Author Topic: Difficulties with brake pads  (Read 1861 times)

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
Difficulties with brake pads
« on: 25 June 2022, 15:44 »
This is a bit of a moan really. I have been trying to get brake pads for my car. Twice I have ordered sets from previously trusted sellers on ebay, and twice they have arrived damaged due to insuffcient packaging.

This clip/sping thing could probably be straightened, but why should I need to?

Has anyone else had this, the clip thinging doesn't look praticularly robust.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: Difficulties with brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2022, 08:29 »
So long as the spring clip hasn't torn through the rivet then I'd just bend back the spring clip.....annoying yes, but its not worth the hassle of waiting for it being collected again & a new set sent out...& most stuff like that is shipped out as packing free as possible...

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2022, 09:22 »
I think i will just try bending it back then. I don't think it is safety related as such, it looks to be there to prevent pad noises and rattles.

The previous set which I received had the clip broken off completely, so they certainly had to go back though.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2022, 17:21 »
It is, The small spring bracket is there to put a bit of pressure on the pad when fitted to stop the pad rattling about.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2022, 12:17 »
I'm sure you already know, but it's very easy to return with eBay if you do have a problem. Sellers just don't add extra packing as it saves a tiny bit of money on every sale

I need new front discs and pads on mine so will look out for this. Out of interest, what type of pads are they? Not sure if I should try some different ones or not

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2022, 12:27 »
Why ebay?
Why not ECP or the like, virtually the same price from what I recall & they package up properly iirc
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2022, 12:41 »
If you can wait a week or so I've found Autodoc very competitive and you have much bigger range to choose from than ECP and its clones.  Only downside is things are shipped from Germany so no use for something super urgent. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2022, 14:11 »
Why ebay?
Why not ECP or the like, virtually the same price from what I recall & they package up properly iirc

I have had bad experiences with them in the past, and they are more expensive. They only seem to list Eicher, Pagid and Brembo for the PP GTI as well. The brembo which they sell are not all that good (Made in china by Alklied Nippon, and the Pagid are now one of their own brands. As for Eicher they are cheap sh*te.

I have a few sellers that I normally use on ebay and generally I haven't had any issues.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2022, 14:14 by symonh2000 »
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2022, 14:13 »
If you can wait a week or so I've found Autodoc very competitive and you have much bigger range to choose from than ECP and its clones.  Only downside is things are shipped from Germany so no use for something super urgent.

I used them once for an EGR valve for my BMW. They sent the wrong item, and it was an absolute nightmare trying to return it. Even then I had to get Paypal involved for a refund.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2022, 14:16 »
I'm sure you already know, but it's very easy to return with eBay if you do have a problem. Sellers just don't add extra packing as it saves a tiny bit of money on every sale

I need new front discs and pads on mine so will look out for this. Out of interest, what type of pads are they? Not sure if I should try some different ones or not

They are standard OEM replacement Textar. I have had them in the past on other cars and found them to be pretty good. I had an ebay voucher, and there was a 15% discount running on certain sellers so I got them for £33 all in. Normally they are around £50
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i