Author Topic: Fly sound  (Read 699 times)

Offline jonesltd

• I live here
  • MK7 R
Fly sound
« on: 02 June 2022, 15:48 »
Right this is a long shot but here goes. The car in low gear from the exhaust when driving sounds like a bunch of flies all buzzing together from the passenger outlets or at least towards the rear of the car. Any guesses as to what it is? Everything is tight and not wobbly  :undecided:
If you cant find it......Grind it

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Fly sound
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2022, 18:05 »
I had the same and it was the wifes sunglasses vibrating in the middle cubby hole but it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. These cars throw sounds all over the place so you need to check everywhere.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2022, 18:20 »
These cars throw sounds all over the place so you need to check everywhere.

Agree.

@jonesltd; take a passenger out with you so they can be a second pair of ears to help track down the noise source. They can also sit in different locations in your car and apply pressure to pieces of interior trim that are potential sources of the noise to see if it stops. Alternatively, if you have named drivers on you insurance, get one of them to drive while you do the listening and prodding of the interior trim.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2022, 19:39 »
I wonder if the underbody heatshield has come loose and has dropped down and is now rubbing on the exhaust??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2022, 21:17 »
When I was getting ready for my holiday a couple of weeks ago I was putting stuff in the boot and was amazed how much space there is under the rear deck around the space saver, anything in there is going to echo and fly around.... I'm thinking of maybe putting a foam insert in the space saver... but maybe look in there.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline jonesltd

• I live here
  • MK7 R
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2022, 22:23 »
It’s defo outside underneath so guessing the heat shield thingy. Is it easy to fix?
If you cant find it......Grind it

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2022, 09:46 »
If it's outside then check the brake lines are secure as they have been known to buzz. Heatshields tend to rattle when loose.