Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 288162 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2100 on: 14 March 2011, 22:03 »
Doubt he'll change tbh. He idolises Senna, and he had his golden years at Mclaren and as I said Hamilton has said he's happy at Mclaren. Plus every driver always hints about driving for a better team, but Hamilton hasn't + Mclaren is already a competitive top team. Time will tell though  :smiley:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #2101 on: 14 March 2011, 22:11 »
didnt monobrow say the same when he joined Mclaren...
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2102 on: 14 March 2011, 22:25 »
Nope. Alonso has always said he will end his career at Ferrari, it'd be the last team he ever joined.

Offline Mini Mark

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2103 on: 15 March 2011, 08:29 »
I don't think for one minute that Lewis would leave Mclaren by choice as has been said its the team that have invested a lot of time and money in his career.  I think its great that there are 2 British Drivers in a British team lets hope they have a good season this year

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2104 on: 15 March 2011, 12:53 »
I don't think for one minute that Lewis would leave Mclaren by choice as has been said its the team that have invested a lot of time and money in his career.  I think its great that there are 2 British Drivers in a British team lets hope they have a good season this year

Couldnt agree more! Mclaren is nearly the perfect team in my opinion. I do think they signed button more for publicity than tallent thou, Button is a good driver and has really progressed his tallent over the past 2-3 seasons but in my opinion he isnt one of the "title contenders" in Mclaren.

I honestly think Hamilton will never leave Mclaren unless something drastic was to happen, the only reasons i can see his leaving is if the teams really slips into the mid feild without signs of recovery or some form of disagreement within the team which is a big possibility because he is a "title contender" and if Mclaren dont give him the opportunity i cant see him settling for one title in his career, i think he seeks to be up there with the likes of Senna and Schumacer (in the glory days)

I do have to say the HRT car looks very good and seems a massive leap forward from last year, signing Liutzi (or however you spell him name) is a fantasic move on there f1 campaign, i really hope we dont get the divide in teams like from last season again, its definitely not what the sport needs, some intense midfeild fighting for points would be great!!

In the long run i can see Massa being replaced for either Kubica or Button if Button steps his game up again

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2105 on: 15 March 2011, 13:04 »
Kubica was likely to replace Massa when his contract was over at Ferrari, but I can't see that happening now, Massa's contract ends at the end of this coming season and I highly doubt it'll be renewed. He'll probably slip into a midfield team.

However, Ferrari have always had 1 very good driver and one team player, they've never had two great drivers in the same team. They've got Alonso in there and they've wanted him for years now, since 2005 in fact. They'll replace Massa with another equal driver. What they want is a driver that can win races and a driver that can secure second place without causing worries about taking each other out, red bull style. Hence why they kept Barrichello so long alongside Schumacher. Schumacher won the races, and Barrichello secured second place (or there about) without threatening the title win by not allowing opponents to score too many points.

I think Heidfield would be a pretty decent driver for that. He's fast, but he's not the fastest. Give him a Ferrari and he'll pick up lots of top 5 places while Alonso sweeps up the podium.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2106 on: 16 March 2011, 10:55 »
I think Heidfield would be a pretty decent driver for that. He's fast, but he's not the fastest. Give him a Ferrari and he'll pick up lots of top 5 places while Alonso sweeps up the podium.

No chance would Heidfeild get a seat at Ferrari!
He would really have to do something spectacular this season to even think about that, his F1 racing career was almost over till Kubica's accident.

If anyone i think it will be Kubica, if not Button because as you say he's a good driver for securing second place with a calm head but bold enough to take risks for points. I dont know what contract Button has at Mclaren?

Either way Massa will definitely be out of Ferrari at the end of this season unless he has a repeat of 2008 which i would love to see! I would love to see Massa fighting for the championship again, he pulled a great show in the 2008 season, shame it didnt continue after he returned after his accident

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2107 on: 16 March 2011, 13:00 »

No chance would Heidfeild get a seat at Ferrari!
He would really have to do something spectacular this season to even think about that, his F1 racing career was almost over till Kubica's accident.

Oh really? Massa joined Ferrari in 2006 having scored a best place of 4th with sauber 2 years before! Hence why I think Heidfield would be a good candidate, he regularly scores top 8 finishes in a midfield car, and with a front runner no doubt he'd score podiums, a few wins maybe, but even when he was in BMW with Kubica and the team were competitive he STILL didn't win....It's what Ferrari look for.

Kubica won't join Ferrari (sadly) for a few years now I think. He'll take at least 1 to recover and be back up to speed, and he'll do another year elsewhere to prove he's still competitive before Ferrari even think about offering him a contract.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2108 on: 16 March 2011, 13:43 »
Hmmm i still dont think he'll have a chance with Ferrari, his last racing season he was so far off Kubica it was embarasing! His last good race was Montreal 2008 i think when the team was doing quite well, the rest of the season he was terrible! In 2009 Kubica was finishing top 8 regularly and Heidfeild was well down in the 10-16th positions if i remember right.
He's has a terrible time with Qualifying aswel, 2009 he really struggled getting into the top 10. Ferrari need someone who is a good driver for securing 2nd or 3rd as you say but that driver needs to have a good qualifying history with the ability to support a team mate like Barchello. Really Button would suit perfectly and there was talk of Button joining ferrari after his Brawn season.

I think your right about Kubica and Ferrari but i dont think theres any dout thats where his F1 career is heading, he could even step in when Alonso steps out which in a few years time could be a possibility, Alonso has been in F1 since 2001 I cant imagine he'll have a long stint at Ferrari, one more championship and i think he might wrap up.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2109 on: 16 March 2011, 14:40 »
Highly doubt Alonso will quit F1 any time soon, he's only 29! I think he'll repeat what Schumacher did, a massively long stint with Ferrari winning quite a few championships. At the end of the day it is said Alonso has the racing IQ and hindsight that Prost and Schumacher did, and I believe that completely because he's one of the few "old school" style racers out there.

I don't think Button will join Ferrari while Alonso is there, reason why I say it is because Ferrari don't like having two world champions in the same team, for the reasons I've said already.