Author Topic: Manual or DSG?  (Read 102802 times)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Manual or DSG?
« on: 09 July 2009, 21:06 »
I've never had an automatic and have driven one once recently (Golf GT Sport mk5).

Not that impressed as I prefer control, I can't see what all the fuss is about with the DSG.

Surely it's just a slick and fast auto box....

I've ordered mine with a manual box, the dealer told me they get about a 50/50 split with manual/DSG.

Purely a personal opinion so no flack please.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Manual or DSG?
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2009, 21:12 »
Oh, I was getting flak for choosing the DSG!

I think it entirely depends on the driver, and how you drive and what you want from the car.  I've never had an automatic and wasn't even thinking about it.  But I drove an automatic in the USA last autumn and liked it - partly because it's a lot easier to adapt to a left-hand-drive if you're not worrying about gears.

Then a couple of hours before my test drive a neighbour started to talk about the benefits of automatics.

Then the test-drive car happened to be a DSG.  The salesman asked if I was OK to drive that, and I said OK, still not thinking about it.  However, that evening I started to think about it.  And decided to have it.

I get the feeling the anti-DSG voices are those who like over-revving their engines in low gear, and those who haven't driven one.  The more DSG cars that are arriving, the more people are saying they like them.  And if racing cars use them, then they can't be that much of a liability.

But manual has to be fine too - especially if you're not a lazy sod like me who can't be bothered to change down to overtake.

Rolfe.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2009, 21:18 »
Ive never owned an auto before and only drove a car twice with it (mk5 & mk6 GTI) but this time I am going for DSG.  I think it suits my driving conditions
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Jkctr

« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2009, 21:52 »
The best thing about the DSG is its also a manual. Whack it in M and use the stick and paddles to change on a fast road blast and its great fun, knowing your gears are changing quicker than those of a ferrari are nice aswell  :grin:

Oh and for anyone who thinks manual is quicker

(one of the fastest human gear changers vs DSG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2009, 21:59 »
DSG is a cracking bit of kit and really is fast. I think I prefer manual for that bit more hands on fun.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Jkctr

« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2009, 22:02 »
But DSG is manual mate, just knock the gear stick up and down instead of into positions!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2009, 22:10 »
But DSG is manual mate, just knock the gear stick up and down instead of into positions!

I've never driven the GTI's DSG, only Audi TT's (S-Tronic) It had park, neutral, reverse and sport If I remeber rightly, Is that what you mean by still using the gear stick ? and of course the same flappy paddles for changing up and down.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Jkctr

« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2009, 22:12 »
No, you knock the stick to the left and then can be used to change up and down (by knocking it up for up and down for down) and you can use the paddles. It means when you are turning and the paddles are out of reach you can knock the stick for the next gear.

Some people complain of it not holding gear but a DSG map allows for the gear to be held without changing and for a higher rev limit for a few quid, should come standard but i imagine its to save on emissions and for the common driver.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2009, 22:20 »
No, you knock the stick to the left and then can be used to change up and down (by knocking it up for up and down for down) and you can use the paddles. It means when you are turning and the paddles are out of reach you can knock the stick for the next gear.

Some people complain of it not holding gear but a DSG map allows for the gear to be held without changing and for a higher rev limit for a few quid, should come standard but i imagine its to save on emissions and for the common driver.

Oh I didnt know that. I may call a garage and ask if I can take a DSG GTI out.

Jkctr

« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2009, 22:34 »
It took me a good while to fully get to grips with it (over a month) and learn about how to use it (how much throttle to use to hold gears and when to change for optimum gears) but its so worth it! Great in D, fun in S on the motorway and a blast in manual when out for a spirited drive!