Author Topic: GTI / ClubSport Niggles  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
GTI / ClubSport Niggles
« on: 20 June 2021, 00:14 »
Having had my ClubSport for over three months now, I have begun to notice a few little niggles that are outside of the 'usual' things that have been commonly spoken about - Clima Synch, Primary User etc.  I am hoping that this will allow me to see if others are having the same, less bothersome issues and also get an idea if any or all warrant a call to the dealer.  This is the first time I have owned a new, or even close to new, car, so I am not entirely sure on what warrants a valid complaint, to be honest.

Squeaky brakes - I feel that I bedded my brakes in sensibly but my ClubSport does suffer from squeaky brakes at very low speeds - ie, when in slow moving stop/start traffic or when reversing into a parking space.  Is this just a normal consequence of having 'big brakes'?

Infotainment / AID coil whine - The only time I notice this is when I turn the car off and open the door, turning the music off....but it is really quite noticeable.  If this turns out to be a relatively isolated issue, then maybe I have a case for a hardware upgrade with the possibility of being able to have wireless Android Auto...?

Door card rattles - One in the passenger side door that rattles when driving at low speed on torn-up roads and another that is triggered by non-excessive bass at regular listening volumes.  If I put a little pressure on the door pocket, it stops.  I know this is a tricky one, as I suppose a dealer would just say that I have my music too loud or my bass is too high but it really isn't and I wouldn't expect this from a brand-new car.  Do I have a case?

I will add more if I remember or notice any and please feel free to add any of your own.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: GTI / ClubSport Niggles
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2021, 01:26 »
You may find a few good firm applications of the brakes might stop the squeaking.

I’ve not noticed any unusual noises from the infotainment unit or AID in my Polo GTI+. I think that modern infotainment units do have a cooling fan as they can generate quite a lot of heat - could it be the infotainment unit fan that you’ve heard that might continue running for a while after the car’s ignition is switched off?

The problem with getting the dealer to investigate and fix creaks and rattles is they may create additional creaks and rattles! :shocked:. I’d also be reluctant to have some workshop technician ripping out pieces of interior trim from my car with the risk they might damage them in the process and then deny causing the damage.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2021, 12:28 »
The rear passenger door cards on both my 7.5s rattle and it annoys the hell out of my because it never seems to happen when the car goes to the dealer. They’ve “fixed” it several times only for it not to be fixed at all

Have you tried lubricating the door seals? That is frequently the cause. Also it could be the back seat rests rattling in the catches. Some anti rattle tape stuck on the latches may sort it out. Perhaps this is the reason why the dealer is unable to fix rattles in the door cards, because that is not where the rattle originates?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2021, 20:55 »
Alternatively, fit a joie car seat.  It rattles so much when the kid isn't in it, you'd not notice the car's quirks.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2021, 07:07 »
Car seats are the Bain of my life for the last 7 years I’ve thought there was something squeaking in the interior and it’s been the car seats every time. Just switched to booster seats so now have silence back. The wife’s car has the dog cage in it though and that rattles like mad!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2021, 08:42 »
You know I must be the only person in the world with a GTI that doesn't rattle or squeak (my 2018 MK7.5). I've even had the door cards off myself to fit the door opening lights and the whole centre console stripped down for a DIY a few years ago, and it's still as silent today as it always was. It does make me wonder if the DCC makes a difference (mine as it only get's used for town work is almost exclusively set to comfort mode.)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2021, 09:16 »
My Mk8 has an annoying creaking sound from the B pillar. Its really annoying.

Hopefully on Wednesday it and a shed load of other gremlins will be fixed.....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2021, 12:53 »
You may find a few good firm applications of the brakes might stop the squeaking.

I’ve not noticed any unusual noises from the infotainment unit or AID in my Polo GTI+. I think that modern infotainment units do have a cooling fan as they can generate quite a lot of heat - could it be the infotainment unit fan that you’ve heard that might continue running for a while after the car’s ignition is switched off?

The problem with getting the dealer to investigate and fix creaks and rattles is they may create additional creaks and rattles! :shocked:. I’d also be reluctant to have some workshop technician ripping out pieces of interior trim from my car with the risk they might damage them in the process and then deny causing the damage.
I'm not sure on the brakes solution.  My brakes get fairly regular work-outs, as I enjoy spirited driving a lot of the time and I have a decent section of national speed limit road on my last couple of miles into work.  The squeaks only occur at bare minimum speeds - 1-3mph tops and maybe 3-4mph in reverse.

The infotainment fan theory is a good shout, though it definitely sounds more like coil whine than the whir of even a small fan.  I am interested to hear if anyone else hears it.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2021, 13:22 »
My brakes sometimes squeak at low speeds. Not always though.

My drivers door has a bit of an annoying noise (assuming seal) by my right ear when it’s sunny. So not too often!

That’s one upside of the simple interior design, there’s less to rattle.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2021, 20:44 »
The infotainment fan theory is a good shout, though it definitely sounds more like coil whine than the whir of even a small fan.  I am interested to hear if anyone else hears it.

Can't hear sh1t.... I've either got rather loud music on  :evil: or I'm listening to the creaking groaning sound from the B pillar.

The former drowns out the latter  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC