Author Topic: has anyone got a build date for the golf R yet?  (Read 56640 times)

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
Re: has anyone got a build date for the golf R yet?
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2009, 20:31 »

However, UK reviews of the Golf R should appear before Christmas. My understanding is that road testing will take place shortly, in time for the monthly mags to insert a piece in their January editions

I did an internet search a few weeks back and found a VW press release stating that the roco R cars would be released first to testers, followed by the Golf R later in late Nov early Dec.

Offline SilverChariot

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2009, 21:19 »
No build date for me - to be honest, don't bother chasing stealer. If he has anything to tell me, he's always quick to phone or drop me an email.

But, on certain German forum, a chap who placed an order 30.10.2009 has got an unconfirmed build date of 15.04.2010.
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
Golf R - 5 door - DSG - Rising Blue Metallic paint - 19" Gloss Black Talladegas - Leather - RNS 510 - Parking sensors - Cruise control

R Forum - The place to talk Rs: http://www.rforum.co.uk

Offline SilverChariot

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2009, 21:25 »

However, UK reviews of the Golf R should appear before Christmas. My understanding is that road testing will take place shortly, in time for the monthly mags to insert a piece in their January editions

I did an internet search a few weeks back and found a VW press release stating that the roco R cars would be released first to testers, followed by the Golf R later in late Nov early Dec.

I was under the impression Golf R press test drives will happen in January 2010. This was stated in an internal VW email that my stealer showed me.
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
Golf R - 5 door - DSG - Rising Blue Metallic paint - 19" Gloss Black Talladegas - Leather - RNS 510 - Parking sensors - Cruise control

Offline Booski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2009, 08:19 »
No build date for me - to be honest, don't bother chasing stealer. If he has anything to tell me, he's always quick to phone or drop me an email.

But, on certain German forum, a chap who placed an order 30.10.2009 has got an unconfirmed build date of 15.04.2010.

So we may possibly be waiting till May-June ??
Golf R (on order): 5dr, rising blue, 19", sat-nav, ACC, parking sensors, Bluetooth tel prep, cruise control, Lux pack, storage pack, rear airbag/seatbelt sensors..........BW07 confirmed Can't wait!

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2009, 11:39 »
VW has to get a move on with the R because of the next Mercedes-Benz A-Class. This will be Golf size and feature an AMG version. Early reports are that this car is out to eat VW's lunch. Die-hard GTI fans will not be fazed, but the new A is likely to eat into Golf and Audi A3 sales. You can bet VW realizes this, so I expect R to be available in March if not before.

Another rumour I hear is a talk of a Golf above the R. Anyone know anything about this?
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2009, 11:58 »
Die-hard GTI fans will not be fazed, but the new A is likely to eat into Golf and Audi A3 sales.

That'll be us then. :smiley: Not heard anything about a new A-Class, no. But I do generally like AMG's products except for the gearboxes.
Golf R

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline SilverChariot

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2009, 12:23 »
Another rumour I hear is a talk of a Golf above the R. Anyone know anything about this?

I don't think it'll happen because:
(a) Would trump the forthcoming Audi RS3
(b) Emission targets
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2009, 12:27 »
Tailpipe - Do you work form MB or something?

You keep mentioning the new A Class and it looks terrible.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2009, 13:33 »
Tailpipe - Do you work form MB or something?

You keep mentioning the new A Class and it looks terrible.

Dave

Absolutely not, but I follow the industry very closely and know what's going on. Perhaps I should have also mentioned the BMW 1-Series M car that's in the pipeline - this will arrive before the next A-Class. I doubt whether either car will be a substitute for the GTI anytime soon, but the sheer numbers of Golfs on the road makes many buyers want something that's a little more unique. No one has seen the new A-Class yet, but with Gorden Wagener and Joel Piaskowski (two of the hottest car designers) working at MB since 2008, we should expect an improvement.

As far as the car above the R is concerned, when the Golf was launched there was talk of two models above the GTI. The only way I can see this happening is to use Audi's new 5-cylinder turbocharged unit (no problem because it was originally a VW engine). This engine is used in the TT-RS and in the RS3. It could easily be used by a Golf (same chassis) and doesn't need to develop the same bhp so would fit in beneath both Audis without eclipsing either. A Golf with 340 bhp would be a mighty beast, no?

As things stand, I think it is only a matter of time before some nutter shoves a 5-cylinder engine in the Golf.
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.