Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 114969 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #440 on: 20 June 2021, 13:48 »
Spacers are fine for road use, just don’t buy really cheap ones.
I have some 12mm (front) and 16mm (rear) ones I briefly ran on my mk7 R before I moved to a set of 19’s with a more aggressive offset.
I bought that set direct from Sparco in Italy but have had H&R and Eibach on previous cars.
Bringing the wheels flush makes such a positive improvement visually.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #441 on: 20 June 2021, 17:01 »
The standards look ok the more and more I see them but the demo car did look like they could do with some spacing.

I’d be keen to hear if anyone is spacing them out, also the standard R 18” R wheels look much better. Shame they weren’t an option.

I chose 18s purely for potholes and tyre prices also the 19s would need DCC which all adds up. On Friday night I hit a hole in my 7.5 match and dented the wheel and punctured the sidewall. That’s Northumberland for you, were have roads at home in Africa  :grin: I said to the wife that’s the reason I don’t want 19s and I need to remember that and not change the order.
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #442 on: 21 June 2021, 01:31 »
I didn’t mind the standard wheels on the 7/7.5 but after hearing them mentioned as the swastika wheels on the mk8 I can’t un see it. Think that was someone on here who made that reference.. thanks for making me spend more money :grin:

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #443 on: 21 June 2021, 04:05 »
The more I see of the standard wheels, the more I think they look fine.

Agree 100%.  Don't understand the hate.  They look fine to me.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #444 on: 21 June 2021, 08:43 »
Took my CS out and drove my first 250 miles this weekend.  Managed to set my seat up exactly how I like it in the final hour after a bit of lower back strain earlier.   All good now.  At one point my sat nav destination disappeared as I was driving along because the car randomly logged me out of my driver profile, so I had to reinput by voice as I drove along.  Took a bit of time to get used to adaptive cruise control, as the car seemed to slow down when it was due to overtake but that only happened a few times.  My 7.5 GTE used to do that to prevent 'under' taking and it was a feature I liked.  Hopefully just another temporary glitch.
Overall very pleased with the performance and looking forward to the next 3 years of fun on the roads.  I even got a few unexpected exhaust pops and bangs at lower speeds.   

Apparently my 1788 software can be updated, but I know Volkswizard advised not to do this directly from the car (although it's very tempting to just hit the update button!).  Has anyone done this or would you advise to book it in at VW instead?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #445 on: 21 June 2021, 08:47 »
The more I see of the standard wheels, the more I think they look fine.

Agree 100%.  Don't understand the hate.  They look fine to me.

If I'm spending around £40k on a car I don't want it to look fine, it has to look amazing, I want to be excited by it! Fine is little better than crap in my eyes.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #446 on: 21 June 2021, 08:59 »
Sorry, but the Richmonds still look dreadful to me. Unforgivable on the Clubsport in particular imo.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #447 on: 22 June 2021, 21:59 »

I’ve just realised my neighbour has tried to copy the colour of my GTI!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #448 on: 04 July 2021, 14:28 »
What did I do to my mk8 today?

Today I braved the rain and washed the car.
First time I’ve had chance for weeks and weeks so desperation got the better of me. God it was filthy. And God I got wet.

Much as I enjoy cleaning the car, I really can’t be bothered with hundreds of potions and spending ages faffing about these days so thoughts towards a ceramic coating have resurfaced.
Normally I buy a car with real money, spend a bit on mods, pamper the thing and then dispose of it for another project after 18 - 24 months. That kind of made the ‘investment’ in a ceramic finish not worthwhile and not economically viable.
 This time round I didn’t have real money so it’s a PCP, and as I’m quite fond of the car I reckon I’ll likely see out the 4 years so maybe the cost of a ceramic coating might just about justifiable. Trouble is it’s very expensive and I need a new phone as my battery is goosed and some glasses as my eyesight is even more goosed so it’s probably still unlikely to happen.

On Wednesday or Thursday I saw my first GTI Clubsport (that wasn't my own) in the flesh.
Just caught sight of it whilst a huge black Land Rover or Range Rover SUV thing’s owner was deciding whether to stay in its lane or just drive over the top of all the peasants it was forced to share the road with.
A silver one sat queuing in traffic in Bridge Road, Exeter. If that was you “hi” 

On somewhere around Wednesday (sorry, been a mad busy few weeks so can’t remember what day was which!) something happened with a Maserati. Nothing to report here other than that in the right hands and in the right place (ie. a better driver than me and definitely not on public roads) the Clubsport is surprisingly capable for an off the shelf Golf. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #449 on: 04 July 2021, 14:59 »
What did I do to my mk8 today?

Today I braved the rain and washed the car.
First time I’ve had chance for weeks and weeks so desperation got the better of me. God it was filthy. And God I got wet.

Much as I enjoy cleaning the car, I really can’t be bothered with hundreds of potions and spending ages faffing about these days so thoughts towards a ceramic coating have resurfaced.
Normally I buy a car with real money, spend a bit on mods, pamper the thing and then dispose of it for another project after 18 - 24 months. That kind of made the ‘investment’ in a ceramic finish not worthwhile and not economically viable.
 This time round I didn’t have real money so it’s a PCP, and as I’m quite fond of the car I reckon I’ll likely see out the 4 years so maybe the cost of a ceramic coating might just about justifiable. Trouble is it’s very expensive and I need a new phone as my battery is goosed and some glasses as my eyesight is even more goosed so it’s probably still unlikely to happen.

Do you have a garage?

I ask if you have a garage because you could easily buy and apply the 6-12 month ceramic coating yourself for under £50 if you do, not saying detailers will scam you it's just time consuming work.

Also most ceramic coatings last up to 2 years, only a few offer up to 5 years protection. My current one I apply to peoples cars is a 7 year coating, but I warrantee it for 3 years.

Give Gyeon WetCoat a try before you go ahead with anything.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/