Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115000 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #120 on: 11 March 2021, 10:24 »
Today's brief golf moment was checking my tyre pressures. I actually expected to find them inflated by the dealer to the fully loaded values (41 psi). Instead they were all slightly under the light load values (38 psi). Could just be my crap electric pump not reading true but I've put them up to 38 anyway.

It didn't seem to make much difference to the ride and handling in a negative way anyway (had a quick blast to test my settings... Like you do)
I checked mine about an hour after picking it up and they were all 2-3psi over the light load value.  Don't forget to set your sensors.

Does the non HK  have the centre speaker.... might as well ask those in the know
Mine is non-HK and it does have the centre speaker.

I’d have thought it would tell you the individual pressure of each tyre on the infotainment display?
We got a fiesta that does and it even tells you in the FordPass app too.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #121 on: 11 March 2021, 10:34 »

I’d have thought it would tell you the individual pressure of each tyre on the infotainment display?

Doesn’t have tyre pressure sensors in the tyres ,so no pressure information.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 11 March 2021, 11:17 »

Doesn’t have tyre pressure sensors in the tyres ,so no pressure information.

The TPMS used in the Golf is an indirect system that uses the ABS sensors to monitor the rotational speed of the wheels. A loss in air pressure in a tyre would mean the rotational speed of that tyre would be different to the others, which would trigger a loss of pressure warning.

Not having the actual tyre pressure displayed doesn’t concern me; IMHO there’s no substitute for manually checking tyre pressures and I do this as part of other regular checks (e.g. under-bonnet fluid levels, condition of tyres) to ensure the tyres are at the correct pressure. I consider the TPMS to be a back-up system, rather than the primary or sole means of ensuring tyre pressures are OK.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #123 on: 11 March 2021, 11:19 »
Yup ABS sensor tyre deflation detection only.

Probably be thankful for that as more advanced systems can be a right old ball ache, with things costing you lots of money when they go wrong.

TBH just knowing that your tyres are low is suffucient. If I could read on my dash that it was 4psi low it wouldn't help me inflate it and when i did I'd see the gauge.

Some more industrial vehicles have centralised tyre pressure systems that allow you to adjust the pressure from in the vehicle. Useful for big off road things. That's more impressive, can't say I've seen that on any cars in my money bracket though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #124 on: 11 March 2021, 13:07 »
Today's Golf 8 challenge.... try and work out the HK audio rather than stab at the buttons.

The user guide has nothing in it. Literally no mention of it at all.

So I called VW.... VW say "its not a VW product, we don't know anything about it"

So I called HK.... HK say "its not a standalone product, VW licence the technology, we can't help you"

I've just sent a shouty email to VW.... I expect I'll get some waffle filled "f*** you" email back.

Not impressed for a factory £700 option.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #125 on: 11 March 2021, 13:38 »
I meant it as a positive that the golf doesn’t have tyre pressure sensors,they are awful things.

Often break,far too sensitive.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #126 on: 11 March 2021, 14:28 »
I did a factory reset of my Infotainment in the hope that it would resolve issues with the VW wake word not working and not being able to set myself as Primary User.  The wake word works now, which is nice, but I still get the infinite spinning 'Please Wait' circle after entering my e-mail address and password for VW:ID.  I have tried it whilst connected to my home WiFi as well as connected to my phone hotspot, but still no joy.  :undecided:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #127 on: 11 March 2021, 14:39 »
Hmmm yes getting that crap setup is a nightmare.

Here's some tips:

1) Check you have the globe icon in white (not grey) top right of the screen. If you have this, its talking to the internet (either by esim or wifi). If its not white, you've got another problem!

2) Using your computer, go into the We Connect portal, select the car icon on the left and "vehicle administration".

3) Make a note of your VIN (copy and paste).

4) Delete the car from We Connect

5) Re-add your car, using the VIN that you kept from before.

6) Go into the car, delete the user.

7) Add the user back (username and password)- you will need BOTH keys with you.

8) Choose make the user the primary user and it will ask you to push the button on both keys, one after the other.

9) Job done

Why is all this neccessary? God knows. That knowledge I've given you took me an entire day.

After that it (mainly) works properly.

Basically the thing lacks any proper documentation or error messages. Its shoddy.

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #128 on: 11 March 2021, 18:21 »
I had similar issues logging in and setting up as primary user. Tried factory reset and deleting me as user. Only thing that worked was a series of system updates which took about 3 days to push through.

Once that was done I could finally sign in and set primary user. Software is still buggy though so I’ve booked it in to do a dealership update.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #129 on: 11 March 2021, 22:05 »
Christ, what a faff.

I’m fully settled into being “guest”  https://youtu.be/afzmwAKUppU
The car mostly works on that setting, granted it doesn’t greet me by name or do anything I request over a mobile phone link but neither do my cats and I’ve come to terms with that too.

Mk7(.5) life was much simpler, not to mention BMW.
Hell, I could still unlock my BMW for weeks and weeks after I parted company with it and it was around 180 miles away! It even told me how much of my tank of Momentum was left in it without me ever having to jump through hoops to set it up.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner