Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115177 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #340 on: 24 April 2021, 11:39 »
That looks awesome joet!

Dolphin looks good in the sunshine definitely. Love the clubby spoiler too.

:cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #341 on: 24 April 2021, 11:42 »
Today I've done my first thousand miles.

Thinking about washing it today as its covered in bird poo... Whether I do or not remains to be seen lol.

I've got some technical documentation on the kessy system and it's counter measures I'll try and write up next week. What I can tell you is that it definitely doesn't have a motion sensor in the key and also that some of the kessy problems people have are actually faults in the security mechanism.. Interesting.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #342 on: 24 April 2021, 11:48 »
That looks awesome joet!

Thank you, Fred. Much appreciated.

I've been reading all you very informative posts on here and they're proving extremely useful now that I have the car.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #343 on: 24 April 2021, 13:05 »
Well I’ve just experienced the low speed crash prevention system! I was parking the car, I could have sworn I hit the car next to me but it turns out I hadn’t, it was the car stopping me from crashing into the other car. Very clever but bloody hardcore braking.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #344 on: 24 April 2021, 13:36 »
Well I’ve just experienced the low speed crash prevention system! I was parking the car, I could have sworn I hit the car next to me but it turns out I hadn’t, it was the car stopping me from crashing into the other car. Very clever but bloody hardcore braking.

Yes, it's quite unsettling the first time it happens.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #345 on: 24 April 2021, 13:43 »
Lol wait until you meet Mr front assist...

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #346 on: 24 April 2021, 15:21 »
Interested in this, I have a Mk8 Golf and although my 'open on approach' setting is switched off, the car decides to randomly open still! Could this be related.....it seems to have started happening after I've set up WeConnect and become Primary User.... :sad:

Today I've done my first thousand miles.

Thinking about washing it today as its covered in bird poo... Whether I do or not remains to be seen lol.

I've got some technical documentation on the kessy system and it's counter measures I'll try and write up next week. What I can tell you is that it definitely doesn't have a motion sensor in the key and also that some of the kessy problems people have are actually faults in the security mechanism.. Interesting.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #347 on: 24 April 2021, 23:40 »
That looks awesome joet!

Thank you, Fred. Much appreciated.

I've been reading all you very informative posts on here and they're proving extremely useful now that I have the car.

Looks great Joet, first CS in dolphin on 19s I’ve seen, can’t wait for mine. Be interesting to hear more about your experience with DCC after you have a few miles under your belt
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #348 on: 25 April 2021, 02:22 »
Picked up my Clubsport yesterday. Dolphin, DCC, Adelaides, Reversing Camera and Winter Pack

I think it looks amazing in the flesh - photos do not do it justice.

So far very very impressed. Driving it back from the dealer yesterday on the motorway, in Comfort mode it was so refined that I forgot I was in a GTI. Then changed it to sport and it was a different beast. Coming from a basic 2013 Mark 7 it does feel like a  big step up.

Interface is not as bad as I feared. Getting used to it slowly. The dealer had set me up as the primary user before collection and I've had no software issues so far. Fingers crossed.

I've disabled KESSY already as per advice here. The one thing that doesn't seem to work is unlocking just the boot when the car is locked with the boot unlock button on the fob. Anyone else had that? Thanks.

A couple of photos attached.

Welcome to the Club!  It does look nice in Dolphin and I was considering it but felt that the white accentuated the red details better.

As for the boot - you need to hold the button for 1+ second.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #349 on: 25 April 2021, 07:25 »

I've disabled KESSY already as per advice here. The one thing that doesn't seem to work is unlocking just the boot when the car is locked with the boot unlock button on the fob. Anyone else had that? Thanks.

Welcome to the Club!  It does look nice in Dolphin and I was considering it but felt that the white accentuated the red details better.

As for the boot - you need to hold the button for 1+ second.

With the mk7 Golf (and earlier Golfs?) it used to be that if you unlocked the boot with the boot button on the key fob and inadvertently put the fob down in the boot and then shut the tailgate, after a few minutes the boot would lock itself, leaving the owner outside the car and the keys locked inside the car.

The mk7 did flash the indicators as a warning when the tailgate was closed before auto-locking the boot, but if the owner;
  • hadn’t read the manual (many don’t) and didn’t understand the significance of the flashing indicators or
  • didn’t notice the flashing indicators
they could be left stranded and locked out of their car. Inconvenient to say the least if it happens if you’re away from your home and don’t have access to the spare key fob.

I don’t know if this is still they way boot locking / unlocking works (the discussion thread over on VWROC.com at the link below suggests it was changed on the mk7.5 Golf). However, for this reason, I rarely - if ever - use the ‘boot unlock’ button, and have conditioned myself to put the key fob back in my pocket before shutting the tailgate.

I keep meaning to test on my Polo GTI+ when I’m at home so I have access to the spare key fob and don’t get locked out! :grin:

Link to discussion threads where this has happened;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270688.0

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/20384-locked-out-damn-you-vw/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl