Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 117478 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #160 on: 20 March 2021, 21:16 »
No covid jab for me, just a short trip to the DIY store... remembering the "Brocky lane assist kill" trick.... brilliant!

I can do that on the move and without even looking.

:cool:

Hope you feel better soon Exonian!

Thanks Fred. Feeling loads better as the day goes on unlike poor Mrs Exonian who has really copped for it. She’s been very unwell with post jab nasties.
Still, it meant a rare day of self sufficiency so I made a chicken curry and followed it up with (cold) Sainsbury's hot cross buns! Choice of entertainment was a massive fail though, Borat 2 was an hour of my life I’ll never get back.

I’ve been using the Brocky Merhod every trip the last couple days. Saves having to remember to disable the feature via the screen at the start of the journey, it can now easily be done on the fly.

'The Brocky Method'.  I feel honoured. :grin:

Although I'm more proud of Exonian's use of 'Flicking the bean', which I coined a couple of weeks back. I think that one might have a better chance of sticking in Mk.8 lore than 'The Brocky Method'.

The bean flick I first mentioned in my tyre fitting parody in January but you’re welcome to take the copyright for that one, I’m a gentleman and don’t want such things associated with me  :whistle:  :grin:

Edging the car out of the tyre depot I flicked the gear bean into Sport mode...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #161 on: 20 March 2021, 21:28 »
Damn. I felt proud of that.   :grin:

In my defence against the crime of plagiarism, m'lud, I wasn't even a member in January.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #162 on: 20 March 2021, 21:30 »
I'm claiming "chicken nugget" though... And "clubby"  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #163 on: 20 March 2021, 21:31 »
Glad you are better though Exonian. Chicken curry with hot cross buns for mopping....hmmm I wonder if that will catch on...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #164 on: 20 March 2021, 21:43 »
No, that one can be all yours Brocky, I’m disowning it  :grin:

Thanks again Fred. Fingers crossed I don’t follow it all up with food poisoning  :laugh:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #165 on: 21 March 2021, 18:47 »
I had my first proper go at motorway driving today, other than the first day I picked it up.

Quite impressed it managed 40mpg on a decent run at 70mph.

I also let Travel Assist do its stuff on some a roads. It slowed down for roundabouts, corners and changes in speed limits. Quite impressive, i hovered near the brake pedal but didn't have to intervene.

Some of the getting back on the gas out of the corners it's slowed down on is a little terrifying but...

I also noticed it coasting for the first time too. That's interesting. It doesn't switch off the engine, but it does disengage the engine and sits at tick over revs.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2021, 18:49 by fredgroves »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #166 on: 22 March 2021, 11:14 »
Is Travel Assist easy to set up?
No, I’m obviously not going to RTFM!  :grin:

I quite fancy testing it out on my way to work as the traffic is usually fairly light going both ways.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #167 on: 22 March 2021, 11:57 »

I quite fancy testing it out on my way to work as the traffic is usually fairly light going both ways.

Yeah dead easy!

Make sure Lane Assist isn't disabled and press the Travel Assist button (on the left hand buttons, its the bottom right hand one).

The initial speed is set like ACC, with the + and - keys.

Once its turned on you get a green travel assist light up on the AID.

You will see as you approach a bend or a roundabout, on the AID it will say things like "bend, speed 31mph" and it will slow down. It will also slow down or accelerate as it sees speed limit signs.

Like ACC, hitting the brakes turns it off.

Just watch out though, assuming there are no cars in front of you, it will go at whatever the speed limit is, unless it THINKS the corner needs braking.... can be interesting/terrifying if you hit a country road bend at 60mph....

Also roundabouts, it slows but you need to watch for crossing traffic and brake... also a queue of traffic on the other side of the roundabout could be masked from the radar.... be careful!

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #168 on: 22 March 2021, 11:58 »

It's a piece of cake. Engage two buttons your travel assist top button on your steering wheel and if you have road sign speed / monitoring turned on just press the bottom of steering wheel then it's all controlled just need to set your marker distance between your cars

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #169 on: 22 March 2021, 12:03 »
My other tip for it, don't have ACC set to sport mode.... or the speed pickup is a bit nuts, amplifying the out of the corner crazy rollercoaster ride!

I'm sure its perfectly ok really, you just have to get used to it driving nothing like you would normally, the gas comes on not when you or I would normally,  just concentrate on steering and hover over the brake pedal!

Probably works best on anything but English country roads!