Author Topic: Golf R 24 Hour Test - After Thoughts  (Read 1860 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Golf R 24 Hour Test - After Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2021, 07:14 »
I definitely wouldn't buy a mk 8r either and if I was forced to buy one it would be the Clubsport. I just can't get away with how it looks for one and I certainly don't want something that appears to be half finished on the software front. My TCR will be staying for the foreseeable 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf R 24 Hour Test - After Thoughts
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2021, 08:11 »
I assumed that just because I had a tenner in my pocket yesterday, I might not have one any more.

I think sometimes we all suffer from a lack of awareness of how prices change too.

A 23k mk7 gti vs a 30k one today... But it has been eight years from one to the other and a lot of "stuff" happened in between.

Thirty grand buys you nothing exciting much now. Even in the time I've mused bmw's what i could have bought for just over thirty is more like 37k...and that was from only the last two years.

Worth it? Hard to say, but it's definitely simply the entry price and there is nothing you can do to influence that.

I suspect in the next couple of years the family milk float will always be North of 40k.

I also suspect that car ownership is not a thing for most in the future.

Enjoy it while you can.

Words of wisdom there. Car prices have ramped up a lot in the last 10 years and in general, people's wages have not. I took a slight pay cut 16 months ago to be in a job I'm liking a lot vs my previous one which was at the most morally corrupt place I've ever worked.

I still think in future there'll be a place for buying a 5 year old car, but new ones will probably be direct leases in 5-10 years time.

"Not being able to afford" can mean more than one thing. I could PCP/lease myself a £70k car for £900 a month if I never ate or drank out, never went on holiday, didn't indulge my hobbies - we all have our priorities with our money coming in. For me, PCPing a car for £500+ a month when my mortgage is £557 amonth is sheer madness. There was a time (10 years ago) when I was happy to pay £400 a month out for 1 car, when we were a 1 car household, but not anymore.

For many people in a MK7/7.5 right now, the Financial jump to a MK8 just doesn't add up.

Just starting to reap the benefits of the ID3 - had it 3 weeks, done 550 miles in it and it's cost me about £8 to fuel it for GTD performance. I'm chuffed to bits with that.

I've gotten a bit braver in flinging it about a bit and despite its raised height to accomodate the batteries, it's very agile with its almost perfect weight distribution and very direct steering not having to accomodare FWD.

£27400 with discount and saving me at least £100 a month in fuel.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.