Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 110426 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #450 on: 04 July 2021, 22:02 »
Thanks for the advice Will.

Yes, I do have a garage and I could also lay the car up whilst it’s being done but whether I’d actually find time to do it is another thing.
The car would need a full detail and machine polish first and I don’t have the kit or enthusiasm to do it these days let alone the time.

Our detailing mod once told me that Gyon wet coat would suit my needs but getting the car into the condition (totally swirl and mark free) in the first place is the main barrier. Myself and/or the car seem to be on the move much of the time so I just try and wash it regularly and that’s about as far as it gets.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #451 on: 04 July 2021, 23:38 »
Sorry, but the Richmonds still look dreadful to me. Unforgivable on the Clubsport in particular imo.

I have them on my GTI and they are better in person, however, I have had my car a little under a week now and I want rid of them! I think they change the look of the car, in a bad way. I can’t believe when you buy a CS they come with these wheels.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #452 on: 05 July 2021, 12:22 »
Sorry, but the Richmonds still look dreadful to me. Unforgivable on the Clubsport in particular imo.

I have them on my GTI and they are better in person, however, I have had my car a little under a week now and I want rid of them! I think they change the look of the car, in a bad way. I can’t believe when you buy a CS they come with these wheels.

Its annoying that no other 18s are an option. The std R ones are ok. I have been wondering what the replica Estorils, Spielbergs, clubsports (Brescia) all in 18" would look like. Theres always the Pretoria18 option too.

A few to chose from here:

https://cmwheels.com/product/18%e2%80%b3-2021-vw-golf-r-estoril-style-wheels-gloss-black-machined/
https://cmwheels.com/product/18-vw-spielberg-style-wheels-gloss-gun-metal/
https://cmwheels.com/product/18-vw-clubsport-style-wheels-gun-metal-machined/

« Last Edit: 05 July 2021, 13:52 by carbon337 »
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #453 on: 05 July 2021, 15:17 »

Personally I couldn't agree more with you!  Each to their own of course but I think the Richmonds are just an awful design and unforgiveable, especially on a Clubsport!  It's really poor from VW IMO that they don't come with a better looking 18" wheel or at least offer a low cost 18" option. I think these genuine VW 18" Pretorias Matt Dark Graphite look superb and had my car not already had 19" Adelaides these are what I'd be putting on my car.

« Last Edit: 05 July 2021, 15:19 by TommyCockles »

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #454 on: 05 July 2021, 15:50 »
They look nice, I think on the darker cars the Richmond a do look better but the lighter colours pull off the darker colours well. I’d have some 18” Pretoria’s but they’d need to be silver or gunmetal grey for my Blue CS I think
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Shalako

• Not said much yet
« Reply #455 on: 05 July 2021, 19:03 »

My CS came with the Richmond alloys, I know I’m in the minority but I actually think they look good and suit the car, I would still have preferred the 19” Adelaides but I’m not going to bother changing them….perhaps one day I will look at them and go ‘oh yes I see what they are on about now’ but for now I’m happy - at least I won’t have to worry about anyone stealing them as everyone hates them so much.  :smiley:

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #456 on: 06 July 2021, 20:25 »
Thanks for the advice Will.

Yes, I do have a garage and I could also lay the car up whilst it’s being done but whether I’d actually find time to do it is another thing.
The car would need a full detail and machine polish first and I don’t have the kit or enthusiasm to do it these days let alone the time.

Our detailing mod once told me that Gyon wet coat would suit my needs but getting the car into the condition (totally swirl and mark free) in the first place is the main barrier. Myself and/or the car seem to be on the move much of the time so I just try and wash it regularly and that’s about as far as it gets.

That's fair enough the kit itself would cost more than paying someone to do it, get a few quotes with it being such a new car and depending on the dealership it might be in relatively good condition already (previously bought a car and pretty much needed no work at all prior to coating).

From what you say you sound fairly similar to myself and like the car sitting pristine even though you may not always get the time to wash it.

My recommendation would get a few quotes in your area for a 6-12 month coating and a longer 2-5year 2 part coating (Go to coatings would be Gtechniq, Gyeon or CarPro) possibly get the gloss black B-pillars wrapped in clear ppf (Shouldn't cost much but it is a massive benefit).

If you were local to me, I'd help you out for some beer tokens but unfortunately I doubt I can swim the Irish Sea  :tongue:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Verve34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #457 on: 25 July 2021, 11:20 »
Today I’ve had a productive couple of hours in my friends workshop wrapping my roof(under his guidance lol).

He does wraps tints etc for a living,anyway I’m very pleased with the results.

That looks ace I was going to change the colour of my prets but looking at black / moonstone  it should look fine black/dolphin grey
67 Polo GTI Reflex Silver
19 Polo GTI+ Black
70  Golf GTI Performance Pure White
21 Golf Clubsport Dolphin Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #458 on: 29 September 2021, 05:39 »
Today I put the heated steering wheel on for the first time in months and months. Deliberately too, not caught by accident!
4:30 am and 7 degrees C, brrrrrr!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #459 on: 29 September 2021, 09:27 »
Today I put the heated steering wheel on for the first time in months and months. Deliberately too, not caught by accident!
4:30 am and 7 degrees C, brrrrrr!

Your post made me try it myself this morning.

Toasty!  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC