Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115232 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #150 on: 19 March 2021, 08:32 »
Gen two device is supposed to be quicker with faster processor. I've still got a first gen and it works perfectly well 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #151 on: 19 March 2021, 09:16 »
Yeah being the tightwad I am and basically just wanting to dip into what is there, I went cheapest possible and I only use Android so....

I might need to pay for a pro licence if I want to dump the scan out to a file - I don't think I can do that - hence I spent 10 mins typing in my data to a post on here!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #152 on: 19 March 2021, 10:38 »
Found out you can turn off Lane Assist by pressing the button on indicator stalk, then ok haptic button on the wheel...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #153 on: 19 March 2021, 11:11 »
Found out you can turn off Lane Assist by pressing the button on indicator stalk, then ok haptic button on the wheel...

Yeah Brocky said about that :)

I've yet to try it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #154 on: 19 March 2021, 13:01 »

Yeah Brocky said about that :)

I've yet to try it.

Seems to be shortcuts for a few different things - has this swipe down method (quick access to disable stop/start as standard) with custom settings been mentioned on here yet?
It was also posted on volkswizards IG yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OmSC43tlbY
« Last Edit: 19 March 2021, 13:03 by GTD1414 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #155 on: 19 March 2021, 13:09 »
Yeah there is something about being able to customise the tiles/buttons but I've no idea how it works yet.

Loads of things I've not figured out about the interface.... mainly because I find it very very slow and randomnly seems to just decide to do weird things.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #156 on: 19 March 2021, 16:36 »
The swipe down thing I knew about.  I think I puled it down with an accidental gesture whilst I was still messing around on the dealer car park.  Now I instinctively do it upon first starting the engine to deactivate Stop/Start.

Adjusting the tiles, I also knew about as I had seen it mentioned as being possible on one of the Wrexham VW walk-round vids before I even got mine.  You just hold your finger on the tile for a second and it will lift and allow you to move it, like on an Android (and maybe IOS) phone, Fred.  Once lifted, it can be quite tricky to get it where you want it, though.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #157 on: 20 March 2021, 16:16 »
Today the Brocky Method proved itself with lane assist. Well done both Brocky and VW for putting the shortcut in.

Rewind to yesterday, Covid jab at 2pm, felt ok. Went in to work a 12 hour night shift, felt ok aside from a sore arm. Around midnight I contemplated paracetamol as I was feeling slightly achy but decided I was ok. 2am I had a cuppa and again contemplated paracetamol but thought I was still feeling pretty good.
By 3am I was aching like buggery.
By 4am I needed my bed so shut up shop and headed towards the work car park celebrity that is my Clubsport (you wouldn’t believe the amount of random people that come and find me to pay it compliments) to take me home.

Seatbelt on.
Started engine.
Found some 4am chill out music (Still Waters, The Trip seemed apt).
Flicked the bean into D.
Turned left and pointed the nose south west.
Remembered a little way down the road that lane assist was still activated as I passed parked cars and therefore having to cross the white line. This wasn’t nice with an extremely sore arm and having the wheel nudging it.
Engaged Brocky Method and remembered what a godsend that was for simplicity. We should start a sticky thread on here for mk8 tips and tricks. 

I can hardly remember the trip home. 13 miles of rural roads and the GTI showed it can do what a GTI is all about, it practically drove itself home, relaxing, comfortable and judging by my MPG’s quite briskly too.

Forget all that journo crap about bumpy ride and track orientated suspension. It is just crap.
The mk8 GTI’s even on 19’s and passive dampers are still remarkably comfortable cross country cars despite the fact their performance can happily mix it with the big boys. 

On a trip like that, feeling really unwell, even the slightest discomfort would have been magnified a dozen times.
Fact of the matter was I just jumped in, didn’t worry about driver profiles or any of the other techy gubbins other than CarPlay via Bluetooth (which is the most user friendly thing ever) and let the car get me home to my sick bed.
13 miles later I was sat with a cuppa and some paracetamol, having found Mr Chapple’s latest vid to tranquillise me into sleep.

Moral of the story: if you want pop music then buy British.
If you want a car, a washing machine or Covid jab then get something properly made by Germans.

Unfortunately I got the British Vauxhall Astra jab. 
Now where’s my painkiller pills....?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #158 on: 20 March 2021, 17:37 »
No covid jab for me, just a short trip to the DIY store... remembering the "Brocky lane assist kill" trick.... brilliant!

I can do that on the move and without even looking.

:cool:

Hope you feel better soon Exonian!

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #159 on: 20 March 2021, 18:19 »
'The Brocky Method'.  I feel honoured. :grin:

Although I'm more proud of Exonian's use of 'Flicking the bean', which I coined a couple of weeks back. I think that one might have a better chance of sticking in Mk.8 lore than 'The Brocky Method'.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport