Author Topic: New GTI Clubsport  (Read 13733 times)

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
Re: New GTI Clubsport
« Reply #70 on: 13 June 2021, 11:36 »
Oh Gawd, just tick the box. I'll sleep better tonight then :smiley:
You don't want buyers remorse either. Go for it.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 13 June 2021, 12:32 »
I’ve never seen the point of them but I’ve actually used it quite a bit in my R. The car park at work can be very tight so it’s been an extra thing to use. My S3 was hit 3 times at work. Once needing a brand new bumper. It was repaired then hit again 2 weeks later.  :cry:

I find the rear view camera pretty useful when reversing after dark. No street lights where I live, and the rear view camera image is surprisingly bright after dark (maybe the LED number plate lights help by illuminating the area behind the car), and helps when I’m reversing out of my driveway. It’s also useful for helping parking manoeuvres in confined spaces - night or day.

I find it’s also useful for seeing low level hazards and objects that the rear sensors don’t always pick up, such as my neighbour’s cat lying sleeping on my driveway in the sunshine just behind the car :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #72 on: 13 June 2021, 18:52 »
Hi all,

I was waiting for the volkswizard dcc video before ordering as it’s one thing I wasn’t sure of. After watching I wasn’t convinced it is needed at all. He said he couldn’t really tell the difference over broken urban surfaces but then said it was clearly better on a slightly bad B road when in ring mode. I’m pretty sure there is better tyres on the car with dcc so that would have had a large impact on handling.

Also I think I read on here when doing research that the car is setup slightly differently depending on the wheel size you go for? His car came with 18s and he now has 19s so that might make a very small bit of difference?

I have only been able to test the standard gti and did so on both wheel sizes and found both to be fine for my use. Only thing I didn’t like was the tyre roar on the motorway which was a bit of a disappointment for me although I am told Bridgestones can be bad for that.

Anyway I ordered yesterday and I went with silver, adelaides, winter pack and camera.

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #73 on: 13 June 2021, 20:12 »
Hi all,

I was waiting for the volkswizard dcc video before ordering as it’s one thing I wasn’t sure of. After watching I wasn’t convinced it is needed at all. He said he couldn’t really tell the difference over broken urban surfaces but then said it was clearly better on a slightly bad B road when in ring mode. I’m pretty sure there is better tyres on the car with dcc so that would have had a large impact on handling.

Also I think I read on here when doing research that the car is setup slightly differently depending on the wheel size you go for? His car came with 18s and he now has 19s so that might make a very small bit of difference?

I have only been able to test the standard gti and did so on both wheel sizes and found both to be fine for my use. Only thing I didn’t like was the tyre roar on the motorway which was a bit of a disappointment for me although I am told Bridgestones can be bad for that.

Anyway I ordered yesterday and I went with silver, adelaides, winter pack and camera.

What build time estimation did you get, I got told 26weeks on my order yesterday
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #74 on: 13 June 2021, 20:50 »
Hi all,

What build time estimation did you get, I got told 26weeks on my order yesterday
The dealer said I wouldn’t get a build date for another week or so. I’m in Ireland so I’m not sure if it’s different to Britain.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 13 June 2021, 23:14 »
Welcome woeisme  :smiley:

The DCC isn’t going to be much different on urban roads as the springs are quite firm and the damper valving won’t be quick enough to react to sudden sharp dips or ridges. Been there and done that with a DCC TCR which shares similar suspension to the mk8 Clubsport.

I’m fifty odd years old and suffer an on/off bad back, I spend a good couple of hours driving my non DCC Clubsport almost every day and can assure you that you won’t emerge three inches shorter due to disc compression in your spine after driving the Clubsport. Yes it’s firm but it’s well controlled enough to handle most things the roads throw at you.
I’m sure if there are any differences in suspension between a car specced with 18’s or 19’s it’ll be very minor. I did exactly the same as Mr Volkswizard, I PCP’d a standard spec dealer stock launch car and swapped the 18’s for 19’s. It all works just fine.

I’m afraid I’ll have to disagree with one particular comment splashalot made which is very unusual for me, I do think the passive suspension offers everything you need but it might not offer everything you want. For that you have the option of DCC which is just that, an option, an embellishment to ice the cake.
Once more I’ll say it, coming from a very long history of experience with sporty Golfs both standard and modified: if you fancy DCC then get it. If you’re trying to nick in under the UK £40k tax then it won’t be something absolutely essential you’re missing.

And that’s it from me, if I hear DCC mentioned one more time I’m going to scream, so I’m unsubscribing to this thread and am going to hide away somewhere quiet. Over and out.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #76 on: 14 June 2021, 02:13 »
....I do think the passive suspension offers everything you need but it might not offer everything you want. For that you have the option of DCC which is just that, an option, an embellishment to ice the cake.

I've deleted my rant.

To anyone wondering whether or not to spec DCC, IMO the only correct answer is: Try it for yourself.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2021, 05:10 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 14 June 2021, 15:14 »

And that’s it from me, if I hear DCC mentioned one more time I’m going to scream, so I’m unsubscribing to this thread and am going to hide away somewhere quiet. Over and out.
Haha, something tells me you’ll be back.

For forgot to say that this forum has been a great resource when trying to find info so thanks to all.

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #78 on: 14 June 2021, 15:32 »
Random clubsport question? Are they all built in Zwickau or Wolfsburg?
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 14 June 2021, 17:05 »
Random clubsport question? Are they all built in Zwickau or Wolfsburg?

I may be wrong but I think that outside of China, all Golf production has moved back to Wolfsburg. The 11th character in the 17 character VIN Code should indicate the build location so maybe someone with a Clubsport could check for you; A ‘W’ would indicate it’s Wolfsburg.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl