Author Topic: State of play with my suspension/bushes - Don't know what to make of it  (Read 11313 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Re: State of play from VW - Don't know what to make of it
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2008, 22:00 »
bit dubious that its the actual lock thats broken - surely its just a catch and a soleniod  :undecided: it was your rear passenger door that has problems? - for that price i'd want a gurantee that if the problem isn't cured i'd want my money back!

as for your list

1 - tell them to fook off
2 - £50 to rectify with discs and pads and hour of your own time
3 - wishsbones possibly? basically they are £25 per side and just 5 bolts un-does them - about an hour's labour max
4 - get a new bracket welded on
5 - minimum legal limit is 1.8mm so plenty of mileage left
6 - i paid £30 from VW themselves for my fluid change 2 WEEKS AGO!
7 - need them - time to upgrade to full aero  :cool:

don't worry about the cambelt - its 40K or every 4 years.  I expect your service book isn't stamped with it so they've taken one look and gone 'its not been done' they keep trying to tell me the same thing yet i've got receipts to prove the work was done

Legal UK minimum tyre depth is 1.6 mm! :tongue:

well i'm making sure he's safe then isn't it  :tongue: :grin:

:grin:

But, this is Bob, though, isn't it??!!  :undecided:  :grin:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #21 on: 27 August 2008, 22:01 »
 :cry:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #22 on: 27 August 2008, 22:04 »
The brake fluid, easy job though isn't it?  Drain it out, then top up with new stuff, whilst bleeding?

The Mk4 system isn't the easiest on the planet to bleed, though.  You'd be wise to buy a bleeding kit.  & by the time you've done this..................................

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 27 August 2008, 22:05 »
The brake fluid, easy job though isn't it?  Drain it out, then top up with new stuff, whilst bleeding?

The Mk4 system isn't the easiest on the planet to bleed, though.  You'd be wise to buy a bleeding kit.  & by the time you've done this..................................
Point taken.  Definitely doesn't need doing at the moment though after one year.  I'll leave it, and if it does come up on the MOT, will just get it done then.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #24 on: 27 August 2008, 22:07 »

Point taken.  Definitely doesn't need doing at the moment though after one year.  I'll leave it, and if it does come up on the MOT, will just get it done then.

get your brakes fitted first if doing the work yourself or get the garage doing the work to do the brake fluid at the same time

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2008, 22:08 »

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2008, 22:08 »
Reckon front and back brakes should be done in an hour at a garage?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2008, 22:09 »
Reckon front and back brakes should be done in an hour at a garage?

fronts yes
rears perhaps a little longer - depends if you're fitting the new splash shields as you have to remove the hubs to do so

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2008, 22:09 »
I didn't buy any new splash shields.  Just got discs and pads coming.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2008, 22:10 »
I didn't buy any new splash shields.  Just got discs and pads coming.

sorry i thought you were upgrading to the 256mm.  So you're just replacing the standard rears at the moment?