Author Topic: Fog light tint  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Jason27

• Not said much yet
Fog light tint
« on: 22 August 2021, 14:16 »
Liking the yellow fog light tint on the VW USA BBS Mod car any thoughts is it legal etc... has anyone done this if so did you take the fog lights out how easy to do ?

Cheers Jason

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Fog light tint
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2021, 22:00 »
If it doesn't light up red at the rear or white at front then it's not legal... Its not 1960's France any more.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2021, 06:27 »
Ahh... yellow fogs on the front - takes me back a while. Pity not legal any more.

Online SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2021, 07:38 »
Schedule 6 (section 7) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 states front fog light colour can be white or yellow;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/6/made

As does this article;

https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/tips-advice/led-fog-lights-1915

But the section on lights from the MOT inspection manual on www.gov.uk states they should be white (paragraphs 4.5.1 and 4.5.4);

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-5-1

So the official guidelines provides conflicting information. I’ll not be adding a yellow tint to mine.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jason27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2021, 13:03 »
Thanks SRGTD interesting tbe conflict between law and MOT standards. The police will go by tbe law not by MOT as its worthless soon as you drive away from the test centre.... you are more likely to be fined from having tbem switched on when not needed £50 on the spot. I do like the look they give more than the function.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2021, 13:08 »
The police will go by whatever they want to on the day, if you argue they will send you for a MOT test...

No brand new car has yellow integrated fogs, they will definitely know you've done something...

Personally I like to avoid anything that can cause a close encounter of the police kind.

PS in the USA they have far far far less rules on stuff like this.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jason27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2021, 13:16 »
Yes your right there Fred especially if you get one who doesn't like the French  :grin:....out of curiosity has anyone been stopped for having frog lights on when not needed ? The DRLS seem as bright on tbe mk8 as the fogs ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2021, 14:08 »
I got some cops being sh1tty when i was following them in fog with my front fogs on once... they didn't fine me but did try to chew me up. I pointed out it was actually foggy... idiots

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2021, 16:50 »
I got stopped many years ago for having the front fog lights on when it wasn't foggy. I'd only got the car the day before (it was a MK2 Scirocco GT2, I never liked it but it looked flash so I bought it) and I must've been pressing buttons as I hadn't intended to put them on. The steering wheel obscurred my view of the switch so I didn't notice the red light showing they were on. I received some rather patronising advice and was sent on my way.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2021, 16:53 »
I got stopped many years ago for having the front fog lights on when it wasn't foggy. I'd only got the car the day before (it was a MK2 Scirocco GT2, I never liked it but it looked flash so I bought it) and I must've been pressing buttons as I hadn't intended to put them on. The steering wheel obscurred my view of the switch so I didn't notice the red light showing they were on. I received some rather patronising advice and was sent on my way.

I used to have a Fiesta Si many years ago and got stopped for driving with my front fog lights on (I was one of those cocks that used them when it wasn't foggy!!!) the policeman was very nice complimented my then girlfriends looks and let me off with a slap on the wrist and don't do it again!!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver