Author Topic: Handing a car back  (Read 8594 times)

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
Handing a car back
« on: 17 August 2021, 10:57 »
Has anyone handed their car back to the dealer? I have finally lost patience with them and emailed them yesterday asking them to take the car back and settling my finance. I hsve checked on WBAC and my car is valued at £22500 and Cazoo was £25300 - this doesn't account for any extras I have such as sunroof and IQ headlights.

He replied and said he would look into it but may need to speak to VW (presumably to offset any negative) but would this be VW or VWFS? I'd rather not go down the rejection route but it sounds like this is what he is suggesting?

List of problems with my car are:

Front drivers seat: squeaks/makes a noise when you sit in it - was told they MAY be able to order a new seat base - awaiting a call from service department regarding this.

Infotainment unit: sometimes it will log me out and will not let me log back in without doing a reset of the unit, removing the user profile and car from the WeConnect app and starting over again, last time I was locked out of the vehicle for five days.

Issues with speaker: Service advised speaker was faulty, has been changed but still crackles/pops - went in again yesterday and unable to diagnose. Dealer thinks the OCU update may fix this but not sure - I have been told to monitor.

Doors: a number of doors make a creaking noise when driving - the technician applied lubricant however I am yet to see if this will resolve the issue.

ACC and other related issues: Adaptive Cruise Control slowing cars down etc. My car on numerous occasions has tried to slow me down for no reason despite the road being empty etc. I have had this since day one and as of yet there is no resolution. I am told a software update may be released in Q4 however that obviously remains to be seen.

Issues with SOS call feature: On many occasions my car loses its 'signal' and I lose access to the location and internet as well as access to the sat nav which can sometimes be unavailable for a considerable amount of time, sometimes until I restart the car, the Service tech advised me this may be due to a number of issues but I just need to wait for a software update.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Handing a car back
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2021, 11:07 »
I'll be honest... a lot of those issues sound very minor (annoying though I am sure) and solvable. A case for rejection could be a bit weak.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2021, 11:13 »
Well he seemed open to the idea and I also said I didn't want to go down the rejection route, more for them to buy it back off me - I think that if there was only 2 or so issues then I wouldn't be posting now, the fact there are so many certainly gives me reason to at least explore the idea. To carry out a rejection you have to give them an opportunity to fix the issues - they have had multiple opportunities and the problems still persist.

On a side note the guy from VWFS said I could reject based on ACC only - so although I do appreciate what you are saying, the noise coming from the dealer and VWFS is that I am within my rights to reject. although I'd rather them just take it back and put me in another car.

On another side note, my last car (A3) was taken back by the dealer who cleared my finance because the sat nav didn't work (they wiped it whilst trying to clear a fault and couldn't get back on) - so seems that anything is possible.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2021, 11:19 »
With the amount of issues you have, some of which fairly serious. I'd say you could reject the car as not being of satisfactory quality for a new car. A new car should be fully working with no issues.

If you're not happy, you're not happy no matter how arbitrary others may see the issues, and if you wanted these issues you'd have bought an older car outright.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2021, 11:22 »
With the amount of issues you have, some of which fairly serious. I'd say you could reject the car as not being of satisfactory quality for a new car. A new car should be fully working with no issues.

If you're not happy, you're not happy no matter how arbitrary others may see the issues, and if you wanted these issues you'd have bought an older car outright.

I agree, although I appreciate each one of the issues on their own (such a speaker pop) may seem like a little issue, when you add that to the Sat Nav not working, the car applying the breaks by itself, the seat squeaking etc they all add up, and when I am paying north of £30k for it I expect better.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2021, 12:07 »
I think the adaptive cruise issue is definitely a bad one, could argue its actually dangerous.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2021, 12:14 »
As is being locked out of the car for 5 days
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2021, 12:15 »
If the seat squeaked in a Rolls Royce someone would be taken out the back and shot.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2021, 12:27 »
As is being locked out of the car for 5 days

Sorry, I didn't mean literally locked out of the car, more out of the Infotainment unit  :whistle:

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2021, 12:30 »
Just had a call from the dealer - he has submitted info to VWUK to see if they would support him financially in me returning the car. VWUK may or may not accept this - if they do then they would approach VWFS to ask for additional help - maybe 50/50 to cover the negative. Here is the problem, VWFS have already offered me 20% discount per month on my PCP - so they will likely say no.

Also, the dealer have no cars in stock to put me into and none due to arrive in the foreseeable.