Author Topic: Flapping sound from brakes  (Read 1005 times)

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
Flapping sound from brakes
« on: 31 May 2021, 22:46 »
Picked up my MK8 Clubsport last week and I’ve noticed a flapping sound from passenger side brake it’s like there’s a playing card flapping and it dependent on speed it’s louder as car picks up speed,anybody have experience of this as it’s driving me bonkers,I’ve checked wheel and surrounding areas and all look fine so I’m thinking disc,caliper or pad is the issue

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Flapping sound from brakes
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2021, 06:08 »
Could it be a faulty/damaged tyre? Or even a stone stuck in the tread?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2021, 10:32 »
I’d also go with examining the tyre carefully first, looking for any debris stuck in a groove particularly, but also any other foreign bodies such as a tyre sticker, nail head or basically anything that shouldn’t be there.
Also visually check the inside of the wheel to see if a weight is becoming detached and fouling the calliper or anything stuck behind the spokes.
Have a look for any unusual scoring or signs of swarf on the brake disc too.
Anything that’s not visible means the car will need to go on a ramp so it’s best to have a crawl around in the dirt looking for foreign bodies or signs of unusual wear first.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2021, 10:40 »
Maybe drive shaft gaiter?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DB88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2021, 21:34 »
Checked everything and all seems ok it’s coming from disc,caliper or pad the flapping on the left is there all the time and I get flapping sound on right when hard breaking so I reckon it’s brakes bedding in