Author Topic: TCR - the logo on the back- was it extra?  (Read 740 times)

Offline Dylan L

• Just got here
TCR - the logo on the back- was it extra?
« on: 27 January 2024, 17:26 »
Hi guys,

Scouting a TCR and notice some have the TCR logo on the back right side of the boot lid and some do not. Was this a standalone extra? Some with the scales logo on the sides have it on the back as well while others do not. 

Thanks.
DL

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: TCR - the logo on the back- was it extra?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2024, 17:52 »
They have been fitted by the owners. The TCR logo from the factory was only ever just ahead of each rear arch.

If you look at a TCR with a sunroof just be careful to check the black plastic surround as they are prone to cracking at the front corners. Ask the seller if it has been replaced. It seems to be a fitting error at the factory as I've not heard of any that have gone a second time.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dylan L

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2024, 08:46 »
Thank you for this info. Great advice.

How is it compared to the Golf R or Clubsport? I have heard positive comparisons of the TCR with both with the exception of the Mk8 Clubsport, apparently that is more responsive slightly than the TCR. It is a bit more powerful too.

?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2024, 10:15 »
I can't compare the cars having not driven an R or a MK8 CS. Pretty sure someone who has owned all of them will be along soon.... :laugh:

What I would say though is that the TCR is a great drive, the engine is superb (the extra 10bhp in the MK8 is unlikely to make any real difference) and the ergonomics are excellent. Plus, I've seen them from under £20k which makes them a bargain. Ultimately they are all great cars and all have their pluses and minuses. Your view and pocket can only decide.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dylan L

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2024, 16:17 »
I’ve seen a few for sale. One has all the options, fully loaded and it is 31K, but it has three owners and is a private sale … and I’m a bit windy about it. Not sure exactly why.

A lot of them seem to be 3 owners or more. Not many keep them long term. Why is that.  I have seen one with only 16,000 miles on the clock and when I enquired the seller said they sold it 12 months ago to a gent who has had it in his garage for a year and hardly driven it, not ideal! And it also had FIVE owners! With only 16K mileage! How!!??

There are two or three for sale now that are really tempting. The 31K one mentioned above, another witjout an Akropovic exhaust though which I enquired about and suddenly the price has gone UP 1500 or so! I asked why and they said they advertised it too low as it is in such good condition!

Hmmmmm, decisions!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2024, 22:53 »
Pretty sure someone who has owned all of them will be along soon.... :laugh:

Who would actually be that daft?   :whistle:

Dylan, at the end of the day you want what you want, but there’s absolutely no darned way I’d pay £31k for a TCR with a ropey history or a vendor that’s taking the piss above a 1 owner, lowish mileage mk8 Clubsport from a VW dealer with a minimum two year warranty for less money.

I’ve owned an Ed40, mk7 R, TCR, mk8 Clubsport and mk8 R.
The best one is the one you’re sat in at any one time as they’re all really really good cars. So buy on condition and look past the glitz of an Akrapovič if it’s not attached to an absolute mint car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner