Author Topic: Seat comfort issue  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
Re: Seat comfort issue
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2022, 09:09 »
It was that and the generally highish levels of road / wind noise that were the only two negatives I had with four years of GTI PP 7.5 ownership.

What tyres did you run? I found the oem Bridgestone were like plastic, lots of NVH in the car.

Swapped to Michelin PS4 and the car is transformed, noticeably quieter and more comfortable.

I ended up with PS4's all round and they were an improvement, though it's always difficult to be precise about the improvements as going from any worn tyre to a brand new tyre is going to reduce road noise.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2022, 11:41 »
My fronts were 2k miles old when I got rid so I think it’s a tyre thing.

PS4 for me are amazing.

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2022, 20:24 »
I suffered with issues down my right leg and bum when I drove any journey of greater than about 1½ hours. On several occasions the pain was so great that I couldn't keep my foot on the throttle and had to pull over and get out for 10 or 15 minutes. I tried the seat in all manner of different positions and never resolved the issue.

It was that and the generally highish levels of road / wind noise that were the only two negatives I had with four years of GTI PP 7.5 ownership.
I've now just taken delivery of a new SQ5 and so far it is a significant step ahead on both those issues, but obviously at a higher price point.

Like Pete said, it's tyres - I switched from Bridgestone which were incredibly noisy, to Michelin Cross climate - the car is virtually silent on A roads and motorways, i can only hear the engine and that is quiet and well insulated.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2022, 20:34 »
I suffered with issues down my right leg and bum when I drove any journey of greater than about 1½ hours. On several occasions the pain was so great that I couldn't keep my foot on the throttle and had to pull over and get out for 10 or 15 minutes. I tried the seat in all manner of different positions and never resolved the issue.

I've now just taken delivery of a new SQ5 and so far it is a significant step ahead on both those issues, but obviously at a higher price point.

Like Pete said, it's tyres - I switched from Bridgestone which were incredibly noisy, to Michelin Cross climate - the car is virtually silent on A roads and motorways, i can only hear the engine and that is quiet and well insulated.

I've just fitted PS4's in 235/40/18 and whilst they're good I had Asy 5's before and I can't feel too much difference between them in terms of comfort. Although I do think the PS4s are louder on the road. Could be just me though.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2022, 22:40 »

[/quote]

I've just fitted PS4's in 235/40/18 and whilst they're good I had Asy 5's before and I can't feel too much difference between them in terms of comfort. Although I do think the PS4s are louder on the road. Could be just me though.
[/quote]

It’s the oem tyres that’s the biggest issue, the Bridgestone S001. They roar at virtually any speed and crash over bumps.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2022, 10:00 »
Have a read of this - https://www.easyposturebrands.com/blogs/articles-1/8-ways-to-stop-right-leg-pain-while-driving

Also, it might be worth seeing a physio, you may have another issue that is exacerbated by driving. Life causes tight muscles which may not exhibit pain except under certain circumstances. A few sessions may sort you out. If the seat has been okay before, chances are that it is still okay.

Home working and long driving are one of the 'modern' syndromes of back and hip issues, and general weakness in these areas, due to the muscles being overly relaxed for long periods, lock down exacerbated the issue for many also, for example, the abductor is a really key muscle, it drives a lot of movement and with other muscles gives you good strong stability, and normal day to day walking, and stairs is normally enough for most to keep in enough shape and strength to avoid issues, but prolonged driving and sitting will eventually shorten that muscle and a bunch of 'niggles' develop as balance of that part of body becomes a bit disparate. Its not an injury that you feel happen, it becomes chronic over time, and only way to resolve is regular exercises that focus on that area, increase of activity and lessen desk and where can driving for long periods.

Not actually saying its this, it could just be you have faulty seats where something has given way, but having had 9 years of driving in MK 7/7.5 Golfs seats have never been an issue for me, and there might be another cause and that some increase in strengthening lower body might remove. Again might not be applicable to you, but this modern phenomenon is definitely a thing
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2022, 10:37 »
The mk7 seats have less padding than the mk6 and I notice the difference when moving from one to the other. While not uncomfortable the mk7 does take more time to adjust than the mk6. Perhaps a little more padding (thin cushion) might help some people. I think Hertsman is hinting that getting older might be a also part of the problem  :grin: It is certainly mine being a long way past retirement age!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Imteyaz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2022, 13:01 »
How about this for an option:

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/41570-new-seat-i%E2%80%99m-in-love/

MK8 GTI seats in a MK7..... apparently 'plug and play' with the exception of the heated option not currently working.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2022, 13:40 »

[/quote]

It’s the oem tyres that’s the biggest issue, the Bridgestone S001. They roar at virtually any speed and crash over bumps.
[/quote] have you got the pressures set correctly? S001s are really a summer tyre as when they are warm they are actually a good tyre.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

chopper216

« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2022, 16:03 »
Anything over 30 mins and I start to suffer too, I put it down to going from Recaro sports seats in my previous couple of STs to the less supported leather ones in the Golf, find myself moving around to try and ease the suffering.