Author Topic: golf mk4 carpets wet  (Read 11141 times)

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
golf mk4 carpets wet
« on: 19 December 2011, 17:47 »
the carpet behind the passenger seat has a big puddle and is really damp , and in front of the seat the footwell it is sligthly wet under the sound deadening , the drivers side is dry , . any ideas what it couuld be ? theres no sunroof ,

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: golf mk4 carpets wet
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2011, 17:50 »
Golfs have a common problem of the water running down the windows in the doors, (cant be helped, its natural) the water then runs off the window down the inside of the door, take your door card off and you will see a large metal plate holding the window motor in and a few wires. The rain water eventually rots the the metal plates seel away and the water then gets down through the bottom of the door card and into the car

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2011, 18:14 »
just had another look dont seem to be going i cant find any nipples near the hinges , also its towards the right bhind the seat as in nearer the centre of the car , and under the seat to

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2011, 18:19 »
The pollen filter cover in the scuttle panel is the usual suspect for water in front and rear passenger footwells. If the cover is cracked or has a section broken off it wll certainly cause a leak. The part is readily available from the dealers.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2011, 18:28 »
and is it best to just remove it and check if its damp ? , or see if theres any cracks

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2011, 18:33 »
Yeah just remove cover and inspect it and check for a damp pollen filter underneath. Cover may not be cracked but rather poorly fitted by whoever done it last. Recently fixed this same problem in my mates Mk4.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Hoggy

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GT TDI 150.
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2011, 21:39 »
Golfs have a common problem of the water running down the windows in the doors, (cant be helped, its natural) the water then runs off the window down the inside of the door, take your door card off and you will see a large metal plate holding the window motor in and a few wires. The rain water eventually rots the the metal plates seel away and the water then gets down through the bottom of the door card and into the car

Sure I recognise this from somewhere..oh yea, i wrote it.  :rolleyes:  :grin:

I had the same problem, it caused a lot of condensation in the car and also the floors of the vehicle were damp. So take the door cards off, loosen the large metal plate attached to the door, then clean the old sealent off the bottom of the plate, then seal it back on allong the bottom with a type of sealent (I used Tigerseal). Then replace everything in the opposite order.

Hope this helps.

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2011, 21:46 »
if its in the rear it wont be pollen fillter.Have you got a sun roof.
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2011, 22:08 »
if its in the rear it wont be pollen fillter.Have you got a sun roof.

The way the Mk4 floor is set out means it can easily get to the back if its a pollen filter leak. My mates Mk4 sat on level ground and all the water gathered in the rear footwell but both front and rear were soaking.