Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115706 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #130 on: 12 March 2021, 01:13 »
Hmmm yes getting that crap setup is a nightmare.

Here's some tips:

1) Check you have the globe icon in white (not grey) top right of the screen. If you have this, its talking to the internet (either by esim or wifi). If its not white, you've got another problem!

2) Using your computer, go into the We Connect portal, select the car icon on the left and "vehicle administration".

3) Make a note of your VIN (copy and paste).

4) Delete the car from We Connect

5) Re-add your car, using the VIN that you kept from before.

6) Go into the car, delete the user.

7) Add the user back (username and password)- you will need BOTH keys with you.

8) Choose make the user the primary user and it will ask you to push the button on both keys, one after the other.

9) Job done

Why is all this neccessary? God knows. That knowledge I've given you took me an entire day.

After that it (mainly) works properly.

Basically the thing lacks any proper documentation or error messages. Its shoddy.

Interesting.  Thanks, Fred.  I will give it a whirl and report back tomorrow.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #131 on: 14 March 2021, 13:52 »

Here's some tips:

1) Check you have the globe icon in white (not grey) top right of the screen. If you have this, its talking to the internet (either by esim or wifi). If its not white, you've got another problem!

2) Using your computer, go into the We Connect portal, select the car icon on the left and "vehicle administration".

8) Choose make the user the primary user and it will ask you to push the button on both keys, one after the other.

9) Job done

Why is all this neccessary? God knows. That knowledge I've given you took me an entire day.

Basically the thing lacks any proper documentation or error messages. Its shoddy.

I just went through this and it worked for the most part.  I have a profile now. Thanks, Fred. You're a gent.

Still won't set me as primary user, though. It asked for my S-PIN when I got into the car and started it up.  It shows me in the 'Me' section but, if I go to access the shop, for example, it says "You need to become the primary user before you can access the shop". It gives the button to 'Become primary user' but pressing it gives me a second or so of the 'Please wait' circle and the gives the same screen again.  Going direct to the 'Set as primary user' in the 'Users' menu yields the same result.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 14 March 2021, 16:11 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #132 on: 14 March 2021, 17:45 »

Here's some tips:

9) Job done

I just went through this and it worked for the most part.  I have a profile now. Thanks, Fred. You're a gent.

Still won't set me as primary user, though. It asked for my S-PIN when I got into the car and started it up.  It shows me in the 'Me' section but, if I go to access the shop, for example, it says "You need to become the primary user before you can access the shop". It gives the button to 'Become primary user' but pressing it gives me a second or so of the 'Please wait' circle and the gives the same screen again.  Going direct to the 'Set as primary user' in the 'Users' menu yields the same result.

Any suggestions?

Turn off the cars esim,and connect to the phone for a data connection,far more reliable.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #133 on: 14 March 2021, 18:11 »
It has been connected to my home WiFi. The connection seems fine.  It set up a profile for me.  It just won't set me as the primary user, despite accepting my log-in, greeting me when I get in the car, accepting my S-PIN and me having both keys present.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #134 on: 14 March 2021, 18:53 »
Has it asked you for the two keys yet?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #135 on: 14 March 2021, 19:07 »
I followed your advice and took both keys with me when I was able to set up a user profile, Fred.  Not sure it has mentioned them at any point, though.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2021, 19:10 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #136 on: 14 March 2021, 19:50 »
You'll see it definitely ask for the keys, it's part of it setting up the primary user.

I had to drive for about fifteen minutes, to a place that I knew had a good mobile signal then try to make me primary user.

Vw actually told me that...

Then using the esim not a connection to my phone, I tried again and it said i needed both keys and I had to press the button on one after the other in a short period of time.

Try that...

It's an absolute faff.

If you haven't seen the two keys thing, you haven't actually got registered as primary user and until then the shop won't work or any software update ota...
« Last Edit: 14 March 2021, 19:52 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #137 on: 14 March 2021, 20:24 »
You'll see it definitely ask for the keys, it's part of it setting up the primary user.

I had to drive for about fifteen minutes, to a place that I knew had a good mobile signal then try to make me primary user.

Vw actually told me that...

Then using the esim not a connection to my phone, I tried again and it said i needed both keys and I had to press the button on one after the other in a short period of time.

Try that...

It's an absolute faff.

If you haven't seen the two keys thing, you haven't actually got registered as primary user and until then the shop won't work or any software update ota...
Yeah, it's friggin' annoying.  It's not as though I am crap with technology - I used to work in IT support, I build and configure gaming PCs as a hobby and I am the unofficial 'IT guy' at work that folks come to when they can't get tech to do what they want - so this is ridiculous!  :grin:

Thanks, Fred.  I will give that a try tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #138 on: 14 March 2021, 21:15 »
I've never seen something so badly documented and flakey in a consumer item like this.

Their helpline people don't exactly inspire confidence either, sounding like they've never actually seen the car or any of the screens before...

I can understand how someone who's less persistent than me just giving the bloody car back.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #139 on: 15 March 2021, 11:56 »
Just tried again. Nothing.

Excuse the dodgy video...

https://youtu.be/JiVwiQaweS0

*Edit* - Forgot to point out that I was connected using E-SIM.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2021, 12:20 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport