Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 111837 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #190 on: 27 March 2021, 15:12 »
That looks great. Black mirror caps too would set it off as said already. Did the roof affect your insurance?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #191 on: 27 March 2021, 15:23 »
That looks great. Black mirror caps too would set it off as said already. Did the roof affect your insurance?

Insurance company has charged me nothing for changing the wheels or the roof. Probably because I said they were done when I took the policy out(they weren’t but I new I’d do them)so I guess they charged me right from the start.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #192 on: 27 March 2021, 16:18 »

Insurance company has charged me nothing for changing the wheels or the roof. Probably because I said they were done when I took the policy out(they weren’t but I new I’d do them)so I guess they charged me right from the start.

That’s good to hear. Individual insurance companies vary so much.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #193 on: 27 March 2021, 16:28 »
So having thought I got Alexa working, today absolutely no way that was going to work at all.

Although my hotspot was on, the car didn't connect to it automatically....needing some furious finger stabbing.

After it connected, it still didn't work.

Pain in the bum.

Also on the way to the shops my phone connected to the car bluetooth, on the way home it refused without me selecting the car on the phone and forcing it to connect.

Annoying.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #194 on: 27 March 2021, 16:28 »
Love that , looks well smart, helps with that colour
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #195 on: 27 March 2021, 16:45 »
Great job Dave1rs - wrap your mirror caps, black looks great and it'll be really cheap so nothing much to lose if you don't like it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #196 on: 27 March 2021, 17:07 »
Another thumbs up from here Dave :afro:
Really liking that  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #197 on: 28 March 2021, 13:41 »
Today I was up with the lark scrubbing my bells with the hairs off of a boar’s arse.

A bit of a day of reaffirmation really.

Being out with wash mitt in hand and a 40mph wind blowing my builders bum at 9am (8am equivalent) if there’s one thing I really appreciate it’s a car that works with me when cleaning it, rather than fussy angles, nooks and crannies.
A body panel is a body panel but canards and vents, honeycomb and grilles can make a difference between a pleasurable job and a chore.
The aero shape of the mk8 makes it a doddle to wash. The honeycomb holes are huge so it’s easy to get in there with a wash mitt and the exhaust tailpipes likewise.

Once back inside, thawing out with a cuppa and hot cross bun, another reaffirmation was presented.
The Golf 8R is still the fastest bestest car on the Internet
https://youtu.be/AmUwG9_UCms

(The poor relation still isn’t too bad either https://youtu.be/SsrdtcuxCH4 )
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #198 on: 28 March 2021, 14:16 »

The Golf 8R is still the fastest bestest car on the Internet
https://youtu.be/AmUwG9_UCms

(The poor relation still isn’t too bad either https://youtu.be/SsrdtcuxCH4 )

The matt watson video was surprisingly interesting. Never a contest between those two cars but it does show how manual cannot get close to auto shift for performance- even when rolling.
But where’s the driver engagement?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #199 on: 28 March 2021, 15:16 »
But where’s the driver engagement?

Driver engagement for the PlayStation Generation?

You do bring me on to another point about DSG.
Yes, it’s ultra rapid when launched and ultra easy when pootling in traffic which may or may not be everything you’re after depending on whether you’re a 9 to 5 city commuter by week and a MaccyD drag king/Queen at weekends or not.
Personally a find it very hit and miss.
Just like with DCC I don’t care what the VW boffins say about “superior efficiency”. I’m flesh and blood and not binary and don’t want to be forever adjusting various modes.
I find in many real world brisk driving situations DSG is very lacking. It’s like the TCU is having a committee meeting when you just want medium thrust providing nothing but a pregnant pause. Really frustrating.
The M135i was a lot better for this, oozing into a suitable gear without resorting to kicking down into too low a gear then giving a firm shove but still changing up nice and early to keep it smooth and flowing.
I’ve really bonded with the Clubsport but personally will still be glad when I can eventually get my hands on an Electric JCW hatch fitted with a pedalbox (fingers crossed) so I can have instant torque exactly when and how I want it (thereby giving everyone’s eyes and brains a deserved rest on here from my rantings).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner