Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115184 times)

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #320 on: 19 April 2021, 19:41 »
I’m not sure either but yesterday I had an announcement on the screen say that “ active road signs” has been downloaded and is now active. 🤷‍♂️

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #321 on: 19 April 2021, 20:01 »
With any automated system before you can trust it you need to understand its actions and limitations. Only then is it useful.

Right now I'm still untrusting of travel assist, but eventually I'll have worked it out and be happy to use it. Needs more experimentation time when I'm not needing to be somewhere in a hurry.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #322 on: 19 April 2021, 20:05 »
I’m just hoping that the next download announcement is that the “Swedish masseuse feature” is now available!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #323 on: 19 April 2021, 23:28 »
Today I have introduced lots of flies to my bonnet, screen and mirror caps, some pasty crumbs to the upholstery and no doubt a few more stone chips to the front end.

I’ve also completely decided DSG is definitely not what it should be.
I’d been warming to it again over the last week just pootling about, but today after 150 miles of dual carriageway and narrow lanes it really isn’t good. It could be good but it ain’t.

This car has 400Nm of torque. That’s quite a lot. A gentle squeeze of the pedal at 65 mph should see it surge to 69.9 almost instantly. But no. It has a think, slips the clutch and jumps down a gear. Had it left the thing in gear at 2000 rpm it would have been at the speed limit in microseconds. If I would had tickled the nugget into S mode instead it probably would have dropped three gears and gone ballistic.

Then, once again, when presented with granite hedged rural lanes it dithers about on every uphill bend. f
Firstly caught totally off boost time and again, and then it has an internal discussion meeting including several calls to head office before selecting a random gear which either continues to be off boost or clutch slips into too low a gear before immediately rushing back up the box again once past 30mph. During which time the dawdling old lady in her micro-car nearly rear ends my 300PS sports hatch whilst it buggers about with clutches and cogs making no meaningful forward progress.
Rubbish. Utterly rubbish.
To think that I used to be a bit envious of DSG drivers with their über efficient microprocessor controlled cog-boxes.

The rest of the car is (mostly) utterly brilliant.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #324 on: 20 April 2021, 08:50 »
Its funny, some days I am not so sensitive to the annoyances of DSG, others I just can't wait to get out of the car, usually followed by some furious calculator stabbing to check just how much it would cost me to swap to a manual GTI.

I did go as far as talking to the Dutch lot about a DSG tune and they found me a local(ish) authorised dealer in the UK who mailed me with their details.

I'm still thinking hard about that.... trying to work out if what they will deliver will actually resolve my frustrations with it.... but I guess I need to produce a detailed requirements list and show it to them.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #325 on: 20 April 2021, 08:55 »
Exonian, as you aware of the limitations of Dsg, can you not just switch it into manual mode when you want a bit more involvement?
I have to say the factors you mention have had me screaming at Dsg boxed cars on previous test drives.

The Pdk-S in Gt Pork works well over the regular Pdk, so there may be something to the software upgrade?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #326 on: 20 April 2021, 09:03 »
Manual mode in the Mk8 is an interesting thing....

In D mode, its something like 10 seconds of not using the paddles before it will drop back into auto.

In S mode it doesn't revert to auto by itself (and long tug on the right paddle puts it back into auto) BUT even in manual mode it will shift up just before the redline and will shift down automatically.

The DSG tune I believe will actually take out the automatic upshift in manual mode if you desire.

I've not really got on very well with the paddles though I have to say. I'm old, I've driven manual gearboxes forever and it just doesn't feel right to be using the Playstation buttons for changing gear, it just feels alien to me and it really does feel like a video game even more than the car already does.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #327 on: 20 April 2021, 09:15 »
It’s a bit long and it’s old but thought this worth sharing on how to play the dsg game for those coming from manual habits to dsg https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12990-dsg-in-sport-and-why-i-keep-switching-to-manual/
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #328 on: 20 April 2021, 10:58 »
I've not really got on very well with the paddles though I have to say. I'm old, I've driven manual gearboxes forever and it just doesn't feel right to be using the Playstation buttons for changing gear, it just feels alien to me and it really does feel like a video game even more than the car already does.

This sums up my thoughts on DSG manual mode, perhaps with a little less of the 'old' bit though :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #329 on: 20 April 2021, 11:18 »
I think I'd get on better if it had a stick for sequential gear changes.... seem to remember the M3 I drove once on a track had that. Didn't find that strange.

Did the Mk7 have that?