Author Topic: GTD MK8 - Have I made the wrong choice?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
GTD MK8 - Have I made the wrong choice?
« on: 03 August 2021, 16:58 »
Currently an owner of a 69 plate A220d AMG Line.

Previous car was a Leon 184 TDI DSG.

When I made the switch to the A220d I was blown away by how much quicker the A220d felt..I think the 8G DCT Gearbox is an absolute gem.

As my A220d lease was nearing its end I wanted to go back to VAG and wanted to stay in a diesel so chose the GTD MK8.

I did not test drive one as there literally none available to test drive.

However, having watched the Carwow review today between the GTD/GTI/CLUBSPORT the GTD got destroyed.

I know the comparison isn't the same and its all relative etc...But, I was expecting it to perform better.

I was disappointed to say the least and now regret that I may have made the wrong decision ordering the GTD.

Any thoughts, especially from owners of similarly previous cars?

Thanks.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTD MK8 - Have I made the wrong choice?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2021, 17:14 »
I'd not say it was "totally destroyed" but a 200bhp 400nm vs a 245bhp 400nm vs a 300bhp 400nm.... guess how that ends?

I've had two Mk7 GTD's (see my sig) and loved both of them. Best cars I've ever had in 35 years!

The only reason why I don't have a Mk8 GTD is simply the diesel hate... for me it would still be a perfect choice - excellent fuel economy and still faster than most things on the road! However the hate made me decide to have a go at killing polar bears instead  :laugh:

I think with you coming from another oil burner you won't see it as anything other than really good...

have you seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqJtsNOBr4
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2021, 20:14 »
The GTD is a nicely quick car that feels very muscular, and there's always a remap.

But it wasn't going to hang with a car with 50 more horse power, that can use its lower gear ratios for another 2500rpm. A petrol using the top of second vs a diesel using third, the torque difference at the wheels is pretty significant.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2021, 08:09 »
Ask yourself how often will you be driving flat out on a runway.

If the answer is not very often, then the GTD has lots of other virtues that make it a pretty solid choice.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2021, 11:49 »
From a Clubsport owner here, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed after watching that vid.

The petrol cars rev more sweetly, rev much higher and are lower geared so once they’re well above the speed limit there will be a sizeable gap between them. If he’d thrown an R into the mix that would have been even more decisive.
But as Guzzle said, it’s a runway.

In normal driving there wouldn’t be anything like that sort of gap between them. Plus you could drive the GTD harder (and still use less fuel) so maybe arguably have more fun in it.
I have a 112bhp 1.6 Diesel as well as a GTI Clubsport and I’ll tell you hand on heart that unless I’m absolutely gunning the GTI the Diesel is the quicker car on my commute for a variety of reasons.

Will the GTD be any better than the Merc though? That I’m not so sure about.
The Merc looks better to my eyes both inside and out, probably doesn’t have buggy infotainment and other electronics and possibly quicker(?)
I’ve no idea what the ride, handling and brakes are like on the A Class though.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2021, 13:15 »
Thanks guys

Some great advice and insight so far.

Things I hate about the A220d. It's only the AMG Line pack and although it does have the sporty looks and bumpers etc, it doesn't have the Multibeam headlights, Ambient Lights, Keyless entry and other fancy bits that the GTD has as standard.

Plus the A class is common as muck these days.

Things I like about the A Class. The gearbox. If any of you have watched the A35/A45s launch control clips on Youtube, that's exactly how ferocious the gearbox on the A220d is.

It's phenomenal, the gear changes make the car feel so much faster.

I have actually beaten a GTI from rolling start up to about 70mph.

I just hope the GTD doesn't dissapoint.

I have ordered it in Dolphin Grey with 19's Adelaides which looks amazing on images online.

Much much better looking than the A Class.

However, the interior...Well, that's another subject.

The Merc is in a different class...Things like the S Class steering wheel and the premium feel inside the cabin.

You can see my dilemma, hopefully.

Thanks

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2021, 13:29 »
Did you consider another A Class? Does the Premium Plus pack not bring it closer to the GTD spec? I know some of the Merc driver aids are extra to the PP.

I'm still debating between hot/warm hatches. One thing that puts me off the Merc is no option for a spacesaver.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2021, 14:02 »
The mk8 Golf steering wheel might not be as glitzy as the Merc item but it’s actually really nice to hold.

The rest of the interior is ok. Far from premium these days but quite nice in its own right.

Can you still get a decent power TDI in an A3?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2021, 14:47 »
Can you still get a decent power TDI in an A3?

Audi A3 40 TDI.... same as a Mk8 GTD engine. But almost certainly with Audi tax added and probably that terrible suspension setup Audi love to build.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2021, 15:25 »
The Leon must be worth a look too.
Unless premium badge is mandatory.
Certainly no less premium inside than a VW these days.

Anyway, the GTD is still a cracking car for what it’s designed for.
The only negatives are those which apply to all Golfs and ID’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner