Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 287851 times)

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2160 on: 30 March 2011, 14:38 »
Red Bull have Adrian Newey.  Simples

That man gets far to much praise!! Yes he is good at his job but he is not the only person designing that car!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

adamrob69

« Reply #2161 on: 30 March 2011, 18:03 »
I dont have a clue how Red Bull have actually developed a car this fast, the technical spec behind it will be very interesting when it all comes out  :smiley:

Simple really, something is not legal in someway, I think sooner or later somebody will work it out.

Front Wing flexes like mad...however its not necersarily the wing but the whole nose:

Remember back in silverstone when they first introduced the new front wing....it fell off on one of vettels runs in practice - maybe because they hadnt quite perfected the flexing part....

Anyway, they are clearly breaking the rules; however they carnt be proven guilty because the test to do that is not fit for purpose! so will be an intresting one....

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2162 on: 30 March 2011, 18:12 »
I dont have a clue how Red Bull have actually developed a car this fast, the technical spec behind it will be very interesting when it all comes out  :smiley:

Simple really, something is not legal in someway, I think sooner or later somebody will work it out.

Not neccessarily. The double diffused wasnt illegal when it was introduced, it could just be a new development within the team? I do have to say the speed it seems to have looks as if there is a rabbit off somewhere.

They have flexible wings. That's what makes them so fast. There are many theories as to what is going on with the wing, how it's built, etc.

The one I think is the ACTUAL reason is the way they lay the carbon fibre layers on the wing. It's done in such way that they'll be solid straight when at low speed/being tested (I think it's only 150kg it's tested with) and when it gets enough downforce put across it, it'll flex. Remember that the wings are subjected to 450kg+ at speed, so of course it'll pass the FIA test with only 150kg. Just because it passes a test doesn't make it legal.

And I'm tired of hearing people say "ooooo Vettel is the best driver out there!". No he's not! Hamilton and Alonso are the best in F1 at the moment. Vettel JUST won the title with a FAR superior car than the rest. If Hamilton or Alonso had the same car last year they would have won the title half way through the season, the same way as Button with Brawn. He had a cracking first half of the season then when other teams brought out their double diffusers suddenly Button only won I think 1 or 2 races in the second half, but won the title because the Brawn was untouchable in the first half. The problem with Red Bull is that no one knows how they're doing the front wing business, so no other team has brought their own flexi front wing.

There was another theory that last year's RB had a flexi front nose, and that they had a discreet driver operated movable front wing (operated by the legs), but I don't believe them theories as much, I stand by the way the carbon is arranged.

Offline bricey

• I live here
  • One of a few with a PROPER engine
« Reply #2163 on: 30 March 2011, 19:17 »

Not neccessarily. The double diffused wasnt illegal when it was introduced, it could just be a new development within the team? I do have to say the speed it seems to have looks as if there is a rabbit off somewhere.

They have flexible wings. That's what makes them so fast. There are many theories as to what is going on with the wing, how it's built, etc.

The one I think is the ACTUAL reason is the way they lay the carbon fibre layers on the wing. It's done in such way that they'll be solid straight when at low speed/being tested (I think it's only 150kg it's tested with) and when it gets enough downforce put across it, it'll flex. Remember that the wings are subjected to 450kg+ at speed, so of course it'll pass the FIA test with only 150kg. Just because it passes a test doesn't make it legal.

And I'm tired of hearing people say "ooooo Vettel is the best driver out there!". No he's not! Hamilton and Alonso are the best in F1 at the moment. Vettel JUST won the title with a FAR superior car than the rest. If Hamilton or Alonso had the same car last year they would have won the title half way through the season, the same way as Button with Brawn. He had a cracking first half of the season then when other teams brought out their double diffusers suddenly Button only won I think 1 or 2 races in the second half, but won the title because the Brawn was untouchable in the first half. The problem with Red Bull is that no one knows how they're doing the front wing business, so no other team has brought their own flexi front wing.

There was another theory that last year's RB had a flexi front nose, and that they had a discreet driver operated movable front wing (operated by the legs), but I don't believe them theories as much, I stand by the way the carbon is arranged.
+1
vettel isnt technicly a brilliant driver,he won the title last year due to a good car just like button did in the brawn....
DOLPHIN TRAINER

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2164 on: 31 March 2011, 09:10 »

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2165 on: 31 March 2011, 20:36 »
It seems that the nose on the red bull is where the flexibility is, I think other teams should be looking into the nose design rather than the wing itself. 
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2166 on: 31 March 2011, 20:54 »
Interesting!

« Last Edit: 31 March 2011, 20:55 by Khare »

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2167 on: 31 March 2011, 21:01 »
To add more

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2168 on: 31 March 2011, 21:15 »
I picked up Autosport earlier and the race review is interesting, the front wing on Vettel's car on the 1st page has only mm under it.

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2169 on: 31 March 2011, 23:38 »
Very interesting pictures there Khare, as I suspected it looks like flexibility built into the nose itself.  From those onboard pictures it looks like an illegal modification.  Depending on Red Bulls performance in the next race I can really see the other teams contesting this until the FIA investigate the Red Bull design further.  I understand that Red Bull should be applauded for design innovation but when so many rule changes are being made to make F1 more competitive this seems to sour the taste a little bit. 
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS