Author Topic: Roof Bars  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
Roof Bars
« on: 10 March 2021, 14:26 »
So...last year had to drive from London to Northern Ireland and wife said to go in her car  :cry: :cry: This year I've said only going if in my car but need the luggage space.  I have a box and bars for her car but does anyone have bars they would recommend please for Golf?

I'm already feeling the shame of carrying a box on such a car but needs must eh!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Roof Bars
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2021, 14:38 »
Thule! wing bars.

I've had mine for 7 years, really good, never fallen off.

Take them off when you aren't using them though or they will mark the paint and damage the door rubbers. Also if it absolutely tips down, you can get a bit of water ingress.

Don't leave them on the car beyond needing them.

That's not a Thule problem, its just how any bars attach to a gutterless, mounting point free car like a Golf Mk7.

That reminds me, gotta swap the feet over for some Mk8 ones - I think they might be different.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2021, 14:46 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Last Edit: 10 March 2021, 14:55 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2021, 14:47 »
So...last year had to drive from London to Northern Ireland and wife said to go in her car  :cry: :cry:

BTW...Drive to NI? In a Golf??

You don't need roofbars you need..

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2021, 18:27 »
So...last year had to drive from London to Northern Ireland and wife said to go in her car  :cry: :cry:

BTW...Drive to NI? In a Golf??

You don't need roofbars you need..

Oh god I’d love one of those! Don’t think the Irish Sea would though lol

Well usually go through Wales but Liverpool to Belfast, nice cabin overnight, will be a nice trip lol

Last year had to do it in a Mokka and the whole time there I was almost crying missing my car 😭 some great roads through the mountains and along the coast road so this time it’s my car or not at all lol

Thanks for the tip though, and don’t worry! As soon as I get there they are coming off as to me it’s like a Ferrari towing a caravan 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2021, 21:24 »
I'd love to drive the west coast of Ireland. One day soon hopefully.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2021, 22:00 »
You boys over in England might get a decent run in your motors if you come over to ni  great coast runs  well suited to gti golfs

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2021, 22:09 »
I'll come next year, Boris will have the tunnel complete by then, could pop over for the day  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2021, 10:02 »
You boys over in England might get a decent run in your motors if you come over to ni  great coast runs  well suited to gti golfs

I've been coming to NI for 25 years and based out of Kilkeel and Newcastle so I know the coast road like back of my hand and always wanted a performance car on that road and this year will finally do it lol.  We had booked to come in December but obviously lockdown 3.0 happened.

I love the roads up to Spelga so will def drive that! Spectacular driving, bit bumpy at times and know road well enough to watch out for certain spots.  Looking forward to that Dual from The Point to Newry  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Where are you?  You will probably see me and my plate lol

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2021, 11:02 »
Thule wingbars here to along with cycle racks.
No issues whatsoever fully loaded up with 3 adults and a boot FULL!!!
Same again in July for Silverstone classic
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys