Author Topic: Detailing My ClubSport  (Read 11540 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Detailing My ClubSport
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2021, 06:28 »
Good write up :smiley:

With cleaning behind the brakes, you could just push the car forward a foot or two?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 23 March 2021, 07:17 »
@Brocky; I’ve seen and read your posts over on DW (I’m a lurker, not a member on that forum). It sounds like you gave your new pride and joy a good ‘going over’. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your efforts.

When I snow foam my car, I don’t rinse the car first as I find the snow foam clings and dwells better on a dry car. There are no hard and fast rules though and to rinse or not rinse first is down to personal preference.

I’m planning on giving my car a bit of a spruce up today, if I can beat the sunshine and find a spot on my driveway that stays shady for long enough (living in a very hard water area, cleaning the car in full sun doesn’t really work - dried on water spots are a pain). I probably won’t snow foam before washing the car today though as it’s not caked in dirt (currently driving it less than 15 miles a week on an essential weekly supermarket run during lockdown) - it’s just a bit grubby, so it’ll get a hose down before I start my three bucket wash. My car OCD tells me it needs a clean though :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 23 March 2021, 08:53 »
All this talk of car cleaning is embarrassing, mine has only had one wash this year which wasn't very successful as my pressure washer broke down just as I was getting started. My wheels haven't been cleaned since September! Hopefully I'll get around to it soon...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 23 March 2021, 09:00 »
All this talk of car cleaning is embarrassing, mine has only had one wash this year which wasn't very successful as my pressure washer broke down just as I was getting started. My wheels haven't been cleaned since September! Hopefully I'll get around to it soon...

No need to feel embarrassed @Watts. If I do clean mine today, I think it’s only the second time this year it’ll have been cleaned. Lack of use during lockdown, and being fortunate enough to have a garage means it’s not getting that dirty.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2021, 14:10 »
@Brocky; I’ve seen and read your posts over on DW (I’m a lurker, not a member on that forum). It sounds like you gave your new pride and joy a good ‘going over’. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your efforts.

When I snow foam my car, I don’t rinse the car first as I find the snow foam clings and dwells better on a dry car. There are no hard and fast rules though and to rinse or not rinse first is down to personal preference.
Hmm, yeah, it's about finding a balance between clinging and running, isn't it?  Although, I guess more cling is better than more run, as the post-foam rinse will sort out the moving of the dirt.  I might try a foam without rinsing first next time.  Maybe I will just pre-rinse sills and wheels, if there's chunky grime there.  Cheers!

I think my issue was that the foam wasn't thick enough.  My dilution was right and I ended up with half the bottle left after covering the car, so maybe I was being too liberal in that area.  I will crank that mixture screw round a bit more next time and see where it takes me.

Good write up :smiley:

With cleaning behind the brakes, you could just push the car forward a foot or two?
No.  I think you thought I meant the calipers.  The issue is the size of the front disks in the 18" wheels, Watts.  There's no room all the way round to get the Wooly between the disk and the barrel.  I need to find a good quality brush with a slightly slimmer handle.

I managed to grab a quick couple of shots in the morning and then got a decent one as I came out of the petrol station last night.

Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2021, 14:15 »
Thanks for the info on your detailing, I'm slowly building my kit and technique up.

I just need to find someone to clay and paint correct/polish as I don't feel confident myself until I see how it's done properly.

I may have missed it but how much was the ceramic coating job?  And also on a side note, how many miles are you getting out of a tank having fun with your car?

2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2021, 15:01 »
Thanks for the info on your detailing, I'm slowly building my kit and technique up.

I just need to find someone to clay and paint correct/polish as I don't feel confident myself until I see how it's done properly.

I may have missed it but how much was the ceramic coating job?  And also on a side note, how many miles are you getting out of a tank having fun with your car?
No problem.

I have never used clay but having seen it done on videos, I wouldn't have an issue doing it.  I would just start with a soft Bilt-Hamber clay with a view to moving to a medium, if needed, and LOTS of lube.

As for polishing, that all depends on the condition and type of the paint.  Again, start small.  I wouldn't have the cojones to attempt a DA session on a car without a little training or use of a test panel first, to be honest.  That said, I would totally grab an applicator and some very light compound polish/glaze such as Auto Finesse Tripple and give my car a going over by hand, if it needed it.

The CC was just under £400 with a courtesy car to use for the 2.5 days it was in the bay.  That said, it was a new car prep and a correction job will be different.  What area are you in?

Currently getting a tad under 36mpg and I have just hit 2,000 miles.  I do a fairly even mix of motorway and A/B roads and I am still very much in the 'having fun with the new car' stage, so maybe this will improve with time.  Maybe...  :whistle:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 24 March 2021, 15:26 »

No problem.

I have never used clay but having seen it done on videos, I wouldn't have an issue doing it.  I would just start with a soft Bilt-Hamber clay with a view to moving to a medium, if needed, and LOTS of lube.

As for polishing, that all depends on the condition and type of the paint.  Again, start small.  I wouldn't have the cojones to attempt a DA session on a car without a little training or use of a test panel first, to be honest.  That said, I would totally grab an applicator and some very light compound polish/glaze such as Auto Finesse Tripple and give my car a going over by hand, if it needed it.

The CC was just under £400 with a courtesy car to use for the 2.5 days it was in the bay.  That said, it was a new car prep and a correction job will be different.  What area are you in?

Currently getting a tad under 36mpg and I have just hit 2,000 miles.  I do a fairly even mix of motorway and A/B roads and I am still very much in the 'having fun with the new car' stage, so maybe this will improve with time.  Maybe...  :whistle:

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll give the clay a go.  I live in Surrey so CC probably more expensive lol

As for the MPG, I get about 250 miles out of a tank so getting roughly 20-24mpg, that was before the Revo map and still the same.  All urban driving though and too much fun in sport mode lol

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 24 March 2021, 15:55 »
Yeah, my guy is North-West based, so not an option.

Open up a thread with some pics.  The Detailing section here is a bit dead, by all accounts, but I am trying to give it a bit of life myself.  You might get some suggestions when folks can see your paint condition.

With regard to clay - If possible, use a Fallout remover and a Tar remover beforehand.  I haven't the need to use it just yet but I have AutoSmart Tardis & CarPro IronX at hand.  This will remove or, at the least, loosen as much debris as possible, meaning less chance you'll be pulling 'big stuff' on your paint with the clay.  Start with a soft clay, as I said, and remember to work in straight lines.  Very little pressure needed.  Literally just the weight of your fingers.  There is no such thing as too much lube. 

Also, definitely consider giving it a go over with Tripple via a hand applicator and buff off with a good microfiber.  I recommend the Kiln Zero Finishing Cloth from in2detailing.  Tripple is a very gentle polish (more of a glaze, really) and hard to get wrong.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 24 March 2021, 17:07 »
Thanks for the tips  :grin: