Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115322 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #90 on: 03 March 2021, 14:58 »
Also....and this may be me just not being used to DSG....Sports mode feels a bit weird in that, when I am just driving normally, it doesn't seem to settle down and sits in 3rd gear around 3,000 revs until it gets to about 40mph, then sits in 4th.  Is that normal?  Driving at 30-35 in 3rd gear seems a bit weird....even for Sports mode.  In comfort mode, it would be in 5th or 6th at 30-35.  Are my expectations skewed that it should still settle into at least 4th, even in sports mode, when not accelerating at 30mph?   Does the DSG kind of learn your driving style over time and adjusts to it and it's just 'getting used to me', so to speak?

Other than that, though, I am thoroughly chuffed to bits with the car.

Oh and a kind of embarrassing newbie question:- Is Eco mode for motorway cruising or for stop/start traffic about town kind of driving?  :whistle:

On my 7.5 the dsg is a bit of a pain so I generally just leave it in D. S does hold on to the revs too long so unless you are driving really hard I find it a bit pointless.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 03 March 2021, 15:19 »
Congrats Brocky

Eco mode is for laboratory use when WLTP testing only.
Unless you’ve slightly misjudged your “miles to empty” and found your local fuel station has closed early on a Sunday evening  :whistle:

DSG is weird. Never mind having about 80 modes for DCC, the DSG could do with a few more modes for real world driving. Best advice I was given on here was to cruise around in D then snick the lever (yes, a lever! Remember those? Now we just have nuggets) backwards into S to pull out of junctions or busy roundabouts then snick it back to D again once moving.
Using more throttle will hold the revs a bit better some days but other days the ‘box chooses to ignore your demands unless you physically flick something plastic.
It becomes second nature after a while.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 03 March 2021, 17:34 »
Not trying to provoke the old pedal box debate, any opinions on throttle mapping compared to the mk7?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #93 on: 03 March 2021, 17:59 »
Seems quite eager actually. I think it's changed a fair bit but i never found my gtd having a dead pedal.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #94 on: 03 March 2021, 20:54 »
I’d be the first person whingeing if the pedal response was remotely dull but I find it ok so far actually.
Mind you I felt the TCR pedal wasn’t too bad either so the common denominator there is DSG.
With the gearbox feeling like you’ve either dipped your toes in tepid porridge on the one hand or in Sport mode it feels like you’ve stepped on a roller skate in a dark hallway it kind of masks all sorts of evils.
I’m also running the car in gently as I’m old fashioned about stuff like that, but even so, the response seems ok.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #95 on: 07 March 2021, 15:41 »
Today, after being indirectly reminded by Brocky (completely unbeknownst to Brocky) I finally remembered to fit my footrest.
Said item was originally provided to me by p3asa and has previously lived in my R, Ed40 and TCR.

Is it just me or does the mk8 slightly resemble a Scirocco from some angles?
Excuse piss poor quality of photo but I was leaning upside down in my toolbox at the time taking the shot from inside the garage and the light was really bad.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: 07 March 2021, 16:06 »
Is it just me or does the mk8 slightly resemble a Scirocco from some angles?
Excuse piss poor quality of photo but I was leaning upside down in my toolbox at the time taking the shot from inside the garage and the light was really bad.

No, it’s not just you. I’d never looked at a mk8 and thought it looked like the Scirocco, but now you’ve planted that seed, I can see where you’re coming from.

Always thought the Scirocco was a good looking car, although IMHO those two small bumps on the top of the tailgate spoiler - presumably there to accommodate the tailgate hinges - always looked a bit odd.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #97 on: 08 March 2021, 00:52 »
I hadn't thought of it either but can see what you're saying now.

I almost bought a Scirocco GTS (the one with the stripes) in Indium Grey a fair few years ago but cancelled my order at the last minute as talk of the facelift emerged.  Then things changed and I never followed up.  It is still a cracking looking car, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPiNj0F1uWQ

Exonian, you're welcome.  My motivational speaking business is up and running!  :grin:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #98 on: 08 March 2021, 09:45 »
Loved my Rocco - My wife always tells me it was her most favourite car that I've owned.

This was mine back in 2011 (gratuitous image)

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #99 on: 08 March 2021, 12:47 »
@sootchucker. I looked at the scirocco at the time just couldn't figure out the rear of the car. Got a mk2TT instead, although these photos do look good. You don't see many of them around now.