Author Topic: Cancel that GTI order!  (Read 2905 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Cancel that GTI order!
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2021, 09:35 »
I've mixed feelings on the exterior. It looks more aggressive for sure, but neither variant looks VAG. The Cupra looks like it has pinched a Peugeot front end and the Seat version looks like it has the front end of a Ford Fiesta from the one that Ford pinched the Aston Martin grille from, following Fords' brief ownership.

I wonder how long we'll hold on to the traditional ICE styling of big grilles + intakes = performance (because to a certain extent it does, as ICE cars need air) - on an EV they're completely superfluous. The Tesla M3 has a completely smooth front end. That'll most likely become the EV norm over time to maximise aerodynamics while they remain so heavy (and for pedestrian safety concerns).

Interior wise, those seats add a lot to the look, if I were confident they'd be comfy, given the lack of adjustability, I'd option them (they're accessible on an ID3 if you live in Ireland, with a €1350 premium over the standard seats, I'm sure the UK will get them eventually). Door cards are a little nicer, but this seems such an easy and cheap thing the manufacturer can do to up perceived build quality.

On the German Cupra website, the Born in its most basic form is expensive, and very basic. Apart from the sports seats and 18" alloys, pretty much everything else is an option. Price it up on a spec equivalent to my 204ps/62kWh battery Life spec and it comes in at just over €40k, so that's £38k if VAG follow their normal €/£ equivalencies. Unless they're very creative with equipment in optional "packs", they'll not get the grant and prior experience has shown that my local Seat dealers give bugger all margin in discount. Unless there's a colossal deposit contribution and the grant, that Cupra badge is going to come at quite a cost for a body kit and sports seats. No way I'd be paying £6-9k more for a cupra badge, body kit and sports seats after a (likely) £2k deposit contribution, perhaps the grant and minimal dealership discount. That's a hard sell even for an Audi badge.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2021, 08:59 »
prior experience has shown that my local Seat dealers give bugger all margin in discount. Unless there's a colossal deposit contribution and the grant, that Cupra badge is going to come at quite a cost for a body kit and sports seats. No way I'd be paying £6-9k more for a cupra badge, body kit and sports seats after a (likely) £2k deposit contribution, perhaps the grant and minimal dealership discount. That's a hard sell even for an Audi badge.
Drive the deal normally do decent discounts on SEATs i expect they will do the cupras as well.
"Save £4,500 off a new Ibiza - £5,150 off an Arona - £6,400 off Ateca - £7,500 off Tarraco. All models quoted. We aim to be cheapest"
« Last Edit: 01 June 2021, 09:04 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2021, 11:54 »
Yeah never really found it too difficult getting decent discounts off SEAT or Skoda. If the local dealer can't (or won't) oblige, then the discounts on Drive the Deal are very substantial.

At the moment however, going by Coast2Coast the discounts on Cupra models seem to be less generous. Wonder how long they can sustain such a price differential between a SEAT and a Cupra? :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2021, 12:52 »
20inch alloys?!  :shocked: Having paid for the 19in Michelins in the past I don't think I'd be speccing 20's!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2021, 19:08 »
20inch alloys?!  :shocked: Having paid for the 19in Michelins in the past I don't think I'd be speccing 20's!

The 18" tyres are dear enough, they're pretty much skinny SUV tyres in profile as there are people buying Tiguan space savers for their ID3s, as there's 1.4% in diameter difference. The load ratings are huge as EVs are so heavy - weight rating 99 vs maybe 92 for a Golf.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.