Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115880 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #350 on: 25 April 2021, 09:05 »
Lovely Dolphin Clubsport joet, it looks fantastic in the sunshine there with all the highlights contrasting perfectly.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #351 on: 25 April 2021, 10:55 »

Welcome to the Club!  It does look nice in Dolphin and I was considering it but felt that the white accentuated the red details better.

As for the boot - you need to hold the button for 1+ second.
[/quote]

Thank you! Holding the button for longer than 1 second has done the trick,

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #352 on: 25 April 2021, 10:58 »
Lovely Dolphin Clubsport joet, it looks fantastic in the sunshine there with all the highlights contrasting perfectly.  :cool:

Thank you! It's an interesting colour - it can go from a light blue/grey to much darker grey depending on the conditions.

Really enjoying driving it, although I'm taking it easy for the first 1,000 miles

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #353 on: 25 April 2021, 11:20 »
Cracking looking CS. Dolphin is ace.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #354 on: 26 April 2021, 09:39 »
Interesting moment over the weekend.... I turned off the HUD for the last couple of days. Two things with that:

1) It seems it's one of the few things you can turn off and it bloody stays off
2) Actually the car is more enjoyable without it. I don't feel like I am staring at it all of the time, I could just enjoy a wide panoramic view of where I was going and concentrate on giving it a bit of wellie.

When I spec'ed it (well, deliberately chose a car with it on) I imagined myself as Squadron Leader Fred "Squiffy" Groves, bolding flying into action against enemy bombers trying to bomb my chip shop, shooting them down with ease in my sleek grey EuroFighter before returning for tea and medals. Actually, its a massive distraction that gives me a headache.

I might leave it off now until I need nav directions next or head into speed camera infested waters again.

I know why ObiWan told Luke to turn off his targetting computer now...

I've got something else to ask about, but will start a seperate thread for that though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #355 on: 26 April 2021, 10:27 »
Funny you should say that Fred. Ive kept quiet as I assumed I was in a minority of 1, but when I test drove a BMW last year that had the HUD system (and to be honest a better implementation that VW's), I found it quite distracting as it always caught my eye and found that I was forever looking at it (which you could argue is the whole point of it), and I was therefore not paying full attention to the road. When I switched it off and went back to the regular instruments I found the test drive much more enjoyable and (dare I say) safer ?

It really surprised me as I'm a massive tech fan and generally applaud most of the tech going into latest cars, but that experience was the one that made me decided to not spec it on my new Tiguan.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #356 on: 26 April 2021, 10:49 »
I know why ObiWan told Luke to turn off his targetting computer now...

I met Mark Hamill once, he was eating in a Chinese restaurant on the next table. He was really struggling to use his chopsticks so I told him to 'use the forks Luke'.... :wink: :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #357 on: 26 April 2021, 11:40 »
Sooty,

It's taken me a while to reach that conclusion and be brave enough to turn off 600 quid of option.... it was exciting for a while, I also thought it was impressive on the BMW's I drove too.... but turning it off is such a relief!

Its not like the display mode for the AID I'm using is hard to read really. I could see the HUD being useful sometimes though...but very much a turn it on when you need it. I've added it to my pull down shortcut menu options (which I've also only just setup)

I also added ESC to the menu.... I tried ESC Sport on Saturday - you can definitely feel it moving around with that on!

I met Mark Hamill once, he was eating in a Chinese restaurant on the next table. He was really struggling to use his chopsticks so I told him to 'use the forks Luke'.... :wink: :whistle:

Get your coat, NOW!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #358 on: 26 April 2021, 15:23 »
Went to the garage to fill up some fuel, though I'd check my tyre pressures while there  and nothing on my inside door giving pressures, checked pressure what all tyres were at and 39psi, this the right amount on standard ??, I learn more about this car every week 😂

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #359 on: 26 April 2021, 16:31 »
Today I took my freshly washed Clubby to a funeral.
The funeral itself was a bit of a strange experience with Covid restrictions but obviously that’s not why I’m reporting in.
DSG and hill hold is why I’m here.
I’m quick enough to moan about it some days, so today I shall sing its praises for being an excellent pairing when in a slow moving cortège going up a steep hillside at walking pace.
Oh, I also had the first cheese and pickle sandwich I’ve eaten in years and years. I’d forgotten how nice they are.

Roger that Squiffy old bean, the head up display was a funny old thing when I was piloting the old Messerschmitt 135i. I’d expected it to be like piloting a space ship but actually it wasn’t anything like that. In fact my only lasting memory of it was the speed limit display winking at me more often than the bar maid in the officer’s mess. 
First thing I thought when taxiing the Fokker Clubsport dive bomber for the first time was thank blazes I didn’t spend six hundred shillings on the pop up cross hairs.

Oh, and here’s another thing. I used to moan about the dashboard reflections in the windscreen of the 135i, well the mk8 suffers that just as badly too. I’m sure my mk7’s weren’t afflicted with that.

My aircon has stayed in Sync mode for four days on the trot with no prompting. Is that a record?

Watts, you induced more of a groan than my handbrake did on a 45 degree incline.
:grin: )

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner