Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2846453 times)

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9830 on: 06 January 2020, 22:25 »
 :sad: :sad: :sad:

Sadly I sold my Clubsport at the weekend. It was by far the best car I have ever owned but a number of recent theft attempts meant that I just couldn't relax at night. Over the Christmas break I decided it was no longer worth the stress so I swapped it for a Touareg - I realised that no other hatchback would come close so I went to the opposite end of the spectrum for a big lump.

I have a number of upgraded parts (S2T DSG paddles, spare black wing mirror caps, footrest, armrest tray, Turbo Technics intake pipe, K&N drop in filter, 034 Motorsport dogbone mount inserts, BBS SR 18" winter wheels... I'm sure there are more) which I will list in the for sale section over the next few days. Please feel free to send me a message in the meantime if you fancy anything.

It has been an absolute pleasure being part of this forum, everyone is so willing to help and I have learnt loads!

Thanks everyone

Andy
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9831 on: 06 January 2020, 23:07 »
That's a shame Andy. But no car is worth that amount of stress and worry, not even a Clubsport.  :sad:

The consolation is that while it's not as exciting as a Clubsport, the Touareg is still a very nice car  :smiley:

Hopefully you'll enjoy the new car and still pop in from time to time.
7.5 GTD

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9832 on: 07 January 2020, 08:32 »
Yeah, I'm sorry to read that too Andy but glad you're happy with your new car.
I'll keep an eye on the Classifieds - I have a set of the BBS SR wheels on mine, they'd be a great buy for anyone looking for a second set or just a change from Parkers/Brescias/Pretorias - they're fab wheels.

Good luck.
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #9833 on: 07 January 2020, 09:09 »

Sadly I sold my Clubsport at the weekend. It was by far the best car I have ever owned but a number of recent theft attempts meant that I just couldn't relax at night. Over the Christmas break I decided it was no longer worth the stress so I swapped it for a Touareg - I realised that no other hatchback would come close so I went to the opposite end of the spectrum for a big lump.

I have a number of upgraded parts (S2T DSG paddles, spare black wing mirror caps, footrest, armrest tray, Turbo Technics intake pipe, K&N drop in filter, 034 Motorsport dogbone mount inserts, BBS SR 18" winter wheels... I'm sure there are more) which I will list in the for sale section over the next few days. Please feel free to send me a message in the meantime if you fancy anything.

It has been an absolute pleasure being part of this forum, everyone is so willing to help and I have learnt loads!

Thanks everyone

Andy

Sorry to hear you had to move on, but I'm sure you will be very happy with the Touareg. They're really nice cars and quite rare too.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9834 on: 07 January 2020, 09:31 »
Sent it back to get the Infotainment screen changed. No questions asked and a quick vehicle check carried out without any request.
Excellent Service from my local dealer again.
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #9835 on: 07 January 2020, 10:16 »

Thanks everyone

Andy

That's not great to hear the reason for having to sell up. Shame but totally understand. Have sent you a PM regarding the alloys though.

Thanks,

Raj

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #9836 on: 07 January 2020, 21:26 »
@Mutley - can you let us know how you get on please? Interested in Carista for doing the exact same modifications and don't have any need/desire to go OBD and Android as on iOS stuff here.
I'm especially interested with the Stop/Start voltage thing - do you get the dash message every time that the stop start would have worked throughout a journey, or does it only flag once at the first? Cheers, hope this makes sense.

Replacement Carista arrived yesterday, and this one works fine so I made a few mods:

Sound Akuator - reduced volume to 50%, but didn't really notice much difference, so I adjusted it down to 0% this evening and will try it out tomorrow.

Heated Seats - set to remember last setting, so rather than defaulting to level 3 it should remember what level was last used next time I switch it on.  However, with it on level 1, you have to press it 3 times to switch it off (eg: one press to move to level 2, another to level three, then once more to switch it off).  The problem here, is that level 3 was then the last level used before switching it off, therefore that's what it goes back to when it's switched back on.  Either that or the Carista mod isn't working/not working as I am expecting it to.  Perhaps I should leave it on level 1 and switch the ignition off so it stores level 1 as my default?  I'll test this tomorrow.

Headlight washers Changed these to only activate after 20 squirts on the windscreen (default was 10) and only if the stalk is held in for 2.5 seconds or longer.  This annoyed the hell out of me, blasting soapy water over my immaculately clean headlights & bonnet, so happy to report this mod is working as expected.

Start/Stop I wanted to default this to 'Off' but not fully disable it, as I do use it occasionally when in particularly heavy traffic when I'm sitting idle for more than a few minutes at a time.  Otherwise it's just plain annoying, cutting out too soon and starting up again as soon as the moron in front decides to crawl forward 1cm for no reason at all.  However, Carista (unlike ODB11) isn't able to toggle the default on this button.  Instead, it tricks the battery into thinking there isn't sufficient charge for stop/start to kick in and would therefore disable it completely.  As mentioned, I don't really want to do that so I will stick to manually disabling it with the button when I start the car for now.  Apparently, this mod will be available in the next update and is already available in the Carista Beta Programme (which I need to sign up to).

Alarm Chirp on remote lock Enabled this just to see what it did, really.  As it says on the tin, the alarm chips one high pitched beep when locking the car.  It also enabled a menu on the system to enable/disable this via the dash should I change my mind and want to turn it off again.

Lane Change Indicators I use this function a lot but always find 3 flashes isn't quite enough so upped it to 4 (5 is the max).  Unfortunately, this setting doesn't seem to work at all, and it still blinks 3 times then switches off.  I re-applied the setting tonight, but still only blinks 3 times so I'll give up on that one.

