Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 288154 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2980 on: 03 February 2012, 09:53 »
next!

marginally better nose but still  :sick:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2981 on: 03 February 2012, 09:54 »
So McLarens are the only ones so far not have a stepped nose? Interesting.

Nick

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2982 on: 03 February 2012, 11:09 »
Is it me or have the intakes on the side gotten ALOT smaller?

What the hell is that stepped nose things, as a aerodynamics mongtard I'm sure it does its job, but man its one hell of an eye sore!

PS Go P di Resta!

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2983 on: 03 February 2012, 11:19 »
Its a regulations thing, there is a max height the nose can be now, and the teams want the body higher just in front of the cockpit, hence the ugly step.

McLaren's noses have historically always been low, not sure on the reason

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2984 on: 03 February 2012, 12:01 »
Its a regulations thing, there is a max height the nose can be now, and the teams want the body higher just in front of the cockpit, hence the ugly step.

McLaren's noses have historically always been low, not sure on the reason

Ahhhh.....I see I see. Cannot wait for the first race!!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2985 on: 03 February 2012, 12:39 »
Regulations for this year state that the bulkhead of the monocoque (or the area immediately in front of the cockpit) must have a height of 625mm to protect against side impacts from other cars. Then, in a span of 150mm, the nose of the car must be lowered to 550mm (a drop of roughly three inches) to prevent the nosecone from entering the cockpit/helmet area of another car.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2986 on: 03 February 2012, 12:41 »
perhaps the most fascinating rumor of this offseason that surrounds the F2012 is regarding some special materials that may be used on the car’s floor. To accommodate for the smaller side radiators, Ferrari are supposedly tinkering with some heat-dissipating compounds out of which they could make the floor of the car. After admitting some parts of the car’s body were hard to manufacture (for unknown reasons), the speculation is that the area under the engine will be made of a puzzling (and, no doubt, incredibly expensive) material designed to pull heat away from the engine and dissipate it in the airflow under the car. No one has confirmed this yet, but reading between the lines seems to indicate something special is on the way.

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #2987 on: 03 February 2012, 20:50 »
2012 ferrari side on shot to compare with mclaren

i think mclaren have a genuine aerodynamic masterpeice here. there's no way that ferrari nose is as slippery as the mclaren, i think they'll loose quite a bit in drag.

I've yet to see a proper side on shot. of this car, i think their quite twitchy about it.

Yet last years HRT looks ready for 2012, i'll put a fiver on it being the same car in 2012 with a few ripspeed parts.

Can't wait to see what Red Bull have up their sleeves. I'm praying for a stepped nose. Also looking forward to testing and seeing if Williams can claw back some respect with the Renault engine.

Anyone know if this sky f1 channel is only available in hd or if it will be in normal sky+ format aswell?
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 20:57 by Roverdose »

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2988 on: 03 February 2012, 22:11 »
completely agree, i think the Mclaren looks brilliant, the car is similar to last years and it is a brilliant chassis and aero pack by the looks of it. The ferrari does look good thou, i think they are being abitious.

I think this year will be great, the cars are becoming cars again! Less driver aids and more skope for intuitive design especially for next years season when the cars will see a massive change!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #2989 on: 04 February 2012, 11:28 »
next!

marginally better nose but still  :sick:

the more i see it the more i like it, but i dont know why