Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115195 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #220 on: 30 March 2021, 08:55 »
The thing I didn't like in the BMW though was that at 70mph on the motorway it seemed to spend a lot of time changing up, changing down, changing up, changing down....and I don't even mean going up steep hills, just what looked like on the flat.

And it seemed to be a 70mph thing, no other speed limit seemed to make it do that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #221 on: 30 March 2021, 09:36 »
I dunno, maybe if I ever get back to sitting in traffic all day I might learn to love it but right now I'm really unhappy with it.

Have you used the paddles much Fred?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #222 on: 30 March 2021, 09:40 »
I dunno, maybe if I ever get back to sitting in traffic all day I might learn to love it but right now I'm really unhappy with it.

Have you used the paddles much Fred?

A little bit, they are fun when you really want to be on it.

By the way, TVS came back and said yes they can tune a Mk8 GTI DSG box.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #223 on: 30 March 2021, 10:51 »
The thing I didn't like in the BMW though was that at 70mph on the motorway it seemed to spend a lot of time changing up, changing down, changing up, changing down....and I don't even mean going up steep hills, just what looked like on the flat.

And it seemed to be a 70mph thing, no other speed limit seemed to make it do that.

Can't say I've noticed that but I wonder if its to do with the 8th gear.  The 8spd ZF box used to do that where 8th was very much a cruising gear and 'any' requirement for more power input would make it change down.  Or it could have been in and out of coasting mode.

For all the hype over the years about DSG I'm not that impressed with it either in my GTD.  I had a manual GTD and now have a DSG - it changed the driving characteristics of the car a lot, and not for the better.  Mostly because it either wants to drag itself around in too low a gear or sit at 3000rpm long after you would want it to change up.  I've gotten used to it, its not terrible, but  knowing what I know now I wouldn't have it again.   
« Last Edit: 30 March 2021, 11:10 by ub7rm »
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #224 on: 30 March 2021, 11:35 »
If VW would offer the clubsport as a manual they could have my money.
I spent decades never understanding why people seem to think DSG is the best thing ever. Ive tried to like it, driven many versions and we even owned a car with it. I just cannot get on with it. Glad to read im now not the only one  :grin: Each to there own and all that but imo all models with a GTI badge should have a manual option.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #225 on: 30 March 2021, 16:30 »
So long as it had an adequate clutch (and decent gear change) the Clubsport would have been fantastic  in manual form.
The R is always going to accelerate MUCH faster under ideal conditions so a more engaging poor relation to that car with a manual box would have been nice. The manual 245 GTI doesn’t quite have the rev band to be missing link.

My DSG showed itself up once again on a detour thanks to roadworks.
A winding steep B road up through a forest which ordinarily would have been huge fun in the right car with no traffic ended up being merely irritating.
Due to the roadworks this road was taking all the non-HGV traffic so it was slow going through the constant zig-zag of bends following the usual SUV’s and dodging the road-hog works vans and Range Rovers coming the other way. It *should* have been a smooth drive in an auto though. But here we go again, every sharp uphill bend presented to the car and the TCU has a zoom committee meeting leaving me with zero power until a decision is made on which gear to shuffle into. The bends came up on the AID to warn me they were there despite hardly ever getting above 35 - 40 mph in the convoy of cars so the Clubby “manager” sure knew they were there.
I’m sorry but these cars are set up for some arbitrary tests under ideal conditions or for Evo magazine reading boy racers with everything in between an often poor compromise.
Yes, there are the paddles but there’s no way they should be necessary most of the time.
An amazing car let down by a piss poor TCU.

Hell even most of my random “bong!”s have stopped now of their own accord, aside from in thick fog at 4:30am today which kind of upset the front camera. So the car sure isn’t a duffer.

I’m no manual die-hard, in fact I’m not even a massive fan of manual gearboxes.
I need to find a workaround though or it’ll be a long four years.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #226 on: 30 March 2021, 16:58 »
I don't think the TCU is networked to the other components actually.

I think the TCU runs only off of the accelerator and brake pedal.

And yes I agree - I have no particular desire for a manual box, the computer should be much better at gears than I.

The crazy thing is that from everything I am reading, TVS seem to be able to sort it out. I guess there is a lot of emmissions control going on here... making things bad to keep the test figures down.

Other people say a pedal box also can resolve the issue.

Maybe I'll try the pedal box first and see what that does - thats cheap to get, easy to fit and reversible without any warranty issues.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #227 on: 30 March 2021, 17:53 »
I have a pedal box fitted and find the dsg still a pain. Hesitancy, clutch slip, judder. The pedalbox just makes the pedal feel more responsive so you haven't got to be heavy footed. It might be worth a try but I don't think you'll find it to be the answer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #228 on: 30 March 2021, 18:42 »
I’ve only had the car for a few hours now and I’ve only driven 50 miles but after giving it some welly in sport mode I did find myself asking the dsg to shift up a gear once I’d hit my desired (albeit) too fast speed. It didn’t for ages, it was the same delay I get when I ask my daughters to clean their rooms! 🤔😂

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #229 on: 30 March 2021, 18:58 »
One thing that did work well was the DCC, I tried it out at both ends of the scale. Huge difference, but annoyingly, the best position so far was somewhere in the middle. Still glad I ticked that box.