Throttle Response This could be set to either 'Gradual controlled by time' (default) or 'Direct controlled by threshold'.  I only set this tonight and haven't driven the car since, but my understanding is that it will remove the slight dead spot/lag on the throttle and make it more responsive, like it is in S mode but without redlining the gear changes.  So hopefully getting rid of a slight annoyance I have when pulling onto roundabouts (I usually drop it into S then revert to D once over).  Will report back on this mod tomorrow.

In summary, there's quite a lot you can do with it.  I know it's not as advanced as ODB11 but at £15 it's a fraction of the price.  Yes, there's a subscription to pay (£10 for a week pass or £33 for a year), but you get one month free when you buy the dongle and my guess is that once you've set it up how you want it, you're unlikely to change anything again - if you do, you can weigh up whether it's worth a tenner to change it or not.  I probably wouldn't have bothered spending £45 on ODB11 basic (or £145 for the pro) for the few bits I was interested in changing, especially as I'd need to fork out extra for an Android phone/tablet.  But £15 for Carista is a bit of a no-brainer, when it works with my iPhone.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2020, 21:31 by Mutley75 »
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9837 on: 07 January 2020, 22:16 »
Keep us posted on the throttle response. I’ve been thinking about getting a pedal box for a few weeks but this could be an interesting alternative.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9838 on: 07 January 2020, 22:39 »
@Mutley - can you let us know how you get on please? Interested in Carista for doing the exact same modifications and don't have any need/desire to go OBD and Android as on iOS stuff here.
I'm especially interested with the Stop/Start voltage thing - do you get the dash message every time that the stop start would have worked throughout a journey, or does it only flag once at the first? Cheers, hope this makes sense.

Replacement Carista arrived yesterday, and this one works fine so I made a few mods:

Sound Akuator - reduced volume to 50%, but didn't really notice much difference, so I adjusted it down to 0% this evening and will try it out tomorrow.

Heated Seats - set to remember last setting, so rather than defaulting to level 3 it should remember what level was last used next time I switch it on.  However, with it on level 1, you have to press it 3 times to switch it off (eg: one press to move to level 2, another to level three, then once more to switch it off).  The problem here, is that level 3 was then the last level used before switching it off, therefore that's what it goes back to when it's switched back on.  Either that or the Carista mod isn't working/not working as I am expecting it to.  Perhaps I should leave it on level 1 and switch the ignition off so it stores level 1 as my default?  I'll test this tomorrow.

Headlight washers Changed these to only activate after 20 squirts on the windscreen (default was 10) and only if the stalk is held in for 2.5 seconds or longer.  This annoyed the hell out of me, blasting soapy water over my immaculately clean headlights & bonnet, so happy to report this mod is working as expected.

Start/Stop I wanted to default this to 'Off' but not fully disable it, as I do use it occasionally when in particularly heavy traffic when I'm sitting idle for more than a few minutes at a time.  Otherwise it's just plain annoying, cutting out too soon and starting up again as soon as the moron in front decides to crawl forward 1cm for no reason at all.  However, Carista (unlike ODB11) isn't able to toggle the default on this button.  Instead, it tricks the battery into thinking there isn't sufficient charge for stop/start to kick in and would therefore disable it completely.  As mentioned, I don't really want to do that so I will stick to manually disabling it with the button when I start the car for now.  Apparently, this mod will be available in the next update and is already available in the Carista Beta Programme (which I need to sign up to).

Alarm Chirp on remote lock Enabled this just to see what it did, really.  As it says on the tin, the alarm chips one high pitched beep when locking the car.  It also enabled a menu on the system to enable/disable this via the dash should I change my mind and want to turn it off again.

Lane Change Indicators I use this function a lot but always find 3 flashes isn't quite enough so upped it to 4 (5 is the max).  Unfortunately, this setting doesn't seem to work at all, and it still blinks 3 times then switches off.  I re-applied the setting tonight, but still only blinks 3 times so I'll give up on that one.

Throttle Response This could be set to either 'Gradual controlled by time' (default) or 'Direct controlled by threshold'.  I only set this tonight and haven't driven the car since, but my understanding is that it will remove the slight dead spot/lag on the throttle and make it more responsive, like it is in S mode but without redlining the gear changes.  So hopefully getting rid of a slight annoyance I have when pulling onto roundabouts (I usually drop it into S then revert to D once over).  Will report back on this mod tomorrow.

In summary, there's quite a lot you can do with it.  I know it's not as advanced as ODB11 but at £15 it's a fraction of the price.  Yes, there's a subscription to pay (£10 for a week pass or £33 for a year), but you get one month free when you buy the dongle and my guess is that once you've set it up how you want it, you're unlikely to change anything again - if you do, you can weigh up whether it's worth a tenner to change it or not.  I probably wouldn't have bothered spending £45 on ODB11 basic (or £145 for the pro) for the few bits I was interested in changing, especially as I'd need to fork out extra for an Android phone/tablet.  But £15 for Carista is a bit of a no-brainer, when it works with my iPhone.

Thanks for this - my nephew has the carista (but I may buy my own!) and many of the above tweaks are what I intend to do with my GTI when received!
« Last Edit: 07 January 2020, 22:44 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9839 on: 08 January 2020, 05:26 »
@Mutley - cheers for the update, looks really useful. I’ll keep an eye out on their Carisa blog too for the Stop/Start thing. Cheers
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints