Author Topic: Privacy Settings  (Read 2941 times)

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
Privacy Settings
« on: 30 May 2021, 14:34 »
Hi, whats everyone using as regard to privacy settings? Mine is on maximum, when i try to put it on a lesser setting, it seems to comply on the screen, but when i come out of that screen it goes back to maximum. Does it have to be reset every time the ignition is switched on?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Privacy Settings
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2021, 19:30 »
I leave mine on minimum....because if you don't then other things stop working.

Its just a stupid German thing and you are never "private" in a digital world anyway and never will be.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2021, 08:48 »
I find this `Primary User` thing a nightmare, I just want to get in and drive the car! Can anyone tell me how I can just re-set the cars system so I can drive the car as `Guest`? Before I set up the `Primary User`the cars systems worked fine, now, I get all sorts happen, settings change, the mode display wont show up on the screen....Also varies with both keys, one key does one thing to the car, the other doesn't  :angry: :angry: - All I want to do is reset the system to how it left factory, please can someone help??

I leave mine on minimum....because if you don't then other things stop working.

Its just a stupid German thing and you are never "private" in a digital world anyway and never will be.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2021, 09:15 »
The settings are tied to the key you use - definitely!

As "guest" you definitely won't get any sort of settings persistence either...

You can reset the car, go into the settings and do a factory reset.

If that doesn't work you can go full nuclear - go into the MyVW/WeConnect website, delete the car from your profile.

In fact, I had to do this in order to become primary user in the first place, because it wasn't working. Delete car, re-add car from VIN. Goto car, login with my VW password, click "become primary user", enter my S-PIN, authenticate with both car keys.

After that, when it next asks you to enter your S-PIN (ie next time you start the car from cold), enter it and tick the box saying "don't ask me again".

Should be fine after that.

There continues to be changes on VW's servers that cause this problem, they are messing with things daily/weekly that cock stuff up. Its super unstable.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2021, 09:28 »
Thanks Fredgroves, you certainly are the source of all knowledge!!

Do I actually need to register as a Primary User or can i just go the full nuclear method and run as Guest? It seemed to go down hill with all the issues cropping up when I decided to brave it and register as the Primary User, so needles to say I'm reluctant to do that again!!

How can I reset the keys to factory settings? Or does the full nuclear method do that as well??

Thanks again for the help, tearing my hair out with it!

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2021, 11:01 »
How do you get the setting to be on anything other than maximum. As i said it goes on max as soon as i come out of the screen even though i have set it minimum?--is there something else to press before coming out of the setting screen?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2021, 11:36 »
If you do a factory reset on the car it should forget everything and be just like it came off of the production line.

No key profiles, nothing. L

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2021, 12:52 »
Thanks Fred. Tried the spare key, switched the ignition on and off a few times, and so far its holding the chosen setting

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2021, 13:02 »
Thank you, will give that a go! When you say factory reset, you mean the method of deleting from WeConnect or the in car reset?

Guess the keys have to be in the car if the in car reset is done... :nerd:

If you do a factory reset on the car it should forget everything and be just like it came off of the production line.

No key profiles, nothing. L

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2021, 13:31 »
In the car, go into settings, there is a factory reset option. I sets everything back to zero.

If you want to try and get the login working again, you'll need to do the other bit and delete the car from WeConnect (website) and re-add using the VIN....