Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115845 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #170 on: 23 March 2021, 02:20 »
Gave the ClubSport his first clean today after almost 3 weeks of exited, new car fun - I have 1,200 miles clocked already!  I am quite new to detailing and the car is ceramic coated, so it was only a basic job, but I am learning as I go.

Rinse with Nilfisk C110
Snowfoam with Koch Chemie Gentle Snow Foam & AutoBrite Foam Lance
Rinse
3-bucket contact wash using CarPro Reset shampoo, Microfibre Madness Incredimitt & Incrediflair Wheel Mitt, Wheel Woolies & Envy Detailing brushes
Rinse
Towel-dry using Klin Korea Evo
Quick Detail using FeynLab Detailer (matches my coating), Costco yellow MF cloths & Klin Korea Zero finishing cloth to buff
Exterior glass clean with AngelWax Vision & In2Detailing Korean Waffle Weave Glass Cloth

I left it quite late in the day and, being somewhat of a detailing newbie, took longer than I thought, so ended up struggling for light and had to streamline my planned regimen on the fly.  Ideally I wanted to use my new BLO AIR-S dryer, wanted to AngelWax H2Go the windscreen and wanted to polish up the exhaust tips with Auto Finesse Mercury but, alas, I was beaten by the sands of time.

Some thoughts...
The GSF went on well, once I had played around with the nozzle and mixture screw - it wasn't that thick but clung & ran off nice, though I felt it really didn't have the cleaning power.  I know the GSF isn't going to have the oomph that other foams have, as the clue is in the name....or maybe it was my mixture screw setting, as I only used just around half of the litre bottle on the whole car.  I will give it another go next time and see how it fairs.

On the other hand, I found Reset to be brilliant.  Whilst doing my research, I have seen lots of people raving about it and now I know why.  It suds up great, it glides the mitt across the paint and the grime that was concerningly left behind after the foam and rinse came away with barely any effort.  Very impressed.

The Incredimitt, IncrediFlair Wheel Mitt, Wheel Woolies & Envy brushes all worked great, although getting even the medium Wheel Wooly (small one isn't long enough) into the barrel of the front wheels (18s), past those ClubSport big brakes, was not happening.  I will need to see if I can get a thinner brush.

The Klin Korea Evo drying towel.  What a bit of kit this is!  Using pat-drying on the horizontal surfaces and gentle wiping for the vertical ones, it dried the whole car, no bother, no wringing out, in a few minutes.  Highly recommended.  Just get one!

FeynLab Detailer.  Used it because it's the same brand as my coating.  Goes on nice, buffs up nice, adds a nice gloss and it smells great!  Applied with Costco specials and buffed off with the Klin Zero, which seems a really nice finishing cloth.

With very little light remaining, I gave the exterior glass a wipe down with AngelWax Vision glass cleaner.  To be honest, I probably should've left this, as I was unable to see if there was any streaking, but hey ho, lesson learned.  I'm not sure about the cloth.  Ok for the first wipes but when flipped over to buff off, it really felt overly grabby.  I will give it another go in better conditions and maybe look for a different one to compare it to.

So, as I was out of light, I was unable to get any photos as I needed to pack away my kit (Booooo!) but I will try to grab a few in the morning before I head off to work.  All-in-all, I felt I did a decent job but definitely learned some lessons along the way.  Hopefully I can improve next time.

I will add some photos tomorrow, if it isn't raining in the morning.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #171 on: 23 March 2021, 14:22 »
Thank you Fred and Si for the Travel Assist tips and tricks and basically an excellent idiots guide.
I knew I’d get far better info here than thumbing through the manual that’s been sat gathering dust next to my bed for three months.

The roads I take to work are probably the worst possible ones to try it out on which is perfect in my eyes! Who could resist a ground level roller coaster ride to work after all?  :grin:

I’ll set max speed at around 55 mph as I know I can get away with carrying that speed through the worst of the bends and see how it goes. What could possibly go wrong?

I’ll hover one foot over the brake and take clean undies with me...

Next item on the agenda, Brocky, get those pics up, I need some mid-week inspiration after being too lazy to wash the car last weekend.  :whistle:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #172 on: 23 March 2021, 14:32 »
Just remember, with travel assist, you set a start speed but once it sees a speed limit sign it will adjust it upwards....(I think!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #173 on: 23 March 2021, 14:41 »
Just remember, with travel assist, you set a start speed but once it sees a speed limit sign it will adjust it upwards....(I think!)

Ahh, ok. Thanks for that Fred. :afro:
I’ll take maybe an extra two pairs of undies.

If nobody hears from me again...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #174 on: 23 March 2021, 14:56 »
Oh, I just remembered this.

“Here’s what I noticed about my mk8 a few weeks ago”

Has anyone noticed (apologies if this has been discussed before) that when you pull up into a car park or wherever and switch the engine off but leave the radio playing the clock freezes?
I sat listening to Scott Mills’ shenanigans a few weeks ago because I was running early and suddenly realised I’d heard Drivers Lisense for the third time and it was still saying 14:41 and... oh god, I’m late now! 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #175 on: 23 March 2021, 15:04 »
Not seen that one!

Another bug for VW  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #176 on: 23 March 2021, 15:45 »
Just tested this again, froze for about 5 mins this time then clock resumed working again.

I’ll try it again later this evening if I remember. I’m wondering if it needs the driver’s door open and then shut to put the car to sleep (interior lights etc go out) before turning the radio back on again.
The DAB info stayed live with current track etc yet the clock froze.

A bit of soak test experimentation required.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #177 on: 24 March 2021, 15:21 »
I am just going to ignore your post, Exonian, and will not be looking to see if this is happening with mine.  I have / have had enough software bugs and I don't need any more, thank you!  :grin:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #178 on: 24 March 2021, 15:58 »
Anyone with any sense would ignore all my posts!  :grin:

I got to work early so switched off the engine, let the centre screen say its goodbye, opened the driver’s door to kill the audio and interior lights, and then closed the door again.
I then manually turned the radio on via the (non illuminated  :rolleyes: ) buttonless button on the passenger (LHD driver’s) side of the screen base and sat there to patiently wait to see what the clock did. Yes, I am that tragic and dull.
After a few minutes the time had stayed frozen.
Now, at this point I made another discovery. Whilst I was sat there I opened up one of those short vid clips that workmates send to work group chats on my phone. What I didn’t know before was that the phone sneakily reconnects whilst you’re sat there staring into space, pondering life, whilst the radio merrily plays away - even with the car on general ‘hibernate’ standby mode. Not so surprising in itself maybe, but what did surprise me was when I played the vid on my phone (BT connection) the sound came out of the speakers! Thankfully nobody was about as it wasn’t the most polite!
Anyway, I rapidly removed the phone audio by hitting the radio widget on the cabin centre screen to get that audio stream back after the first W word and then noticed the clock time had changed, but it wasn’t the current time and had frozen again.
I’m sure there are other more interesting “a day in the life” stories out there but...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #179 on: 24 March 2021, 20:54 »
The Exonian’s clock watching chronicles episode three.

Back by huge popular demand!

Well, I finally think I’ve got to understand the foibles.

Ignition off, clock freezes.
Anything comes in via CarPlay and it briefly updates the time then freezes again.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner