Author Topic: banging on rear of my mk4 golf gti changed the rear shocks still knocking s  (Read 11056 times)

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
hi thanks for the info i think i will have to take it to my local garage an get it done as it get on my nervs i have just changed the rear shocks aswell as i was told it was them thanks for the info cheers gordon

Offline wolfsburg-edition-Gti

• Not said much yet
hi just to let you know, i took my gti for mot and it failed mot on the rear bushes, :sad:   being a good friend he let me use his ramp and tools to carry out the work, so i did, if your going to do this yourself i recommend a ramp, you will have a very very hard job on your drive or similar, once p on the ramp you have to then drop the back of the beam, supporting it with a stand, cable tie brake pipe on passenger side to beam and move clamps out of the way and then the fun begins, :laugh:  first of all you have to burn the bush out (unless it comes out with a hammer) then you have to get chisel and a pretty hefty hammer and smash the middle casing of the bush out, watch your hands!!!! :grin: then once thats out get a small air grinder or similar and carefully cut through the outer casing from the old bracket so you can collapse it to slide out casing as you will never get it to just slide out, get a fine bit of sand paper and smooth out the rear beam where bush sits, lube up the new bush then refit with special tool and repeat on the other side, once completed cut the cable tie you used to hold brake pipe and marry back up the beam brackets with the body and bolt up.....       JOB DONE

but it was very hard to get the 2 old bush casing out, so i you do decide to try it yourself, GOOD-LUCK!!!!!!! :wink:
hi thanks for the info i think i will have to take it to my local garage an get it done as it get on my nervs i have just changed the rear shocks aswell as i was told it was them thanks for the info cheers gordon

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
All done in my garage, so is that half a mebership to the club, seeing as you had a ramp. :smiley:
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
cheers peeps i thinmk i am going to take it to a garage i will just buy the bushes what are the best bushes an where would be the best place to get them from cheers gordon

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g4suspension_rear.php

The Fabia Vrs ones are very popular i got them on mine, bit firmer than standard and no voids.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline GJSEB79

• I live here
arfe the vrs ones abit more heavy duty then an i am think of putting 225 45 18 tyres on rather than 225 40 18 these should comfort the ride abit better aswell shouldnt they i just which there was a garage local that some one could refer me to in lincolnshire

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
Yeah they are  abit more heavy duty, aprently the Fabia Vrs is a heavier car, but they definately seem good.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline wolfsburg-edition-Gti

• Not said much yet
come again

All done in my garage, so is that half a mebership to the club, seeing as you had a ramp. :smiley:

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
mines needed doing for 6 months now  :rolleyes: just cant be bothered with the hassle  :lipsrsealed: and I anit paying the £375 VW quoted  :angry:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...