Author Topic: Best polish for black car  (Read 4884 times)

Offline A5H

• Not said much yet
  • MK4 1.8 Turbo
Best polish for black car
« on: 24 October 2013, 21:11 »
My golf is black, when you look at it close it has glittery bits, is it metallic?

Whats the best polish to bring the paintwork back up and help remove minor scratches?

What do you use on your black golf?

Been looking at the Turtle wax black box? Any good reviews on this?

Thanks for looking in  :smiley:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Best polish for black car
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2013, 10:02 »
If yours is a MK4 (which I'm assuming it is), then it should be LC9Z which is a metallic black. I'd recommend Menzerna polishes, they work well on the hard paint VW use. I use a combination of Power Finish and Final Finish on mine and they are very effective.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2013, 10:03 »
Products like the Turtle Wax you mentioned are just full of coloured fillers that mask the defects in the paint for a short while.

You need to permanently remove them using a polish with a degree of cut and ideally with a rotary or dual action machine. Once you have a good base to work from you can use sealants, glazes and waxes to protect the finish and give the depth of shine you are after.

Many will disagree, but to most people, wax is wax. Yes some will be more durable, some will offer a greater shineyness, but none of them will reach their full potential if the standard of the paint underneath is not up to scratch.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2013, 14:42 »
Depending on how bad the scratches are you might get away with using something like this http://spautopia.co.uk/exterior-car-care/polishes/scholl-concepts-a15-allround-polish-250g without the need of a DA. Then finish with a wax.

Ideally you want to be using the 2 bucket method for washing, a decent wash mitt and a decent drying towel.

Offline A5H

• Not said much yet
  • MK4 1.8 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2013, 18:33 »
Thanks for your help and links people

Yeah i been reading about the 2 bucket method, will go buy myself 2 buckets, 2 wash mitts, some drying towels and some micro fiber cloths the weekend  :wink:

If yours is a MK4 (which I'm assuming it is), then it should be LC9Z which is a metallic black. I'd recommend Menzerna polishes, they work well on the hard paint VW use. I use a combination of Power Finish and Final Finish on mine and they are very effective.

Again thanks for the link... Will order these 2 over the next few days :)

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2013, 20:37 »
Don't forget the grit guards!

Offline A5H

• Not said much yet
  • MK4 1.8 Turbo
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2013, 20:57 »
Don't forget the grit guards!

Never knew they existed

Thank you very much  :smiley:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2013, 09:06 »
Never seen the point of grit guards. They will stop your mitt getting in the grit at the bottom of the bucket, but not the grit that is still floating around. I never put my mitt down in the bucket to pick up the shampoo, just lay it flat just under the surface and it's well away from any grit. Ring it out on the ground before rinsing it in the second bucket and not much crap will end up in there either.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2013, 11:54 »
I guess it's a bit try and see what works for you...

My mk6 is deep black pearl, and I use poorboys products with what I think are great results. If I've got the time I will do all the below if not wash dry QD+ ***always use 2 bucket with mitts***

Poorboys super slick suds shampoo
Use a towell not a leather
Poorboys black hole (not every wash)
Poorboys EX-P sealant (not every wash)
Poorboys natty blue paste wax (not every wash)
Poorboys QD+ (this is really effective after a wash and dry when you haven't got time for wax and stuff)

Wheels poorboys wheel sealant

Good luck, the results after a good detailing of your car are always worthwhile. Show us some pics of the results.

35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline A5H

• Not said much yet
  • MK4 1.8 Turbo
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2013, 14:20 »
The car has been sat for 9 months, been started but not been washed for about a year, full of cob webs so i think even a wash with some shampoo will make a big difference  :laugh:

Cant wait to wash it but the weather over the next week dont look to go, were supposed to be having a storm with 80mph winds

I will be sure to take some before and after pics  :smiley: