Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115622 times)

Online clubsport

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #330 on: 20 April 2021, 12:52 »
Fred, the M3 would have had an SMG 2, gearbox which is effectively the same manual gearbox as the manual, with an electric/hydraulic clutch instead of a foot pedal. the Smg2 was a quicker changing version of the regular Smg box.
Note the need for upgraded software for the sporty driver?

I am sure there is a manual out there for you to digest, if you are interested? :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #331 on: 20 April 2021, 13:52 »
LOL I've got enough reading material for a loooooong old time at the moment.

Interesting on the M3 gearbox, that was a lot of fun to drive with that box.

I remember them telling me I could use the paddles on that, but I decided in the time I had with the car it wasn't worth messing when the lever seemed to be totally natural for me.

This whole thing is quite weird really, because a sequential box is no problem for me - motorbikes have a sequential box.

The weird thing with DSG is that its not really sequential, the software is emulating that and trying to guess where you are going next.... and it guesses using the only sensor it has to monitor what a driver is going to do next, the throttle position.

That article that was linked is really very interesting and I've never seen it explained like that. Not sure if I have the prescence of mind to game it like they suggest though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #332 on: 21 April 2021, 10:44 »
Exonian, as you aware of the limitations of Dsg, can you not just switch it into manual mode when you want a bit more involvement?
I have to say the factors you mention have had me screaming at Dsg boxed cars on previous test drives.

The Pdk-S in Gt Pork works well over the regular Pdk, so there may be something to the software upgrade?

It’s when I don’t want involvement that DSG disappoints.
The one thing an auto should be good at it’s not.

Obviously it can drag race in S.
in fact it’s quite good in S for all sorts of things as it changes up around 4K rpm when pressure is eased on the throttle pedal (or before when it feels like it or afterwards if it is having one of its frequent erratic moments).

The paddles are (probably) great if you like doing the PlayStation thing but it feels totally artificial to me.

I don’t miss a manual gearbox. I have a manual car too and can’t be bothered to use it anymore.
I just want a comfort mode that doesn’t constantly bog down off boost or feel like I’m getting zero response from it when I need some gentle to moderate acceleration.

I genuinely thought a DSG would feel far more rapid and responsive than a manual, but it’s the opposite unless full on Banzai acceleration from more or less standstill is used.
My previous remapped manual mk5 and mk6 GTI’s were far more responsive and quicker point to point cars.

Fabulous car, meh gearbox, confusing UI.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #333 on: 21 April 2021, 11:20 »
I agree with you totally Exonian, as usual I might add!

My other annoyance with it in S mode is the down shifts, you brake for a slow turn or an approach to a roundabout and the downshift suddenly seems to fire the car forward bit just at the wrong moment, its like it blips the throttle, either upsetting your cornering mid corner or shooting your forward onto the roundabout.

I've not found a way to counter that other than being mentally prepared for it.

I'm sure its just my old manual driving ways that don't match with the damned computer mind of it, but its super annoying.

I guess like most computerised things, 80% of the time its ok and does the job better than you or I could do, its the 20% that grates. Probably some genius at VW thinks 80% is good enough.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #334 on: 21 April 2021, 16:20 »
I make allowances for the spontaneous things the gearbox does in S mode, I kind of live around it!
The random downshift jerks when approaching roundabouts and junctions are a bit marmite and you need your wits about you but I’m usually okay with those as I know the car is ready to move quickly if needed rather than a Liberal Party committee meeting going on in Comfort.

I think you’re right about the 80% sign off, the VW management committee must’ve been in Comfort Mode on a Friday afternoon!

Well, today I decided that after doing 300 plus miles in the last couple days I’d have another go at becoming the primary user.
That didn’t go well.
Another three and a half years as ‘guest’ it is then  :grin:  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #335 on: 21 April 2021, 16:59 »
Maybe if you could get some sort of feedback about what it thought it was going to do next, you could adapt for it.

In the same way as the old think blue graphic on the Mk7.5 AID - in fact, with that you might be able to train yourself to always give the right throttle input.

I'd probably just fire myself through a hedge though if I was trying to keep the throttle on to avoid a wrong gear selection  :laugh:

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #336 on: 21 April 2021, 18:43 »
I'm only ever used to driving 3 VWs, An R I've had a go off and my 20 plate Passat GTE, once that button was pressed in GTE mode it took off, I think same horsepower of the new GTI with petrol and electric combined, but I do find the DSG in the golf better than it was in the Passat, I don't mind the new DSG but I think at times even in comfort it labours too much. As for the acceleration in the Passat, bouncing it off that limiter felt great but I don't know if it was being a bigger car i didn't have full trust in it at cornering. I have to admit the last few days I've been using the paddles and as mad as it sounds I was all over with them to start with but I feel I'm getting better driving with them now with gear changing but more satisfying using them in sports mode. The whole experience what I love about the car is the handling, I just feel so safe going into and hammering out of corners on a fun day and something I've never really had the pleasure experiencing with in cars. Even risked it with ESC off at the weekend but tend to put it in ESC sport mode and love it

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #337 on: 24 April 2021, 11:06 »
Picked up my Clubsport yesterday. Dolphin, DCC, Adelaides, Reversing Camera and Winter Pack

I think it looks amazing in the flesh - photos do not do it justice.

So far very very impressed. Driving it back from the dealer yesterday on the motorway, in Comfort mode it was so refined that I forgot I was in a GTI. Then changed it to sport and it was a different beast. Coming from a basic 2013 Mark 7 it does feel like a  big step up.

Interface is not as bad as I feared. Getting used to it slowly. The dealer had set me up as the primary user before collection and I've had no software issues so far. Fingers crossed.

I've disabled KESSY already as per advice here. The one thing that doesn't seem to work is unlocking just the boot when the car is locked with the boot unlock button on the fob. Anyone else had that? Thanks.

A couple of photos attached.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #338 on: 24 April 2021, 11:19 »
Picked up my Clubsport yesterday. Dolphin, DCC, Adelaides, Reversing Camera and Winter Pack

I think it looks amazing in the flesh - photos do not do it justice.

So far very very impressed. Driving it back from the dealer yesterday on the motorway, in Comfort mode it was so refined that I forgot I was in a GTI. Then changed it to sport and it was a different beast. Coming from a basic 2013 Mark 7 it does feel like a  big step up.

Interface is not as bad as I feared. Getting used to it slowly. The dealer had set me up as the primary user before collection and I've had no software issues so far. Fingers crossed.

I've disabled KESSY already as per advice here. The one thing that doesn't seem to work is unlocking just the boot when the car is locked with the boot unlock button on the fob. Anyone else had that? Thanks.

A couple of photos attached.

Looks very nice mate same colour as my standard GTI but just shows with different wheels on how better the car looks. Honestly wish I waited for a clubby for that extra power even though when I'm on a B road in mind it's where the fun begins. I tend to find a few things that I have pointed out on here and that the inform system is not that laggy on a warm day compared to when I got mine in Feb and it was bad most till the car warmed. Also noticed and was discussing with Fred that your pops from exhaust is controlled by engine sound if you go into individual. Usually fake cabin noise that but if it's set to sport that's when you wi hear the bangs. As for the boot mine is exactly the same. I've only had a front assist error on the car since I've got it once or twice so fingers crossed I'm problem free. Feels a different car coming off a motorway then onto a twist road. I find it hard not to drive In sport most of the time 😂. Hope you enjoy it. Looks amazing 👌

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #339 on: 24 April 2021, 11:31 »
Thank you!
I've been keeping up with the posts on here whilst I was waiting for it so have read about the exhaust pops etc.
Looking forward to getting it on some decent roads!