven quite a large selection of cars,  i think according to the rules of his garage  garage that any intresting car that rocks up should expect to be driven about and thouroghly tested.   he has driven at least 1 ABF mk2 ( mine) ,   had some ABF cars,    owned, driven tested and abused various VAG diesels 

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2009, 20:37 »
It's not about the weight per se, it's about the weight distribution and you won't find that out until you REALLY push the vRS, which I did while I owned one.

And having handled TDI motors and ABFs I know there's many kilos of difference between the two.

TDI nice, but balance is better.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.